E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Heated steering retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 02:39 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex, I'm sorry about your troubles with your dealer. I have to say taht they are unskilled about Progmann.

Also, you don't need new SZL, as power is there for everything. You need a heated steering wheel with heating controller in it, a new coil spring that supports the heating function and a switch.

If you have them, heating support coding on SZL, is no more than 5 min. job
The following users liked this post:
C_o_s_m_i_n (12-28-2020)
Old 12-25-2008, 03:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='752563' date='Dec 25 2008, 12:39 PM
Alex, I'm sorry about your troubles with your dealer. I have to say taht they are unskilled about Progmann.

Also, you don't need new SZL, as power is there for everything. You need a heated steering wheel with heating controller in it, a new coil spring that supports the heating function and a switch.

If you have them, heating support coding on SZL, is no more than 5 min. job

Have you experience with this? Did you do it or are you betting it is in this way?

Coding... How? Can you provide detailed infos to bring to that stupid dealer?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='752569' date='Dec 25 2008, 02:17 PM
Have you experience with this? Did you do it or are you betting it is in this way?

Coding... How? Can you provide detailed infos to bring to that stupid dealer?
I've told you in the past that there is no option that can't be retrofitted. Every option available for the E60 is valid for retrofit, you just need 3 things. The device with it's controller, the missing wiring and a modified vehicle order file (VO) with the new option code (FA) into it. That's all. That way the device is valid then for a simple retrofit.

Heated steering retrofit-045__large_.jpg

Heated steering retrofit-044__large_.jpg
Old 12-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

Ok Nick, but what should I do now? I brought there parts and said install everything. And they cannot because are clearly gay.
I don't know.. Should I buy a dealer and do it by myself?

A candle to the E60 saint?

Can you ask your dealer the complete procedure on their computer?
Can I have a mail address of your technician?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Just so i know... How much did all of the parts cost?

Tonymac
Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonymac' post='752634' date='Dec 25 2008, 06:10 PM
Just so i know... How much did all of the parts cost?

Tonymac

I paid the steering eur 140 from eBay (but I will resell mine), switch EUR50 from dealer. And coil spring something like EUR 130. Module was free for me but costs EUR 130 in Germany.
Plus a 5 minutes job.
From factory was an EUR 2-250 option.

If Nick can provide complete informations I can go to the dealer where I go to ski and try to do it there. I would have to pay something but doesn't matter.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Edit: so is FA code necessary Nick? If not, I can go to every dealer with the # -499 coil spring and do it in a few minutes. If necessary, dealers pay FA code and takes some days to arrive from BMW so I should wait for my dealer.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='752667' date='Dec 25 2008, 08:35 PM
Edit: so is FA code necessary Nick? If not, I can go to every dealer with the # -499 coil spring and do it in a few minutes. If necessary, dealers pay FA code and takes some days to arrive from BMW so I should wait for my dealer.
FA code is nothing. It's just a single line with the new option code added into the official VO file, that contains your car's original and retrofitted options, checksumed with you cars VIN# and some other factory codes.

Did you get your new VO file (with the new heated steering FA code included) with you? Did you pay for it? If paid, ask your dealer to burn it on a CD and then send it to me by email, so my very friendly unauthorized BMW diagnostics mechanic (which BTW can give some lessons to every authorized BMW dealer) could check what's wrong with it and possible steps to solve your problem.

One more thing, in order to describe how easy was my heated steering installation, is that we retrofitted/coded it, without to have the heating switch and steering wheel heater (2pin white connector) connected during programming. We got some SZL faults on Progmann conclusion result, because of the lack of the heating circuit, but we were able to clear them all with GT1 after everything was connected back in place. After clearing those faults, everything was working absolutely perfect. That was a trick from my tech guy, to fool SSS, because I don't have column with electric adjustment with memory, but I do have comfort seats with memory, also folding mirrors with memory, so this is a package directly paired into SZL programming

Do you have steering column with electric adjustment? That is something that has to be considered as well during SZL coding preperation.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='752695' date='Dec 25 2008, 09:19 PM
FA code is nothing. It's just a single line with the new option code added into the official VO file, that contains your car's original and retrofitted options, checksumed with you cars VIN# and some other factory codes.

Did you get your new VO file (with the new heated steering FA code included) with you? Did you pay for it? If paid, ask your dealer to burn it on a CD and then send it to me by email, so my very frindly mechanic could check what's wrong with it and possible steps to solve your problem.

One more thing, in order to describe how easy was my heated steering installation, is that we retrofitted/coded it, without to have the heating switch and steering wheel heater (2pin white connector) connected during programming. We got some SZL faults on Programm conclusion result, because of the lack of the heating circuit, but we were able to clear them all with GT1 after everything was connected back in place. After clearing those faults, everything was working absolutely perfect.

The only difference, is that I don't have (yet :-) electrical adjustment with memory on steering column. Do you have it? That is something that has to be considered as well during SZL coding preperation.

Yes, my steering has memory, so I got the switch with two functions.
Ok, so I need my VO file + FA code and send them to you. Okay, I hope I will.
I didn't pay because they didn't succeed in doing anything.

Solve my problem... Problem is those men, that decided to reprogram the car completely instead of encoding the steering only.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='752700' date='Dec 25 2008, 10:31 PM
Yes, my steering has memory, so I got the switch with two functions.
Ok, so I need my VO file + FA code and send them to you. Okay, I hope I will.
I didn't pay because they didn't succeed in doing anything.

Solve my problem... Problem is those men, that decided to reprogram the car completely instead of encoding the steering only.

You must know that in order to retrofit everything, at very 1st step, SSS is updating the car to the latest available CIP version ...so this is not something that they could choose not to do it...

Quick Reply: Heated steering retrofit