E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan or RPI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by RPIpower
Something to know about changing the throttle bodies. The reason for this mod is to allow more air into the engine. Will this increase power? If your engine holds 4L of air at 100% VE, but is only able to suck in 3.5L of air, will increasing the throttle body diameter cause it to suck in 3.6L of air? Think about it for a second.............

Wihtout increasing intake velocity, your larger throttle body is worthless and in some cases will net you a loss of power.
So does that mean a bigger throttle body needs to be paired with a better intake system? Or vice versa since if you have a better intake but the same stock throttle body, does the increased airflow get restricted once it gets to the TB?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
So does that mean a bigger throttle body needs to be paired with a better intake system? Or vice versa since if you have a better intake but the same stock throttle body, does the increased airflow get restricted once it gets to the TB?
Does it matter how wide you open the door if its not windy outside? A particular size intake might not work well with a certain size TB, etc.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Contributors

Does it matter how wide you open the door if its not windy outside? A particular size intake might not work well with a certain size TB, etc.
If someone farted inside the car then yes, it does matter how wide you open the door.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

If someone farted inside the car then yes, it does matter how wide you open the door.
In that case the density of it will effect the performance of your breathing.

Hopefully Socale will come and we can test the proven quad system. If he brings his stock exhaust, I am willing to dyno the car for free. We will document EVERYTHING with video. How we are dynoing, why, remove quad system, install stock, dyno, etc. This will stop all the speculation.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Contributors

Hopefully Socale will come and we can test the proven quad system. If he brings his stock exhaust, I am willing to dyno the car for free. We will document EVERYTHING with video. How we are dynoing, why, remove quad system, install stock, dyno, etc. This will stop all the speculation.
Can someone also bring over a Dinan exhaust to get tested?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

LOL
Old 02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

great offer, too bad no one ever has the balls to do it.

In that case the density of it will effect the performance of your breathing.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

Most people get better gains than what our test numbers show because nobody will torture test YOUR car the way we do.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63...k-exhaust.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/off...i-exhaust.html

Feel free to come down anytime and I will be more than happy to show you how we do R&D and why. Then you can give your professional opinion as to how we do our testing.
Please understand I'm not doubting your systems gain HP at all nor have I questioned any of your testing techniques. I think we all know that there are a lot of variables when it comes to testing (ie: dyno machine, temp, car, wheels, etc) that is why I think it would be great to actually get one car on a particular machine and test multiple exhaust setups. As for the dyno testing I think thats a great idea however my exhaust system is comepletely welded much like the stock one is so that would require cutting it to remove it, then rewelding it back on.

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, what setup did you test for a quad setup? Dual mufflers? Single muffler w/ dual resonators?

One last thing, there is no spectulation about the quad setup making power. West was able to prove that his setup gained hp on his 550i with before and after dyno testing. Now I will agree that for all other models aside from the 550i, it is speculation and I think it's easy to say you aren't going to get the same results on a 530i, hell maybe not even on a 545i.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by socale39
Please understand I'm not doubting your systems gain HP at all nor have I questioned any of your testing techniques. I think we all know that there are a lot of variables when it comes to testing (ie: dyno machine, temp, car, wheels, etc) that is why I think it would be great to actually get one car on a particular machine and test multiple exhaust setups. As for the dyno testing I think thats a great idea however my exhaust system is comepletely welded much like the stock one is so that would require cutting it to remove it, then rewelding it back on.

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, what setup did you test for a quad setup? Dual mufflers? Single muffler w/ dual resonators?

One last thing, there is no spectulation about the quad setup making power. West was able to prove that his setup gained hp on his 550i with before and after dyno testing. Now I will agree that for all other models aside from the 550i, it is speculation and I think it's easy to say you aren't going to get the same results on a 530i, hell maybe not even on a 545i.
Understand he's trying to sell something. Check it out. Way back when you did your exhaust, I dropped this RPIpower guy a PM. It was as follows, and perhaps I should have cc'd you in the PM and I didn't so I'm sorry about that, but I believe I gave you a heads up that I was going to PM him and got your permission. Anyways, here was the PM:
Subject: "getting some feedback on dual exhaust te"

Date/Time: Sent 08 December 2010 - 10:19 AM

"Hello. I was hoping you might be interested in testing out socale39's exhaust system. Preferably testing your axle-back side by side with his dual exhaust on the same car after doing a baseline with his factory exhaust patched back in on the same car. That would be pretty sweet. Would be cool if you could comment back him in person or on the 'the truth about quad exhausts' thread. Have a great day man. Cheers."
Anyways, I never got a reply but it would still be great if he was still interested in doing the test on your car if you're ok with it. Like I said before, I'll even kick down a $100 bucks (little change, but I'm sure others on the forum would pitch in, too) to help subsidise the matter. That would be really cool- a real battle of the exhausts, lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by west
Understand he's trying to sell something. Check it out. Way back when you did your exhaust, I dropped this RPIpower guy a PM. It was as follows, and perhaps I should have cc'd you in the PM and I didn't so I'm sorry about that, but I believe I gave you a heads up that I was going to PM him and got your permission. Anyways, here was the PM:
Subject: "getting some feedback on dual exhaust te"

Date/Time: Sent 08 December 2010 - 10:19 AM

"Hello. I was hoping you might be interested in testing out socale39's exhaust system. Preferably testing your axle-back side by side with his dual exhaust on the same car after doing a baseline with his factory exhaust patched back in on the same car. That would be pretty sweet. Would be cool if you could comment back him in person or on the 'the truth about quad exhausts' thread. Have a great day man. Cheers."
Anyways, I never got a reply but it would still be great if he was still interested in doing the test on your car if you're ok with it. Like I said before, I'll even kick down a $100 bucks (little change, but I'm sure others on the forum would pitch in, too) to help subsidise the matter. That would be really cool- a real battle of the exhausts, lol.
Can't comment on how come Eloy didn't get back to your PM but did you see his offer on post # 44 to do the dynos for free to test Socale39's quad system?

Quick Reply: Dinan or RPI?