E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension GW500+BTA1500+IVE1000

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The Dension does not have any limitations and IMHO is a far superior product than the BMW OEM kit. Its got added features that make it very interesting.

Take care about what instructions you use and dont use the ones that you download from the website because they are not the same as the ones for this unit and in the box. I've posted the manual in Muttley's thread that is linked from the 1st post in this thread.

The units have now started showing up on eBay and one just sold for less than what Val was selling his for @ $350. So watch that site if you are interested.

I will post a full DIY at a later date when I have things installed clean. And as with everything I do it will not involve any cut wires.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY2005 E60 525i M Sports

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='564518' date='Apr 20 2008, 02:09 PM
Does the Dension IPOd adapter have limitations like BMW IPOd adapter? 255 playlists/only shows few artists upto J or something

Nope!!! No limitations as of what i have on my iPod video 5G (more than 5000 songs and at least 30 iPod movies...) It's like my iPod is built in the iDrive system. Playlist is displayed instantaneously. when in shuffle mode, it displays more than 50 pages...i even catogorize my iPod video playlist to make it easier to find through GW500...

you can even add-on an additional bluetooth module for A2DP music via bluetooth and bt phone through GW500.

Can you imagine that...
Old 04-20-2008, 05:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='564476' date='Apr 20 2008, 06:00 AM
Cool... I still wonder why it didn't work for me. But since it works for you, I'm gonna say, I'm sure its the MP3 not enabled on my car.. Oh well, my loss. Enjoy your unit..
I see you have CDC, then you can proove that the Dension Gateway is working, use the non-text-BMW DIP switch setting as per Install Manual.
And later you can enable MP3 by dealer.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Huh.. I didn't know there was a non text BMW DIP switch. Oh well, unit is sold anyways.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Contributors

Just recieved the BTA1500 this morning. will update on the installation and features with f/w update ver2.11 once on the car...
Old 04-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Contributors

I just installed the BTA1500 with GW500. had to uninstall BTA1000 for this to work...

bluetooth phone via BTA1500 connects on any entertainment source - not just limited to CD/GW500 mode...It now uses the same UI as of the I-drive Communication menu. It also works like the original bluetooth interface (TCU) with slight bugs that i'm sure will be sorted out by Dension...

What's wrong with it? Well, from my observation :

it doesn't display phonebook as mentioned in the ads (or even caller-id when an incoming call occurs) and voicedial doesn't work like on the BTA1000. i've tried pairing with a Motorola v3, v3i, WM6 MDA and O2 Atom Life (WM6) and it all doesn't display phonebook (which according to the compatability list, it should work)...

The "dial number" function in Communication UI lets you key-in the number via the idrive knob, but after keying in the number you plan to call, you're unable to slide the i-drive knob down to 'dial'....This means, now you can't make an outgoing call without holding your phone - calls have to be done through phone!

Signal icon is not present when paired, but when on an incoming call/ outgoing call/ still on call and the engine is switched off, the signal icon appears and blinks. Weird!...

But, A2DP works properly... I wanted the voice dial because i don't have "Voice Control" on my car and with BTA1000 it'll only work on CD/GW500 mode and won't work when on other entertainment modes.

So, i was quite frustrated with the outcome results ...For now i think i'll have to fix back BTA1000 and wait until Dension comes up with a bugfix for this...
Old 04-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Contributors

GW500, just out of curiousity, will the bta1500 function if the CCC is not updated via Progman for TCU function (bluetooth enabled)? In my case, i already have the TCU in the car...So, likely CCC is already updated with this function...What will happen if the car doesn't have the bt phone function? Will it work exactly like what i've described above? A couple of members here have been PM'ing me for answers which i myself am not sure of... Don't want to give misleading answers...
Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmw_wpq31' post='568924' date='Apr 27 2008, 04:55 AM
it doesn't display phonebook as mentioned in the ads (or even caller-id when an incoming call occurs) and voicedial doesn't work like on the BTA1000. i've tried pairing with a Motorola v3, v3i, WM6 MDA and O2 Atom Life (WM6) and it all doesn't display phonebook (which according to the compatability list, it should work)...

The "dial number" function in Communication UI lets you key-in the number via the idrive knob, but after keying in the number you plan to call, you're unable to slide the i-drive knob down to 'dial'....This means, now you can't make an outgoing call without holding your phone - calls have to be done through phone!
Yes, what you described is a known limitation currently.
The CCC SW and BMW phone module is changed quite a lot with Progman V27 and the phone module simulation part of Gateway 500 is not working correctly in those cars. We are on the way to solve this quickly!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmw_wpq31' post='569087' date='Apr 27 2008, 04:41 PM
GW500, just out of curiousity, will the bta1500 function if the CCC is not updated via Progman for TCU function (bluetooth enabled)? In my case, i already have the TCU in the car...So, likely CCC is already updated with this function...What will happen if the car doesn't have the bt phone function? Will it work exactly like what i've described above? A couple of members here have been PM'ing me for answers which i myself am not sure of... Don't want to give misleading answers...
No they need to enable BT phone capability in CCC/M-ASK. You are lucky as you have it enabled already.

In the future you can expect a solution from Dension or from a partner company to have an easier solution to enable devices on BMWs.
That is a crazy solution from BMW, that it takes 4-5 hours to update the car's SW, when you just want to enable a CDC, Phone or a TV Tuner...
Old 04-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GW500' post='569225' date='Apr 28 2008, 02:40 AM
No they need to enable BT phone capability in CCC/M-ASK. You are lucky as you have it enabled already.

In the future you can expect a solution from Dension or from a partner company to have an easier solution to enable devices on BMWs.
That is a crazy solution from BMW, that it takes 4-5 hours to update the car's SW, when you just want to enable a CDC, Phone or a TV Tuner...
Thanks GW500. At least now we've got answers on how it really works...Sorry guys, the dension bta1500 solution in making it exactly like oem still has to be updated via Progman first! but, how do we update bt phone in the CCC without a TCU? i think this is going to be very difficult to do...

But at least, bta1000 will still work for cars without bt phone...

Quick Reply: Dension GW500+BTA1500+IVE1000