E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan or RPI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

Originally Posted by Nolan222
There might be an install issue in your case, as there are numerous documented Dyno runs proving gains with RPI.
What are you basing 0% power gains?

Originally Posted by Shadow V8
that's why am so mad about it .. where is the 13 HP they were talking about..!?

i think it's only for marketing their product as im sure i've installed it correctly as per their DIY in RPI forums..
Maybe I can shed some light here or at least my personal opinion...
While the RPI option is a forum favorite and many compare it other systems including custom quad setups, if you actually look at all the dyno results that have been posted, 99% of them are from RPI themselves. Now I'm not stating that the dyno results are in any way lying, but when I look for a product that will perform, I don't just take the manufacturers word for it. In fact most of this forum believed quad setups would always lose hp based off a manufacturers theory, which was later revealed as false (look up "Truth Behind Quad Setups" thread) as there were proven results of a 10hp gain. So I guess what I'm try to say is that its hard to compare Dinan vs RPI without having unbiased dyno results from either company. What this forum really needs is an exhaust system shootout where we have all the popular exhaust systems dyno'd to show the true numbers of each. Additionally it would be extremely hard to question the variables if all were done on the same machine, the same day and with the same car.

One last note I'd like to add is that while everyone tries to compare what exhaust system is the best performing, most won't even really notice the difference in performance, if indeed there is a gain. Of course when you start to gain 10+ hp, then it will be considerably more noticeable compared to say 3-5hp where the gains are so minimal the "butt dyno" can't notice the difference. The way I see it, our cars are large heavy family sedans and I think its safe to say that 99% of the members here haven't pushed their cars to their true limit, which is where performance is going to play a large factor. With that being said, is 5-10hp really that important or is it the exhaust note you are really going after?

As for installing an RPI exhaust wrong, well thats quite a stretch as its like hooking up a hose. As long as there are no exhaust leaks, there's no other way to install it to make it perform better.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 545i 04 Mods: Matte White / Black car color Matte Kidney Grills Angel Eyes White Fog Lights White lights license plate M5 Body kit RPI GT Exhaust

^
Totally agree with you,

i've test my car with another stock 545i .. there's no different at all..! walking side by side

if there's any leaking or issue it would be power loss which make him win

i believe RPI exhausts performance can be noticed only for M5 cars...
Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i (E60) - Titanium Silver | Black Dakota w/ Bamboo Anthracite | Sports Package | Premium Package | Steptronic | Navigation | Logic 7 Former: 1995 540i MSport (E34) - 6sp, B&M Short Shift | Dinan Intake | Dinan Exhaust | Dinan Chip 1987 325iC (E30) - sold

Originally Posted by ciphin
I drive a 2008 BMW 550 - Dinan Stage 1. Over the last three weeks I had the following mods done to my car:
  1. Dinan Free Flow Exhaust
  2. Dinan High Flow Intake
  3. Dinan Stage 3 Software
  4. Dinan Shock Braces
  5. Dinan Strut Braces
  6. Dinan Throttle Body
  7. Dinan Stage 1 Suspension
Each piece, in conjunction with software, changes the cars performance ever so slightly. Any one piece on its own doesn't provide dramatic increases in performance. When I completed the Free Flow Exhaust, High Flow Intake, Throttle Body and Stage 3 Software -- *completely* different car. I have the Sport Auto transmission -- Dinan provides even greater gains over that. Immediate throttle response (no more lag), improved throttle response at all intervals, significant increase in overall HP and an exhaust that sounds like what a V8 should sound like. Dinan also maintains your warranty if that's a concern.

The suspension modifications were secondary. Adding in front and rear braces and changing out the entire suspension system. Coming from the regular Sport Suspension to Dinan Stage 1 suspension, the difference is remarkable. You have the same travel (up and down) as the Sport Suspension, but your 1/2 an inch lower / more aggressive. The car no longer bounces when going over bumps in the road -- it sticks. And lastly, the car has almost zero roll in the corners. The car remains almost flat when going around a corner at 80 mph.

Every time I drive this car I can't help but smile. If you own a 550, these upgrade in my opinion are mandatory.

Todd
Todd, I'm interested in doing the same mods but am curious if you upgraded the wheels/tires or kept the 172's on the car? If so, would you mind sharing a picture of what the ride height looks like over the stock wheels?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Contributors

RPI all the way!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

^
Totally agree with you,

i've test my car with another stock 545i .. there's no different at all..! walking side by side

Do you have any other mods? What type of wheels are you running? If your running a 20" wheel and running a stock car with 18" you can throw your hp gain out the window!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by west
Personally, I plan to do the ESS tune in the coming months after obtaining the correct BDM interface. Unfortunately for me, ESS said they would not send me my original (OEM) DME flash contents prior to putting the tuned image on, so they've pretty much forced me to order a BDM interface so I can suck the original flash contents down myself before shipping my DME out to get it re-programmed. Slightly silly logic on their part given that they know I already have the DME contents from a 650i (same platform, iirc), and I wouldn't be gaining acces to any IP that would be of any threat to them that I don't have already, but I want to run their tune so I'm willing to play along. Just sucks for me cause I want that damn tune and those EVC BDM programmers don't pop up on ebay all that often!
Not sure if you know but ESS released a flashloader that you can get to downloand and keep your stock tune and upload their performance tune. You can then have the option to put back the stock tune for dealer visits if you wish.

On the exhaust question, maybe we can just get a few Mexico runs with a car with just the RPI exhaust and one with just the Dinan.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 Orange / Black matt 545i 02 Black 530i

I totally agree with Shadow V8 !!! i waste my money FOR NOTHING !!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo
I believe in order to achieve the max hp gains from the Dinan products, it has to be accompanied by the Dinan software download.

If money is no issue, just pull the trigger on the Dinan Stage 3 software, intake, exhaust, and throttle body.
For their throttle body, yes you need the software so the DME knows the proper calibration.

Dual exhausts will make power on at least the v8 e60. There is a thread around here with details on the matter. You should probably make some effort to do some reading or buck up and hire a professional to take some measurements for you if you want to pretend to be a subject matter expert in the area.
"Dual exhausts will make power on at least the V8 e60" is not a fact. You can make power with a dual exhaust on any care but the design has to be done right. Who here wants to pay for proper r&d? Anyone here on the forums make less than $20/hr? How many muffler shops that are throwing on a quad set up for a few hundred bucks are going to test the design over and over?

trust me ,, don't go with the RPI

i've installed RPI exhaust on my 545i it's only good sound

there's 0% gain power .. im really disappointed ...

good luck
Show me proof, send the exhaust back and I will issue you a refund for the exhaust. What mods do you have on your car?

Originally Posted by socale39
Maybe I can shed some light here or at least my personal opinion...
While the RPI option is a forum favorite and many compare it other systems including custom quad setups, if you actually look at all the dyno results that have been posted, 99% of them are from RPI themselves. Now I'm not stating that the dyno results are in any way lying, but when I look for a product that will perform, I don't just take the manufacturers word for it.
Most people get better gains than what our test numbers show because nobody will torture test YOUR car the way we do.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63...k-exhaust.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/off...i-exhaust.html

Feel free to come down anytime and I will be more than happy to show you how we do R&D and why. Then you can give your professional opinion as to how we do our testing.

^
Totally agree with you,

List your mods please. Saying that the exhaust gives you no power is a false statement especially if you havent had it tested. For all we know you might have an AFE intake or something or maybe 20" wheels.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Something to know about changing the throttle bodies. The reason for this mod is to allow more air into the engine. Will this increase power? If your engine holds 4L of air at 100% VE, but is only able to suck in 3.5L of air, will increasing the throttle body diameter cause it to suck in 3.6L of air? Think about it for a second.............

Wihtout increasing intake velocity, your larger throttle body is worthless and in some cases will net you a loss of power.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

lol i was simply stating what they've said before. i don't know if it makes power or not and do not claim that dual exhausts won't make power.

Dual exhausts will make power on at least the v8 e60. There is a thread around here with details on the matter. You should probably make some effort to do some reading or buck up and hire a professional to take some measurements for you if you want to pretend to be a subject matter expert in the area.

Quick Reply: Dinan or RPI?