E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Dension Gateway GW500 + iPhone 4

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by nigxdoof
I'll tell you now from my jailbreaking experiences. My old 3g was slow to begin with and all I did was install apps and worked great. And I had task manager and multi tasking.

With the new Iphone 4. I have it mainly to install free apps and performance is exactly the same and I also list the memory up on the task bar to see how much memory it takes. Also with SB settings, it helps uses the toggles for any settings you want to change around.

Jailbreaking is so easy now, you just go to the website and it takes 1-2 minutes tops and you're done. And Jailbreaking also became legal two weeks ago that is why everyone's pushing out new jailbreak techniques.

And tethering is a great feature for us jailbreakers.

Dont forget to be able to play SNES ROMS and Emulators... I could go on and on about jailbreaking. I just recently converted a handful of people to it with the Iphone 4 and 3GS. They were adamant about not doing it until I showed them the benefits and if you dont like it, Just back up your phone and restore it and its gone.

There is this one feature I forgot to mention, you can use VNC to remote into your phone and control it. I dont know what you can do potentially, but its freaking cool! Only plus I think is using the keyboard of your computer on your iphone... (I dont know the reasoning but its an option) LOL.

Facetime without wifi, Wireless Syncing, Backdooring into files of the Iphone. I'll keep rambling on and on and on.

I guess it comes down to if you can give me a good enough reason to not jailbreak it, I'll stop and support that idea, but if the reason is BS like "I just dont want to." I wont stop. HAHAH
You lost me at SB setting...

Do you go to Cydia for jailbreaking?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Nope, you can go to jailbreakme.com.

First back up your phone with your apps and info. Then go to Jailbreakme.com on your iphone safari. Swipe the item on the website and in 2 minutes, its done. If you are up to that part, Cydia is installed on your phone and that's it!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D
Model Year: 2006

hey guys, Im curious about the dension GW500 and have a couple of questions if anyone can answer...

1, My 2006 E60 has a built in CD changer, if I move over to my iphone 4 MP3 with GW500, will I loose the CD Changer?
2, Im not sure if my Car will currently play MP3 disks, I havent tried, will this affect anything if not?
3, is any additional recoding going to be required by the new dealer?
4, Is a dension GW500 a generic unit or are there various models available for different make cars?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 PM
New Members

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this is one of the very few posts out there that I could find regarding the iPhone 4 and the Dension GW500.

2 questions:

- Can you control your iPod music via iDrive?
- Do you use the bluetooth option and if so, do you like it?

Okay, so that was really three questions :-).

Brenden
Old 10-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Brenden, I did not get the Dension yet, but I do use my iPhone 4 with the OEM bluetooth and it works mostly fine. Though you do have to keep the phone software up to date and it does take longer to ring in the car now, than it did with my old iPhone (3G). But 95% of it is fine.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:22 PM
New Members

Just FYI, check out www.bumperplugs.com. Eric has been a primary distributor for the Dension Gateway 500 for over 6 years. I am sure he can help you out with any aspect of the product. He is very knowledgable with them.

Here is the website, the Dension is located about half way down the page. Hope this helps
Bumperplugs.com
Old 05-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Update: I actually ended up getting the Dension. Have been using it for about a month with my iPhone 4. There are a few issues, but everything is working well. For the most part.

My biggest issue is that when I'm plugged in to the Dension, playing Pandora and get a call, somehow my car's Bluetooth deactivates and I cannot reset it, until I restart the car and unplug the phone, plug it back in. Also, I've had a few "SOS Call Malfunction" messages come up on the iDrive. And for whatever reason, the one time I did try to use a flash stick, it didn't work too well - read the stick for five mins and then shut down. Had to restart the car to get Dension to work again, but it didn't read that flash stick anymore. Weird.

I contacted Dension customer support and am not pleased to report that they are also douchebags - when I told the guy about the bluetooth issue, he just said "why don't you buy the Dension bluetooth module?"

This just goes to prove my theory: if you want it to work right, OEM is your only path. With that said, this is one of my favorite mods of all times. I love having access to my digital media finally! And the names of tracks come up on the iDrive screen just fine - functionally, it is a great mod. Just have these bugs that no one knows how to fix - bet if I lived close to someone like Bruce Miranda, I'd have these things ironed out in no time though. So fundamentally, I still think it is a great mod