E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

facelift E60 LED lights installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 05:25 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Can the front Adaptive Xenon headlights be retrofitted? I thought the LCI had some new cornering lights etc that required a little more 'intelligence'.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Group Buy List ( 404.91 US$/set + freight - Minimum 10 sets)
Old 04-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoke to me dealer yesterday asking about retrofitting the LCI rear lights to my E60. They said no kit was available yet but will ask BMW (G and get back to me. Maybe a few months time. They could order me the part and fit them but no guarantee that it would work, as it might cause problems with the sensors saying the bulbs are not working etc.

Guess I'll wait a while longer until other members here have changed them.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by BMW530' post='415941' date='Apr 20 2007, 09:35 AM
Spoke to me dealer yesterday asking about retrofitting the LCI rear lights to my E60. They said no kit was available yet but will ask BMW (G and get back to me. Maybe a few months time. They could order me the part and fit them but no guarantee that it would work, as it might cause problems with the sensors saying the bulbs are not working etc.

Guess I'll wait a while longer until other members here have changed them.

Yeah, a BMW dealer in Germany advised me that a retrofit kit will apparently become available in July/Aug 2007.
Nevertheless, I've gone ahead and ordered a pair, since it seems to work on our member here only with a slight initial blink (whatever that means ?) - I'll take the risk and see (as will another 30 odd members who have done a GB!)
Old 04-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 2005 X3 3.0

looks fantastic Terry!

I just cannot wait to offer these babies when they are available in the States around August..
Expected sale is around 200+ cars first 6 month or so !
Old 04-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='413899' date='Apr 15 2007, 09:49 AM
I hope BMW didn't take that route again for the US models. That would really p... me off . I hate how they have made the US E90 3 series and the US E70 X5's rear turn indicators red. The non-US models' lenses look almost red when turned off, but yellow when turned on, but the US ones are red both when off and when on. After seeing the US E92 coupe's taillights with the clear lens and yellow bulb I was thankfull that they decided to go back to the normal yellow turn indicators for the US models again, but if what you say is true and they have used red led's behind the clear lens for the US E60 LCI it is very disappointing.

If the US LCI taillights have red LED's for the turn indicators then I would be getting the Euro versions with the yellow/amber LED's. I would imagine that most US members here would not want the red ones and would opt for the non-US taillights. As a matter of fact I would rather keep my old taillights than get LCI's that have red turn indicators.

Can anyone else who has access to a US LCI at their dealership check to see whether it has red or yellow turn indicators? I don't think the California dealers have the LCI's yet, but I will check this week. I'm hoping that the car that was at the NY Auto Show was a pre-production car and that the actual production models that are released would not have the red turn indicators. Although if they went through the trouble of making those taillights with the red turn indicators and put them on the show car they will probably use them for the normal production cars too
Although I am not a 5 Series owner (only a lowly e46 owner - plan to upgrade to the 5 Series in a few years), I still think this is appalling for BMW to specifically change the turn signals to red, when its perfectly legal to use amber and they already have parts for them. If anyone has proof that they light up red (i.e. photos), I would like to see them.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

I know its a dumb question, but, what part of the "taillight" is actualy LED? and what is bulb?

I cant seem to find it, can anyone give me insight?

any pics to show to us which is LED and which part is a bulb?

Thanks in advance to anyone that informs me!

MK
Old 04-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy545' post='415957' date='Apr 20 2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah, a BMW dealer in Germany advised me that a retrofit kit will apparently become available in July/Aug 2007.
Nevertheless, I've gone ahead and ordered a pair, since it seems to work on our member here only with a slight initial blink (whatever that means ?) - I'll take the risk and see (as will another 30 odd members who have done a GB!)
No worries Andy.

I was told by chief mechanic at dealer's on Friday, that BMW will support the initial blinking issue by software, like they did with the E46 LED taillights retrofitting.
That way, Progman will check what kind of tails has every car on it and will pogramm, as the case may be.
There is not any check control module on the E46 LED taillights retrofit kit, like was on the E39.

Who knows, maybe he is right
Old 04-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='416434' date='Apr 22 2007, 05:49 AM
I know its a dumb question, but, what part of the "taillight" is actualy LED? and what is bulb?

I cant seem to find it, can anyone give me insight?

any pics to show to us which is LED and which part is a bulb?
Thanks in advance to anyone that informs me!
MK

LEDs

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-tails.jpg

Bulbs

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-bulbs.jpg

details

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_4.jpg

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-tail.jpg

facelift E60 LED lights installed!-lci_3.jpg
Old 04-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='416592' date='Apr 22 2007, 08:09 PM
No worries Andy.

I was told by chief mechanic at dealer's on Friday, that BMW will support the initial blinking issue by software, like they did with the E46 LED taillights retrofitting.
That way, Progman will check what kind of tails has every car on it and will pogramm, as the case may be.
There is not any check control module on the E46 LED taillights retrofit kit, like was on the E39.

Who knows, maybe he is right
Sounds logical Nick.
If xxterx has confirmed only an initial blink, but otherwise working, the E60's route will be similar to the E46 retrofit ie. simple hardware install with eventual software update. Anyway, I can live with a blink

Looking foward to it !

Quick Reply: facelift E60 LED lights installed!