E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

facelift E60 LED lights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

i can confirm - NOT plug & play ! Different socket !

Just recieved my set from the GB - safe and sound, good packaging and delivery. They definately look sweet.

was just reading the thread in the Group buy on the compatibilty - honestly not so surprised - BMW Germany told me there will be a retro kit avbl in July/August as I mentioned in previous posts. The group buy however was good value for money + would be nice to drive already LCI LEDs !
But..was not to be.

Just one hopefully rational question to xxterx : HOW ON EARTH WERE THESE LIGHTS CONNECTED ?- care to expalin post #4 again !?
plug & play : think not buddy !
Could you provide some fotos of this "plug and play connection" please ?

anyway here's some pics..

delivery :

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_leds_050.jpg

packaging :

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_leds_051.jpg

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_leds_052.jpg
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_leds_053.jpg
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_leds_054.jpg
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_leds_055.jpg
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_leds_056.jpg
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_leds_057.jpg
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_leds_058.jpg
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_leds_059.jpg
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_leds_060.jpg
Old 05-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

here is the adapter socket part no. for the E46 led retrofit kit HERE
maybe it fits...

on ebay you can see the cables included in the retrofit kit HERE

Old 05-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

What luck I didn't buy just yet.

But to try and help at least 10 people !! It could well be only a difference in connector housing. From the photos its looks as though the pins will actually fit into the new taillamp socket. All thats needed is a pin out mapping between the old and new wiring harness. It would also help if someone with a LCI car could open the back and read the part number printed on the actual plug that connects to the taillamp. A wire colour code mapping to the pin numbers would also help.

If there is no other module or parts required then this should be easy enough to fix. All we need is someone to 'test' the new taillights to see which pins light up which bulbs, or ofcourse anyone with the latest WDS should be able read these out without having to guess it.

I can provide the pin numbers on the 6 pins single line plug for the my Jan 2006 UK car. The problem is as seen in the photos, the new plug has got 7 pins!! Just hope one of them is not used. Nick I think we need to open these lights up if we have to make them work.

Pre-LCI (2006-01)
Pin 1 : Ground (BR)
Pin 2 : Fog Light (GE/SW)
Pin 3 : Reverse Light (WS/GE)
Pin 4 : Brake Light (GR/GN)
Pin 5 : Turn Light (BL/BR/GE)
Pin 6 : Tail Light (SW/RT)
Old 05-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Contributors

wire colors abbreviation:

SW-Black
BR-Brown
RT-Red
GE-Yellow
GN-Green
BL-Blue
VI-Violet
GR-Gray
WS-White
OR-Orange
Old 05-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='420398' date='May 3 2007, 12:18 AM
What luck I didn't buy just yet.

But to try and help at least 10 people !! It could well be only a difference in connector housing. From the photos its looks as though the pins will actually fit into the new taillamp socket. All thats needed is a pin out mapping between the old and new wiring harness. It would also help if someone with a LCI car could open the back and read the part number printed on the actual plug that connects to the taillamp. A wire colour code mapping to the pin numbers would also help.

If there is no other module or parts required then this should be easy enough to fix. All we need is someone to 'test' the new taillights to see which pins light up which bulbs, or ofcourse anyone with the latest WDS should be able read these out without having to guess it.

I can provide the pin numbers on the 6 pins single line plug for the my Jan 2006 UK car. The problem is as seen in the photos, the new plug has got 7 pins!! Just hope one of them is not used. Nick I think we need to open these lights up if we have to make them work.

Pre-LCI (2006-01)
Pin 1 : Ground (BR)
Pin 2 : Fog Light (GE/SW)
Pin 3 : Reverse Light (WS/GE)
Pin 4 : Brake Light (GR/GN)
Pin 5 : Turn Light (BL/BR/GE)
Pin 6 : Tail Light (SW/RT)

I think that the one additional wire, leads to the 4 red (side marking) LEDs along with the LED taillight (5 horizontal lines) , but I don't know which one of these 2 contacts is used. The other contact is the LED turn light. Ground is commonly used on the unit for sure.

Maybe I can confirm this, when I will receive my set

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lights.jpg
Old 05-03-2007, 01:47 AM
Members

My Ride: '01 E46 M3, stock w/ angel eyes :)

Just checked E46 retrofit adapter, it will not fit. Socket is way smaller. Will not fit.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:06 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

If its just the matter of powering these things up then I think the solution is possible with a little bit of rewiring. The pin contacts also seem to be the same from the pictures all we need is the part number for the housing that goes into the lights.

This is where is will become difficult because even if an LCI owner reads the part number printed on that housing that will be the Tyco/Amp part number which BMW do not use.

However if the Light Control Module and other parts need changing the solution is going to be difficult. Fred and Nick should be able to confirm the seriousness of this problem very soon.

See my take of what the connections could be.
facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_leds_056.jpg

It seem like we may have to short a couple of pins with Red bulbs. Forgive my titles for the Red bulbs because I couldn't tell which is the Fog/Tail/Brake lights.

Sorry if the pins are not numbered as below on the actual socket.

8 7 6
- - -
- - - -
4 3 2 1

8 Ground
7 Background Red Light behind the Light bars
6 Side Red Light behind the Light bars

4 Could be either Light bars or Turn LEDs
3 Could be either Light bars or Turn LEDs
2 Red bulbs in the circle
1 Reverse Light

Note : There seems to be a 5 number missing.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Contributors

Andy must confirm whether this contact is bridged somewhere in the backgroung or not

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-tail_.jpg
Old 05-03-2007, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I'd just like xxterxx to comment on how he got his to fit.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi-Titanium Silver-Black Dakota-Premium Pkg-Cold Weather Pkg-Navigation-Sirius Modifications Comming Soon

Quick Reply: facelift E60 LED lights installed!