E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Cleaning the MAF did wonders

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by salaki' post='834248' date='Apr 2 2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah.. I ended up removing the whole thing and cleaned my MAF
A lot easier than riding around tool store and look stupid when you ask for a T26. Hahaha...
That's what google is for
Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

has anyone used BOSCH Security Torx Bit Set ? ? ?

BOSCH CC60391 6 Piece Security Torx Bit Set BOSCH CC60391 6 Piece Security Torx Bit Set
Old 04-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 5satku' post='833852' date='Apr 2 2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the picture, I have to check if my 530d engine looks the same......
No it does not; yours is a straight 6 vs a V8. There are some topics'on the MAF with pictures.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

the last time i used a maf cleaner on our ml, it f'd it up ended up spending $500 for a new one. Tried it AGAIN on our malibu, f'd it up, ended up buying a new maf unit again! 3rd times a charm... think not, I dont think its work screwing around with, espcially because its an expensive part.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

i got my torx bit set from auto zone, or pepboys 5-6 years ago, 10 piece set......cheap, and the one needed is in there as well
Old 04-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by tbal' post='835001' date='Apr 3 2009, 03:40 AM
the last time i used a maf cleaner on our ml, it f'd it up ended up spending $500 for a new one. Tried it AGAIN on our malibu, f'd it up, ended up buying a new maf unit again! 3rd times a charm... think not, I dont think its work screwing around with, espcially because its an expensive part.

How exactly did you screw it up?
Old 04-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tbal' post='835001' date='Apr 3 2009, 03:40 AM
Well you must be one clumsy guy so in that case I would recomned not doing it a third time. The part is 200 bucks for a new one so not sure how they ripped you off for 500 bucks. So you get a fast one pulled on you too after your butter fingers messed it up. I highly recomned against this then!

Kidding of course, but in all honest it is impossible to mess up unless you are dumb and you touch the actually sensor wire, you drop the thing or you hold the nozzle to close to the wire and spray it too hard instead of misting it from 10 inches away or whatever the BOTTLE says. So who knows.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='835205' date='Apr 3 2009, 11:53 PM
Well you must be one clumsy guy so in that case I would recomned not doing it a third time. The part is 200 bucks for a new one so not sure how they ripped you off for 500 bucks. So you get a fast one pulled on you too after your butter fingers messed it up. I highly recomned against this then!

Kidding of course, but in all honest it is impossible to mess up unless you are dumb and you touch the actually sensor wire, you drop the thing or you hold the nozzle to close to the wire and spray it too hard instead of misting it from 10 inches away or whatever the BOTTLE says. So who knows.
Cleaned mine today, it's difficult to mess up. I used CRC contact cleaner instead of the MAF sensor cleaner cos I couldn't find it in Hong Kong.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='829995' date='Mar 29 2009, 04:42 PM
Dude you dont need a DIY. You just take the regular screw driver or the star screw driver that a lot of bmw screws use, pop the hood, unscrew the blatently obvious MAF from the airbox. Pick it up with your fingers, put a towel beneath and spray it 12 times, hold it for 30 seconds and put it back in, and put the screws back on. This one is a no brainer even for an amateur like myself

Really easy DIY and yes you need Security T25 bit. I have cleaned it today, have not had the chance to drive around yet but the idle is much smoother. I have 41K miles. I'll see if you feel any difference in driving or in mpg tomorrow.

BUT Here is the BIG question:

While doing this I managed to droop the T35 bit in the engine bay, just around the sensor. I heard it go down, hit against the metal and finlay a sound of it touching/resting on the plastic. I can't see it but I think it is resting on the bottom bay cover. I have not taken the bottom cover off to retrieve the wrench yet. I was going to go to my brother's place tomorrow who has better jack and jack stand to make it easier to work.

DO YOU think it is safe to drive about 60 miles before I can take the think off? Hopefully it would not jump around and catch in some kind of belt or any other mechanical part. What do you guys think?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='835205' date='Apr 3 2009, 08:53 AM

Whats there to be clumsy about spraying a can into a mass air flow sensor you tard. These sensors are super fragile and some of these sprays can contaminate, make things worse. Its 200usd??... translate that to Canadian funds, add taxes.. hmmm adds up dont it? haha. Do your research before you bark mr know it all. As for my fingers being like butter, your the idiot that wanted to pour gas directly into the engine rather than into the fuel tank. Call me butter fingers haha, instead of pouring gas directly into the engine, maybe you should just start using 86 octane gas? add some canola oil? ROFLLLLLLLLL aahhahaha what were you planning on gaining? mpg? hp?

Quick Reply: Cleaning the MAF did wonders