E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan ECU remap

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:46 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='401480' date='Mar 11 2007, 12:13 PM
Al, thanks for the info. Only other question I have is, is there a difference in performance between the stage 1 and stage 3 without any additional mods?

From a performance standpoint, no. The gain in performance of Stage III will be the other added items and not the S/W itself. I doubt that a Dinan authorized dealer would even put the Stage III on your car if you had no other bolt-ons.
Best of luck
Old 03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='401474' date='Mar 11 2007, 07:59 AM
Hey Roleez -

This is great news ... that you got your car back and that the 550i package is ready for the rest of us. Thanks for being the test mule.

Since you've added most of what Dinan now offers, where would you say you get the best performance improvement: from the power-side stuff (throttle body, exhaust, software), or from the handling department (wheels, suspension, strut brace)?

In other words, leaving aside costs, where do you feel Dinan enhanced your 550i the most: power or handling?

By the way .... your car looks stunning in that photo. Any pics of the Dinan badge?
Honestly, I truly believe the best enhancement has to be the Stage 1 suspension. ARS is (obviously) retained, but much more enhanced with the Dinan springs and Koni dampers. You can barely detect any body roll at all. Sure it's a little stiffer vs. stock, but the comfort is still there which is really amazing. It's much more civilized vs. the Dinan3 suspension which was really, really stiff and bouncy. The Stage 1 setup firms up when you want to drive sprited and stays relaxed when you're not. I forgot to mention that the steering has become a little heavier which I REALLY like; you feel more connected to the road unlike the stock Sport setup where the steering feels really loose. Add to that a set of Potenza RE050A Pole Position rubber, and you have one super grippy car which is still quiet on even the roughest concrete roads. If you're wondering why I didn't choose the PS2s, it's because I spent 2 months getting to know the handling character of the Dinan3 which had those tires. I loved the grip, but hated the road noise. Plus the Dinan3 begins to hydroplane on a soaked highway if you exceed 60 mph. Quite scary. I was thinking Goodyear F1 tires too, but they were back-ordered for the sizes needed. So I chose the Bridestones since I was impressed with their wet-weather traction, cornering, and quietness/comfort.

On the other hand, you can still feel the difference in power with the mods vs. stock. It's not a huge neck-snapping experience, but overall drivability and throttle response is greatly improved (not to mention that your redline is now 6750 if you have SMG or manual). Now that I know the difference in feel in a Dinan car (the 645Ci SMG) with the 3.45 differential and flywheel, I know for sure that my experience would really be neck-snapping if I ordered those mods as well. Then I'd say for sure that the power mods stand out WAY more. But overall after two days of driving around with the new upgrades, I'm super happy! This is how a 550 should come out of the factory! It's a whole new driving experience, that's for sure!

And a rear-angle shot ...

Dinan ECU remap-dsc01872a.jpg
Old 03-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='401463' date='Mar 11 2007, 07:19 AM
Also I will be taking my car in to the dealer for software program upgrade #25 when it comes out, would that erase the Dinan software?
According to Dinan, yes, any iDrive software update WILL erase the Dinan software. I was told that re-flashes by Dinan HQ (Morgan Hill facility) would be done free of charge. However, there is a possibility that other Dinan dealers may charge a small fee to have the re-flash done elsewhere. So call ahead of time to make sure if there's a fee or not. So word to the wise for those with Dinan software: get a re-flash by Dinan after every iDrive software update!
Old 03-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Members

Awesome pictures, we need more of those.

How many points are required for the dinan 5 badge?

Also what is the price for the wheels, the site is misleading on the prices. The front section says 1299 each which is way expensive and the back section just says 1299. Exclusive of the tires what was your price?

Thanks
JC
Old 03-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

Several months ago, you needed to acquire 10 points for a Dinan badge. Now, you need at least 7 points.

As for the wheels, you did read the site correctly ... EACH rim is $1299.00 (x 4) = $5196.00
Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i w/SMG - JetBlack - Dinan Software - Dinan Exhaust - Anthracite Trim - Anthracite Headliner - Sport Package

Good write up Roleez.
I will be there on wednesday to get the software. I really want to get the diff and flywheel too but I only have 1 hour to burn at Dinan
Old 04-09-2007, 05:23 PM
CWG
Members

My Ride: 08 550i Titanium Silver, Black interior, sport package, steptronic

any update on how the software is working
Old 04-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CWG' post='411897' date='Apr 9 2007, 06:23 PM
any update on how the software is working
After over a month driving the car around, I can truly say that with the software and the Dinan engine mods (throttle body, K&N, and exhaust), my car has taken on a whole new character. She's a beast: power is endless, torque is abundant, and the feeling of being pinned to your seat as the revs climb cannot be described in words. Throttle response is instant with just a slight press of the pedal, even at 6th at cruising speed. Press the pedal 1/4 down from 75 and the car takes off like a rocket and next thing you know, you'll be saying, "How the HECK did I hit 160 so fast?!!" The software is worth it as long as you have other mods to take advantage of the extra air going in and out of the engine. Worth every penny ... if you drive your car hard every so often. But if you baby your car and never feel/see what it's like to rev above 4000 rpm or to take corners and hear tire squeal at the same time, don't waste your $$$.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i w/SMG - JetBlack - Dinan Software - Dinan Exhaust - Anthracite Trim - Anthracite Headliner - Sport Package

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='411998
Worth every penny ... if you drive your car hard every so often. But if you baby your car and never feel/see what it's like to rev above 4000 rpm or to take corners and hear tire squeal at the same time, don't waste your $$$.
Amen Brother!!
The software is worth it!
I have been out of town for over one week driving a big ass Nissan Armada and just drove the 550 this morning.........spilled coffee all over the place!! But man I love this car
Old 04-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JetBlack' post='412060' date='Apr 10 2007, 08:51 AM
Yes, been there said that
Amen Brother!!
The software is worth it!
I have been out of town for over one week driving a big ass Nissan Armada and just drove the 550 this morning.........spilled coffee all over the place!! But man I love this car
Do not reveal confidential information: "...spilled coffee all over the place" Next buyer of your car might see this post J/K

I'm serious about getting Dinan SW reflash after having CIP update!
Thanks for all reviews, guys!

Quick Reply: Dinan ECU remap