E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, yes, good point. Go ahead and wax your clear bra...I'd forgotten that point.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

After driving my e39 for 5 years and seeing my headlights look like they were sandblasted and my hood coverd with hundreds of rock chips, the X-Pel clear bra was my first purchase.

I have the hood, mirrors, and headlights done. For me this was a no brain investment which has rewarded my with not a single rock chip.

I will not own another BMW without it.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

Here in Canada (at least on the praires) the winters are cold and snowy. The city's either salt the ice on the roads or as they do where I live, they put down sand (actually little stones) ... which is better for the environment, better for your car (as salt will make your car rust) but really bad for your paint and windshields ... the clear bar and window insurance is your only answer (next to moving or parking it for the winter)
Old 06-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I am voting for NO, on clear bra. no matter if you bought the car or leased.

For leased cars, you really don't need to spend the extra cash because occasional stone chips are accepted as normal wear and tear.

Even if you bought the car, and intend to keep it a long time, and also want a higher re-sale value for keeping your car in pristine condition, the right choice is still NO.

First, the clear bra will not maintain its luster after a year or so.

2nd, the uncovered part of the hood will still get chipped, and will contrast with the protected area. Thus making it look even more ugly.

3rd, it costs $500+

4th, why you resell your car in let's say 4 or more years, the car will be worth the same regardless of clear bras' usage. The more evenly worn hood will look better than half new hood.

5th, if the chips really bothers you. A new coat of paint will only cost you $200.

6th, the edge of the film will retain dirt and will form a visible line.

Do it only if you're doing it to help out your local economy.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jun 3 2005, 11:06 AM

2nd, the uncovered part of the hood will still get chipped, and will contrast with the protected area. Thus making it look even more ugly.

3rd, it costs $500+

4th, why you resell your car in let's say 4 or more years, the car will be worth the same regardless of clear bras' usage. The more evenly worn hood will look better than half new hood.

5th, if the chips really bothers you. A new coat of paint will only cost you $200.

6th, the edge of the film will retain dirt and will form a visible line.?
[snapback]135885[/snapback]
1. It wont completly but after over 2 years its still retaining 85 to 90% of its original luster or whatever u call it. It still looks fine.

2. Uncover part of the hood will get chipped thats right but for 2 years plus now I have 2 small chips. not even noticable. So you wont see the "LINE" or "CONTRAST" of chips and I drive 55 miles a day on the 710 freeway truck heaven = rock chips galore

3. cant argue the cost. it costs a bit of $$

4. Ya resale value would be the same I guess but if you want your car to look nice and you want to keep it for a while like me I would go for it. and If I was buying and I saw a chipped hood I would factor that into the consideration.

5. a new paint will cost only $200????? WOW I should have contacted you!!! ~$600 to paint jsut the front bumper from the dealer! Shit I got ripped off and spit out from behind then.

6. Yes dirt... you must take some effort to keep it clean. Not bad... take some time and wipe the edges with a cotton cloth.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jun 3 2005, 02:02 PM
5. a new paint will cost only $200????? WOW I should have contacted you!!! ~$600 to paint jsut the front bumper from the dealer! Shit I got ripped off and spit out from behind then.

[snapback]135896[/snapback]
When I sold my 8 years old 328i, I didn't go for full blown factory quality paint job. I was quoted $200 by a local paint shop for sanding and painting with clear coat.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:13 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jun 3 2005, 02:06 PM
I am voting for NO, on clear bra. no matter if you bought the car or leased.

For leased cars, you really don't need to spend the extra cash because occasional stone chips are accepted as normal wear and tear.

Even if you bought the car, and intend to keep it a long time, and also want a higher re-sale value for keeping your car in pristine condition, the right choice is still NO.

Mine is 14 months and has as much luster as ever. I used RejeX on it early on -- warranty requires you to treat it as if it were paint.

Most of the chips on my 540 were exactly where the clear bra protects.

3rd, it costs $500+

What does it cost to repaint the hood, bumper, etc.?

Never had that much problem above the line which most kits cover. Much better to sell a protected front end than a pitted one. I always sell myself or pass it into the family.

Now that's a pretty cheap paint job for a BMW. Dentless repair costs that much.

6th, the edge of the film will retain dirt and will form a visible line.

Excess wax can be cleaned when fresh with a Q-tip. Better yet, use RejeX and avoid the problem. I shoulda bought stock in that company!?

Do it only if you're doing it to help out your local economy.

Or for pride of ownership.

[snapback]135885[/snapback]