E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Atlanta and you are right - it is impossible to avoid everything. I appreciate the input - I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

It is theoretically impossible to spot every pebble on the road at 80 mph on the highway.

It's not pebbles just lying on the road which cause rock chips on the hood. It's pebbles that get kicked up by cars in front of you.... which hit your car because you follow too closely.

Leave enough room in front of you, and those pebbles kicked up by the guy in front of you will stop bouncing before you get tagged.

I drive 60 miles a day, through severe road construction... on Interstate 4, and the 408 toll road in Orlando.... I don't have a bra, and I don't have rock chips.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I've had my clear-bra for a little over a year now. It was just replaced by the dealership where I had it installed due to the fact that it was yellowing quite badly. Very noticeable on a White car. I am satisfied with the replacement. I did get a chip through the 3M stuff but I can just imagine how bad it would have been if I didn't have it.
If I remember correctly, mine was around $500 installed. I didn't opt for the headlights or foglights but the mirrors are done.

My $0.02.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:13 PM
JDN
Contributors

Not following too closely may save you some rocks, but it will not save all. Some rocks get kicked up by oncoming traffic - cars as well as trucks. No way to dodge those. I caught a rock in the windshield while my son was driving three weeks ago. He felt terrible, but it was just destined to be. It could have come from oncoming traffic or from traffic ahead. No trucks involved at all. You can also catch a rock from a vehicle passing you, so slow cautious driving is not the answer.

Besides, if all you are doing is laying back so you don't catch a rock, a Lexus would be a better choice. E60s are made to drive.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I say YAY! Get it. its worth it. Any other state other than FL you have no choice... you have to follow cars in front of you else you'll get shot at! Read the LA Times.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Members

I've installed the "clear bra stuff" (3M material) on several E39 BMWs and a few other cars. I probably have 20 or so under my belt.

I first did my 2001 530 just over 4 years ago and it is doing fine. My car color is Topaz Blue so it leans a bit to the dark side (of the force ).

I've mostly used the Xpel brand of this stuff but I've done a few BMW brand (all the same material, just different cuts).

My take on this is that it will prevent rock chips but it will not protect any areas, well, not protected! Duh, right? Well, my point is that it will protect those areas most prone to rock chips and thus, at the minimum, extend the amount of time in which you might consider a whole hood/front bumper repainting.

If you are in an area where your paint looks like swiss cheese after 3 years, the clear bra might extend that time to 5 years before the unprotected parts start to bother you enough to need a repaint. I'm at 4 years + and while I have plenty of chips above the protection, it isn't to the the point of bugging me to me...YMMV!

Installation is interesting. The E39 wasn't too bad except around the curved portion of the hood where it curved down into the kidney grill area. Since the E60 has this portion separate, it should be much easier and take less time.

I don't exactly advertise my "clear bra installation" services (I'm a weekend BMW addict) but I would consider installing a few E60s clear bras for a very good price. I don't charge anywhere near what a pro would but I am good. Let me put it this way, once you've done one, you are pretty much set and are comfortable with handling this stuff. The first time is a pain.

Finally, dark cars hide the clear bra better than lighter ones but a very clean install will make it virtually undetectable even on white cars. However, when the car is dirty, that line on the hood will stand out like a sore thumb on ANY color car.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:43 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Jun 3 2005, 10:44 AM
However, when the car is dirty, that line on the hood will stand out like a sore thumb on ANY color car.
[snapback]135831[/snapback]
Another point in favor of RejeX. It is not prone to show like a wax residue line on a clear bra, or other edges either, as a matter of fact.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jun 3 2005, 09:43 AM
[quote name='?gent99' date='Jun 3 2005, 10:44 AM'] However, when the car is dirty, that line on the hood will stand out like a sore thumb on ANY color car.
Another point in favor of RejeX. It is not prone to show like a wax residue line on a clear bra, or other edges either, as a matter of fact.
[snapback]135844[/snapback]
[/quote]

What is RejeX? Gotta link?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jun 3 2005, 10:43 AM
[quote name='?gent99' date='Jun 3 2005, 10:44 AM'] However, when the car is dirty, that line on the hood will stand out like a sore thumb on ANY color car.
[/quote]
Should you put Rejex on the clear bar or avoid it at all costs?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Jun 3 2005, 12:21 PM
[quote name='JDN' date='Jun 3 2005, 10:43 AM'][quote name='?gent99' date='Jun 3 2005, 10:44 AM'] However, when the car is dirty, that line on the hood will stand out like a sore thumb on ANY color car.
[/quote]
Should you put Rejex on the clear bar or avoid it at all costs?
[snapback]135856[/snapback]
[/quote]

3M is clearcoated, so you can treat it as paint. My installers said to keep it sprayed with Meguire's Quick Detail, but you can apply wax (and probably should) once it cures.

Quick Reply: Clear bra