E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan ECU remap

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:41 AM
AlB
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='401072' date='Mar 10 2007, 05:52 AM
Got the car back ... finally! Sorry no absolute numbers, but I don't care about that to be honest. Steve Dinan greeted me at the door and told me that the car is now a 375 to 380 hp monster. And he did a test run to make sure the top speed limiter was removed ... at 175 mph!!! HOLY SH*T!!! I'll never do that on a personal note, but to say that Steve Dinan took my car that fast is big-time bragging rights for any car enthusiast! WOW! Anyway, to make a long story short, the car hauls a$$. Throttle response is immediate without having to press the pedal down farther like before to get the same response. I notice 90 degree turns around residential neighborhoods in 3rd gear is much more torquey and responsive compared to before where a turn in 3rd gear needed 3/4 throttle to get the car moving smoothly. Now it's just 3rd gear and 1/4 or less throttle! Same thing on the freeway ... 6th gear at 70 mph: tap the throttle just a tad and the car thrusts forward effortlessly; add 1/4 throttle and the car lurches forward. I'm sure the response has a lot to do with the lightweight wheels in addition to the throttle body, K&N filter, and exhaust. Unsprung weight savings: approx. 47 lbs. The car responds smoothly; no jerkiness whatsoever. And that annoying manual transmission "jerk" when adding throttle (lightly) after coasting with no throttle (whether in town or on the freeway) is GONE!!! Amen to that!

I got to drive Dinan's 645Ci SMG with the 3.45 diff + lightened flywheel for comparison. Literally, NIGHT AND DAY. Now I see why Dinan is urging me to get those mods to really put the power down. Just tap the throttle in any gear and the car responds with so much torque, it's not even funny. Acceleration from a stop is ROCKET fast! I did note that the cruising revs went up: 65 mph in 6th (in my car with stock 2.93 diff) yields an engine speed of about 2200 rpm, but in the 645, engine rpm was about 2450 rpm. Not a huge change considering that both cars have the same gear ratios, but nonetheless, it's definitely something to consider if you want to transform your V8 into a monster.

Attachment 29400
Congrats on the return of your car. It's good that you are happy with the end product. Nothing like enthusiasm to make the driving experience better. I don't disagree with Steve Dinan on the virtues of the 3.45 dif and the lightweight flywheel, but it's another $5K. Remember, Steve is both an enthusiast and a salesman. I would also suggest another modification that would make the 550i 6 speed better to drive. I would install a SSK. In my opinion, UUC makes about the best out there. As soon as they develop the DSSR for the 550i, I am going to pick up one of their Evo III shifters with the DSSR. I'm told that the DSSR is about a month away. That will be my first mod, after all weather floor mats

Did the software help maintain RPM's between upshifts or do they still drop off?

Best of luck

Al
Old 03-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the car, Roleez! Glad to love it!

As long as you feel the improvement, it worths the wait.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Any idea when Dinan will release the software upgrade for sale? Also, any update on the timing for the CAI?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:05 PM
CWG
Members

My Ride: 08 550i Titanium Silver, Black interior, sport package, steptronic

Did he give you any idea as to the hp contribuion of each of the various mods or just a blanket 15 to 20 hp increase over stock for the package?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by AlB' post='401104
Any idea when Dinan will release the software upgrade for sale? Also, any update on the timing for the CAI?
Software has already been sent to participating dealers for release by next week according to Steve Dinan. As for the CAI ... about a couple months away.

Originally Posted by CWG' post='401259' date='Mar 10 2007, 03:05 PM
Did he give you any idea as to the hp contribuion of each of the various mods or just a blanket 15 to 20 hp increase over stock for the package?
Steve did give me a blanket estimate of 15-20hp added to the stock 360hp with the current engine mods (TB, software, K&N filter, and exhaust).
Old 03-11-2007, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='401361' date='Mar 11 2007, 12:49 AM
RPMs still drop like they normally do. I didn't notice any changes between shifts.
Software has already been sent to participating dealers for release by next week according to Steve Dinan. As for the CAI ... about a couple months away.
Steve did give me a blanket estimate of 15-20hp added to the stock 360hp with the current engine mods (TB, software, K&N filter, and exhaust).
I see that the software upgrades are now on Dinan's website for the 550. I'll be calling the dealer this week...

BTW, notice that there are two software upgrades. I'm going with Stage 3. Any clue what the other (cheaper $) upgrade is/does? Lastly, looks like the Stage 3 offered for the 550 is pre-tuned for the coming CAI (the price of $699 for the 550 is equivalent to the Stage 3 for the 545, which has been tuned for the CAI). Thoughts???
Old 03-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by pa550' post='401422' date='Mar 11 2007, 08:20 AM
I see that the software upgrades are now on Dinan's website for the 550. I'll be calling the dealer this week...

BTW, notice that there are two software upgrades. I'm going with Stage 3. Any clue what the other (cheaper $) upgrade is/does? Lastly, looks like the Stage 3 offered for the 550 is pre-tuned for the coming CAI (the price of $699 for the 550 is equivalent to the Stage 3 for the 545, which has been tuned for the CAI). Thoughts???

Im a bit confused between satge 1 and stage 2, whats the difference between the two? I am leasing my car so I wouldnt do anything more other than software upgrade from Dinan. So should I do Stage 1? Is there a performance difference between the two? Also I will be taking my car in to the dealer for software program upgrade #25 when it comes out, would that erase the Dinan software?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Hey Roleez -

This is great news ... that you got your car back and that the 550i package is ready for the rest of us. Thanks for being the test mule.

Since you've added most of what Dinan now offers, where would you say you get the best performance improvement: from the power-side stuff (throttle body, exhaust, software), or from the handling department (wheels, suspension, strut brace)?

In other words, leaving aside costs, where do you feel Dinan enhanced your 550i the most: power or handling?

By the way .... your car looks stunning in that photo. Any pics of the Dinan badge?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:05 AM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='401463' date='Mar 11 2007, 10:19 AM
Im a bit confused between satge 1 and stage 2, whats the difference between the two? I am leasing my car so I wouldnt do anything more other than software upgrade from Dinan. So should I do Stage 1? Is there a performance difference between the two? Also I will be taking my car in to the dealer for software program upgrade #25 when it comes out, would that erase the Dinan software?

If all, you do is add software, you need nothing more than Stage 1. If you add the throttle body and up coming CAI, you would need to upgrade S/W to accomodate the additional air flow.

A comment on a leased car with mods. The CAI and throttle body upgrades are easily reversable if you want to mod your leased car, even the exhaust. As for resale value, a car sold with mods usually brings in about 30% of the mod cost. A car stripped and returned to stock will net you approximately 50% of the mod cost. S/W is the exception, if removed, it cannot be re-sold.

hope this helps

al
Old 03-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by AlB' post='401476' date='Mar 11 2007, 12:05 PM
If all, you do is add software, you need nothing more than Stage 1. If you add the throttle body and up coming CAI, you would need to upgrade S/W to accomodate the additional air flow.

A comment on a leased car with mods. The CAI and throttle body upgrades are easily reversable if you want to mod your leased car, even the exhaust. As for resale value, a car sold with mods usually brings in about 30% of the mod cost. A car stripped and returned to stock will net you approximately 50% of the mod cost. S/W is the exception, if removed, it cannot be re-sold.

hope this helps

al
Al, thanks for the info. Only other question I have is, is there a difference in performance between the stage 1 and stage 3 without any additional mods?

Quick Reply: Dinan ECU remap