E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dinan ECU remap

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

For those anxiously waiting, Dinan will be releasing the 550i/650i ECU software upgrades to the public in the next couple weeks. My car's been Dinan's guinea pig for the past month and a half (geez, talk about torture) for software development. Dinan still needs my car for a couple more days to work out data transmission bugs before they start uploading the final software product to Dinan dealers. So in the few weeks, those waiting for the ECU upgrade for their 4.8L V8 will go home happy real soon! And I'll finally get my car back mid-week to have fun with my right foot.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:45 AM
Contributors

This is good news indeed.

Do you have any insights on the features of the remap? Does this apply to all transmissions? Increased power and torque? Removed speed limiter? Faster shifts? Improved mileage? World peace?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Cant Wait!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i w/SMG - JetBlack - Dinan Software - Dinan Exhaust - Anthracite Trim - Anthracite Headliner - Sport Package

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='395753' date='Feb 26 2007, 04:45 AM
This is good news indeed.

Do you have any insights on the features of the remap? World peace?
Well for the World Peace upgrade you will have to buy stage 27!!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Senior Members

The 550i/650i remap (from what I've been told so far) is pretty much the same as the 545i/645Ci remap:

* speed limiter removed
* more immediate throttle response (similar to what those with SprintBoosters installed feel)
* redline = 6750 rpm (MANUAL & SMG); 6600 rpm (AUTO)
* about an 8 hp increase with K&N drop-in filter

When I pick up my car this week, I'll double-check the hp increase. I'm thinking that since the V8 displacement is 0.4L larger, hp should be a bit higher. I'm curious to see if the characteristic fuel-injector cutoff/activation "jerk" that those with 6-speed manuals experience upon throttle lift-off (mpg needle goes all the way to the left) and gradual reapplication (at cruising speed) goes away.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='396158' date='Feb 26 2007, 10:58 PM
The 550i/650i remap (from what I've been told so far) is pretty much the same as the 545i/645Ci remap:

* speed limiter removed
* more immediate throttle response (similar to what those with SprintBoosters installed feel)
* redline = 6750 rpm (MANUAL & SMG); 6600 rpm (AUTO)
* about an 8 hp increase with K&N drop-in filter

When I pick up my car this week, I'll double-check the hp increase. I'm thinking that since the V8 displacement is 0.4L larger, hp should be a bit higher. I'm curious to see if the characteristic fuel-injector cutoff/activation "jerk" that those with 6-speed manuals experience upon throttle lift-off (mpg needle goes all the way to the left) and gradual reapplication (at cruising speed) goes away.
I just saw/heard your car today! Phillip turned it on for me.

Mine's going to be a test pig for the next month and a half now, or when engineering's ready for it!

Hurry back with that loaner....I need to drop mine off at the doctor!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

What will they be testing on your car?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='397015' date='Feb 28 2007, 09:54 PM
What will they be testing on your car?
Well, I shouldn't speak so soon....but I spoke with Phillip Briseno today for about an hour about dropping my wagon off and having them look at designing suspension/wheels for the 530xi.

We can't use the same wheels (they need to be the same all around) and the rear has a self-leveling suspension system. Plus they've never tested any wagon.

And, according to the guys at Dinan, they don't do anything without testing first!

He tried to talk me into being the XI exhaust guinea pig, but I dunno--suspension and wheels will cost enough as it is! We'll see. I could be talked into something more...

But I will tell you this--If anything's done on my car, it'll be done there.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jed Peter' post='397012' date='Feb 28 2007, 09:39 PM
I just saw/heard your car today! Phillip turned it on for me.

Mine's going to be a test pig for the next month and a half now, or when engineering's ready for it!

Hurry back with that loaner....I need to drop mine off at the doctor!
So you've been hit with the Dinan bug too, eh? AWESOME! This is the first I've heard Dinan wanting to do research on a wagon. Take them up on the offers they give you! You may be without your car for a while (like me), but it's damn well worth the wait!

I'll finally be able to take my car home at the end of the week. My car's pretty much done except for the lightweight 19" Dinan rims which will arrive in about 2 more weeks. So it look like I have 14 days or so to shred the rubber off the Pirelli PZero Nero tires on the stock 18s, haha!! It'll be hard to give up the Dinan3 loaner car; I got soooo used to driving it for almost the past 2 months. If Phillip loans you the Dinan3, I'm pretty sure you'll love it just as much as I have. Check out this link if you haven't seen it yet: Dinan3 330i
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='397023' date='Feb 28 2007, 10:40 PM
So you've been hit with the Dinan bug too, eh? AWESOME! This is the first I've heard Dinan wanting to do research on a wagon. Take them up on the offers they give you! You may be without your car for a while (like me), but it's damn well worth the wait!

I'll finally be able to take my car home at the end of the week. My car's pretty much done except for the lightweight 19" Dinan rims which will arrive in about 2 more weeks. So it look like I have 14 days or so to shred the rubber off the Pirelli PZero Nero tires on the stock 18s, haha!! It'll be hard to give up the Dinan3 loaner car; I got soooo used to driving it for almost the past 2 months. If Phillip loans you the Dinan3, I'm pretty sure you'll love it just as much as I have. Check out this link if you haven't seen it yet: Dinan3 330i
That's what I'm scared of! 2 months!

I know that it won't be as short as I'd hoped.

I said today, "so it'll be 2 weeks, right?"

To which Phillip replied, "2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks..." (I'm paraphrasing, of course!)

But I'd like to see what they can do. I know of a bunch of wagon owners and XI owners out there who'd love the opportunity to purchase aftermarket stuff for the car from a company such as Dinan that is tried, trued, and tested. In other words, I know they'd do it right the first time, and stand behind their work!

We'll see though. Let's hope!

Quick Reply: Dinan ECU remap