E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Heated steering retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

umm... yes it should have the socket for the blue connector! that's for the heated steering wheel and temperature sensor... It must regulate how much volt travel through the steering wheel.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

It didn't work, so they are now programming the car with the famous 'FA code' gave by BMW.
Still they don't know if it will work, because it isn't an official retrofit.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

Wow, I forgot at home my original instrument cluster and they couldn't reprogram the car. So tomorrow I will have to come back there with the cluster

So keep in mind (I knew it but didn't think at the moment I started from home), when you have to reprogram the car you have to bring with you your original cluster :thumbsdown:
Old 12-23-2008, 02:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='750682' date='Dec 22 2008, 04:54 PM
Wow, I forgot at home my original instrument cluster and they couldn't reprogram the car. So tomorrow I will have to come back there with the cluster

So keep in mind (I knew it but didn't think at the moment I started from home), when you have to reprogram the car you have to bring with you your original cluster :thumbsdown:
hey alex.. any news?
Old 12-23-2008, 03:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='751168' date='Dec 23 2008, 12:31 PM
hey alex.. any news?

Yes, they are programming it right now.
I brought this morning the factory instrument cluster (I have M5 on), then come back home. THEN they called me saying that the Dension Gateway500 might create problems, so flew to the dealer with the button to bypass it during service.
NOW I hope they will program this damn car!

Ah, was told they replaced the coil spring because mine didn't have connector/pins inside.
I replied "?? It's only one for every E60" and he "No, there is only one as spare part, but your car had no pins coil spring"
So I think they will want EUR 130 for the coil spring + 587984758754754 EUR for the job. I think I will give them EUR 200/250 as total.
They will want a lot of money and we will quarrel: I can't give them EUR 500 for mounting a steering.

Edit: I have a 166 new in the box with invoice arrived from Germany on Friday: I will give it as payment: the dear old barter.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

Update:
They cannot reprogram the car because of the M5 instrument cluster. They installed the old cluster and they told me all is blocked with lights on, so they are evaluating to reinstall everything as it was 2 days ago (non heatable steering and M5 cluster) and give me the car back.
Now I need suggestions from people with M5 cluster and who had reprogrammed the car recently reinstalling the factory one.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

Last update:

They attempted to change the coil spring (mine doesn't have two pins inside it) and the SZL behind it.
Put factory cluster than attempted to program the car. No way to do it.

This morning I arrived there and they told me "No, you cannot pick up the car, you will have to do your vacation with another car".
Me: ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?? I need the car, full stop
Technician: you don't have driver airbag and active steering, if it is okay for you..
Me:

In the meantime they fixed those errors, reput M5 cluster and I picked up the car.
During the travel to home, I noticed I cannot read mp3 from USB-Dension: when arrived at home, noticed the main CD with Mp3 was unreadable. Plus the USB port didn't work ====> mp3 feature disabilited.
So now I lost mp3 function and.. I will have to burn two CD-RW and use the CD-Charger.

And in January I will have to come back there to activate mp3 (full programation or what? How much time will they need to give me mp3 back?).

I told the dealer owner "Mr. X, I cannot pay you to have the car without airbag and steering..."
Dealer: "Two men lost two days on your car... Next time NO MORE MODS, only service, oil, brakes etc., but do these kind of jobs at your friends house".
So the employee asked for Eur 357 but at the end I'm a good customer and it's Christmas, so nothing.
Then the owner went to (2) shop foremen who accepted to do the mod to scold them for doing this job. Finally it was their guilt

At the end... I brought steering, switch and module. And they accepted to do a never done before job despite they didn't know which result we will have had.

Come on guys from Sweden/Norway/Finland/Canada/Germany, try to call your dealer and ask if they have a retrofit kit for heated steering wheel. If no kit from BMW, seems no way to retrofit it.

I want my mp3 back

I think I will surrender.

Now I have the SMG heated steering wheel on but not working: if someone wants it... If I will finally surrender I will sell it.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Wow... Seems like something simple but it is sooo hard...

Sorry to hear it man

Tonymac
Old 12-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonymac' post='752085' date='Dec 24 2008, 06:18 PM
Wow... Seems like something simple but it is sooo hard...

Sorry to hear it man

Tonymac

Probably we would need to know which cable send electricity to the resistor in the crown of the steering and provide it from another source. (5v, 12v or what is it)

Or I should come back to Dingolfing to do another visit of the factory and ask the favour to the guide to ask someone there which parts are different in heating/no heating. My dealer said also the SZL (that is expensive).

So coilspring+ maybe SZL + steering + module+ I don't know.

I will try by email but I don't think they will help me.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Contributors

PM sent for the steering wheel

Quick Reply: Heated steering retrofit