E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HELP NEEDED! M5 brake retrofit problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by al_ongvano
If all the lines are okey and no air in the system, maybe it is a defective M5 caliper. Just my 2 cents
Shop will run a final test tomorrow;

1- they will install stock rotors and calipers (to make sure car is braking fine)

2- they will replace ONE stock rotor and caliper for an M5's, if the car brakes fine, they will replace another caliper and rotor and make sure car STILL brakes fine, and so on until they find the defective caliper(s).

Does this makes sense?
Old 12-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

I hope the shop has been keeping the reservoir full of brake fluid while all this bleeding has been done and every time the lines are opened the car must be bled. any pics of whats going on too would help
Old 12-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 with 1M front bumper,20"AC Schnitzer wheeels,M5 front and rear brakes,M5 rear bumper with quad exhausts H&R Anti roll bars, Fully adjustable coilovers, re-mapped,Fully enclosed AFE cold air intake filter,Full Lci black grained leather trim
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 3.0i

I too have fitted the M5 brakes, front and rear,to a 2004 530i Sport and mine work fine without any other mods.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by kdarcia007
Shop will run a final test tomorrow;

1- they will install stock rotors and calipers (to make sure car is braking fine)

2- they will replace ONE stock rotor and caliper for an M5's, if the car brakes fine, they will replace another caliper and rotor and make sure car STILL brakes fine, and so on until they find the defective caliper(s).

Does this makes sense?
That should work. GL
Old 12-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by al_ongvano
That should work. GL
Fingers crossed bud!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
I hope the shop has been keeping the reservoir full of brake fluid while all this bleeding has been done and every time the lines are opened the car must be bled. any pics of whats going on too would help
They have been doing this, every time
Old 12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

How can we find WHICH caliper is defective?

You'd have to pressure test the calipers to make sure there are no leaks. Check the piston seals too. Also, the bleeder valve goes bad sometimes so I'd have them check that too.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
Still doesn't make sense. Memeber 525iEnjoy has done this without issues without such issues. This still sounds like there is air in the system. Is your shop BMW qualitfied? There's one more method of bleeding the brakes using the GT1 computer. There's what's called a DSC flush. My indy guy did this for me a while back where your car will be hooked up to the computer and the DSC unit will circulate as each corner of the brakes are bled. The process fills the DSC unit will fluid to make sure there is no air in the system.
We ran the test, put all 4 stock calipers, we made sure my car was braking fine, and it was.

We did the test by changing one M5 rotor and caliper at the time, special care and attention was given to the bleeding and the reservoir.

Results of the test:

- Everytime they installed an M5 rotor/caliper, I could feel the car breaking softer.

So, everytime we did the test and we felt the car braking softer, we changed back to all stock and test it again, car braking was good when all stock.

We changed all 4 M5 calipers and rotors individually, and every time we had one M5 installed, the braking was crap.

NOTE: The time we had 2 M5 calipers and rotors installed, the car didn't brake for shit!

My mechanic is Bmw certified and he tells me he doesn't see anything defective about any of the calipers, his logic tells him that the BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER might be damaged of underperforming, that I should consider replacing with the M5 BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER, that be default, braking should be good.

What do you guys think?

M5 calipers are fine.
No air in the lines.
No leaks anywhere.

Please help me
Old 12-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

We ran the test, put all 4 stock calipers, we made sure my car was braking fine, and it was.

We did the test by changing one M5 rotor and caliper at the time, special care and attention was given to the bleeding and the reservoir.

Results of the test:

- Everytime they installed an M5 rotor/caliper, I could feel the car breaking softer.

So, everytime we did the test and we felt the car braking softer, we changed back to all stock and test it again, car braking was good when all stock.

We changed all 4 M5 calipers and rotors individually, and every time we had one M5 installed, the braking was crap.

NOTE: The time we had 2 M5 calipers and rotors installed, the car didn't brake for shit!

My mechanic is Bmw certified and he tells me he doesn't see anything defective about any of the calipers, his logic tells him that the BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER might be damaged of underperforming, that I should consider replacing with the M5 BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER, that be default, braking should be good.

What do you guys think?

M5 calipers are fine.
No air in the lines.
No leaks anywhere.

Please help me

Wow, that is a real puzzle. If the brake master cylinder is defective, even with the OEM rotors it would still be soft. GL
Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

What are you using for the brake pads? New? Used?

since it seems that your brakes are not working for you I'll give you $200 for you m5 brake system

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED! M5 brake retrofit problem