E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension GW500+BTA1500+IVE1000

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:12 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by bmw_wpq31' post='569440' date='Apr 28 2008, 01:02 AM
Thanks GW500. At least now we've got answers on how it really works...Sorry guys, the dension bta1500 solution in making it exactly like oem still has to be updated via Progman first! but, how do we update bt phone in the CCC without a TCU? i think this is going to be very difficult to do...

But at least, bta1000 will still work for cars without bt phone...
This is near impossible and is something that makes a lot of the products out there useless e.g. the MOST interface for Video etc. Ask anyone who doesnt have a CD Changer but wanted to use the Dension, BMW has refused to code the car with the CD Changer option without the original CD Changer installed. This same issue will hit Dension when they release the AVR that will simulate the TV Tuner and the Bluetooth that simulates the TCU.

The issue that BMW have explained is that in the programming sequence the software interrogates the module and if not found it will not install the option. So unless the Dension that behave EXACTLY like the OEM module you will have little choice but to fnd the OEM module, install it in the car and then get the Dension installed!!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

yesterday I have also installed the GW500, however I didn't succeed..... the unit did not work!

I have BMW 535D build 9/2005. I have DVD, CD and CDC. With DVD and CD I can read mp3, however the CDC cannot read mp3. I have HW version 2 Gateway 500, and with 4 dipswitches. The first two are UP, and the other two are DOWN. Today I have upgraded to firmware 2.11, and this works fine. Altough the Gateway 500 cannot read my USB stick, and I do not get any extra options in the HU screen.

The most bus is connected from the HU to the CDC, to the Gateway 500 and back to HU. Strange that for other BMW this is reversed.

Could anybody help me solving this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Jan-Peter
Old 04-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2005 E60 525i M Sports

Originally Posted by Jan-Peter' post='570059' date='Apr 29 2008, 01:34 AM
Hi,

yesterday I have also installed the GW500, however I didn't succeed..... the unit did not work!

I have BMW 535D build 9/2005. I have DVD, CD and CDC. With DVD and CD I can read mp3, however the CDC cannot read mp3. I have HW version 2 Gateway 500, and with 4 dipswitches. The first two are UP, and the other two are DOWN. Today I have upgraded to firmware 2.11, and this works fine. Altough the Gateway 500 cannot read my USB stick, and I do not get any extra options in the HU screen.

The most bus is connected from the HU to the CDC, to the Gateway 500 and back to HU. Strange that for other BMW this is reversed.
Don't worry about the CDC, mine also doesn't play MP3's...Pre-LCI's don't come with that function.

You have the GW51M02 right... I don't understand, does it work or not? your first phrase says it doesn't work...then, you said after upgrading the f/w to ver2.11, it works? fyi, your usb port must work... if it doesn't, it wouldn't of upgraded the f/w version, right?Gateway 500 supports all standard compliant USB mass storage devices with FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 file system. This can be a USB flash drive, an MP3 player, a portable hard drive with USB interface, a PDA or even a digital camera.

have you tried resetting the unit? you insert a pin and gently press it inside the small hole on your aux box...this will show you f/w version on your iPod...

if this doesn't work, then try checking back the connections...you see, optical fibre MOST connections work in a sequence. i suspect that if resetting the unit doesn't work, your installation/connections might not be right...and, if i'm not mistaken it's supposed to be HU-->GW500 --->CDC---> HU...see installation 2a here: http://support.dension.com/downloads/Gatew...stall_Guide.pdf

p.s - in your future posts, can you at least locate where you're from and your car specs, so that other won't have to ask again and again...
Old 04-29-2008, 03:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmw_wpq31' post='570431' date='Apr 29 2008, 02:35 AM
Don't worry about the CDC, mine also doesn't play MP3's...Pre-LCI's don't come with that function.

You have the GW51M02 right... I don't understand, does it work or not? your first phrase says it doesn't work...then, you said after upgrading the f/w to ver2.11, it works? fyi, your usb port must work... if it doesn't, it wouldn't of upgraded the f/w version, right?Gateway 500 supports all standard compliant USB mass storage devices with FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 file system. This can be a USB flash drive, an MP3 player, a portable hard drive with USB interface, a PDA or even a digital camera.

have you tried resetting the unit? you insert a pin and gently press it inside the small hole on your aux box...this will show you f/w version on your iPod...

if this doesn't work, then try checking back the connections...you see, optical fibre MOST connections work in a sequence. i suspect that if resetting the unit doesn't work, your installation/connections might not be right...and, if i'm not mistaken it's supposed to be HU-->GW500 --->CDC---> HU...see installation 2a here: http://support.dension.com/downloads/Gatew...stall_Guide.pdf

p.s - in your future posts, can you at least locate where you're from and your car specs, so that other won't have to ask again and again...
On the Dension Gateway is written;
HW: V2R11
Below the bar code is written;
G5MOR00024910

The Gateway reads the USB stick, I can see the LED is flashing. I have add the new firmare and after the Gateway has read the firmware the file is replaced with a *.bin files, this happens also. So the unit is working!

However no signal into the MOST bust. I have hooked up the MOST bus in both way, in the manual is written for a E60/61 HU --> CDC --> Gateway, and back. For other BMW, it's HU --> Gateway --> CDC.

In my car I also have a TV unit, this one is NOT working when the Gateway is installed into the MOST bus.

I guess there must be something wrong or a conflict on the MOST bus.

Do you have any suggestions I can try out?

Jan-Peter
Old 04-29-2008, 04:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jan-Peter' post='570665' date='Apr 29 2008, 07:12 PM
The Gateway reads the USB stick, I can see the LED is flashing. I have add the new firmare and after the Gateway has read the firmware the file is replaced with a *.bin files, this happens also. So the unit is working!
However no signal into the MOST bust. I have hooked up the MOST bus in both way, in the manual is written for a E60/61 HU --> CDC --> Gateway, and back. For other BMW, it's HU --> Gateway --> CDC.
In my car I also have a TV unit, this one is NOT working when the Gateway is installed into the MOST bus.
I guess there must be something wrong or a conflict on the MOST bus.
Do you have any suggestions I can try out?
mine also has tv and until today has no problems whatsoever.i definately know there's something wrong with your installation...
Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmw_wpq31' post='570673' date='Apr 29 2008, 01:18 PM
mine also has tv and until today has no problems whatsoever.i definately know there's something wrong with your installation...
Ok..what can be wrong???

There is power on the unit, the unit can read the USB and do the update firmware. So...I guess the unit is working fine, it's only that there is going something wrong with the MOST bus.

Is there any time the MOST bus need to reset?

How did you hooked it up? HU --> CDC --> Gateway (this is valid for a E60/E61)
Old 04-29-2008, 04:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jan-Peter' post='570680' date='Apr 29 2008, 01:26 PM
Ok..what can be wrong???

There is power on the unit, the unit can read the USB and do the update firmware. So...I guess the unit is working fine, it's only that there is going something wrong with the MOST bus.

Indeed.....I must have done something wrong..... I checked all wiring...and it's WORKING

Thanks for your help!

I can hook up my iPhone, and it's working, altough the iPhone is not charged when hooked up. Do I need to use another cable?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jan-Peter' post='570680' date='Apr 29 2008, 08:26 PM
Ok..what can be wrong???

Yupp! it's your installation, not you MOST...sequence of the install must of been done wrongly!

Peter...have you looked at installation option 2(a) in the link that i've attached in my previous post today?...that is the only way you install the unit, and fyi, there's no other way to do it! Yours is CCC+mp3+CDC right? Do the installation accordingly...

Once done according to the sequence as 2a, you reset the unit...make sure the mode switch is set to GW500 mode and not CDC. switch off your car and switch it back on...it's supposed to work!

I'm on the GW51M01 h/w version...if yours is version 2, yours is newer than mine...but, i have 6 dipswitches and yours has 4...Weird!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jan-Peter' post='570688' date='Apr 29 2008, 08:51 PM
Indeed.....I must have done something wrong..... I checked all wiring...and it's WORKING

Thanks for your help!

I can hook up my iPhone, and it's working, altough the iPhone is not charged when hooked up. Do I need to use another cable?
Yes...in order for you to charge the iPod Classic/Touch/iPhone, a special blue-din cable is needed...but, for the time being it doesn't support iPod/iPhone Videos...Just wait for their update, and i guarantee that dension will come up with something! Enjoy your GW500. You won't regret your purchase...fyi, i haven't used my CDC for more than a month...
Old 04-29-2008, 05:09 AM
Contributors

i forgot to mention that with the standard cable + ive1000, it supports iPod Videos from iPod 5G...I'm on that iPod!

Quick Reply: Dension GW500+BTA1500+IVE1000