E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Can she go any faster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Iteachgolf
Actually California has the strictest smog laws. No supercharger for the 5 series is CARB approved. VF Engineering makes a supercharger for the m54 E60 and can be had for less than $4,000. Install would be less than $1,000. With headers, cams, custom FMIC and more boost (new tune as well) you would still be under or around the $10k number and could produce 350-400 rwhp (415-470 bhp) and be a good bit lighter than an M5. Also factor in the motor would produce that power at a lower rpm that it'd more than likely create more power throughout most of the rpm range up until the redline on the M54. Granted not many will go this route but he can be done without touching the bottom end. With lower compression engine rebuild your could easily see 420+ rwhp which would be as much power as an M5 in a lighter package. Cheapest bang for your buck would be the VF supercharger and headers, huge restriction in the m54, which would put down about 370-380bhp at 8psi for about $5,500 -$6000 total installed. While some think spending $5,000 on the engine is nuts many have wheels that cost nearly that much or more
It's not the cost vs wheels that gets to me. It's the cost vs benefit+resale. Our cars are already diminishing in value like day old bread, wheels I can resell for nearly what I paid for them (depending on condition), who buys a used SC? Plus I factor in the cost vs a comparable E60 M5 and it doesn't compute, I can trade in my car and add $5k down and get a 2008 M5 for less than my payment was for my car originally when I bought it. At that point it makes little to no sense to buy the SC kit, especially since I live in Cali where no SC is an option.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely understand. I am superecharging as the i6 is super reliable and can take a pretty good beating (there are 1,000hp m52 and 700+hp m54) and are very cheap to buy parts for and god forbid you have a failure engines are a dime a dozen can be found relatively easily in comparison. Thee is no emissions testing in FL and even after the supercharger plus possible engine rebuild I'll have less than $30k into the car including absolutely everything. With how expensive repairs are on the M5 and how many miles I like to drive it makes more sense to build an extra motor and have it waiting just in case then buy an M5. I don't plan on reselling my car, as it is paid for, and will just buy an additional car when I want something different.

My main point was that it doesn't cost over $10k to add a centrifugal SC kit and could be done for less than $5k and would put down about 340bhp in a m54b30 at only 6psi with headers and exhaust.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Former Vendor

Hello guys!!1st post!

Just want to lay down some concrete facts because it definitely won't cost $10k to S/C your car. More like $4500 for +105hp

VF supercharger for M54 3.0 liter
  • 330hp, 275tq
  • 5.5- 6.0 psi
  • Custom ECU tune
  • Vortech V-3 sq supercharger

http://vf-engineering.com/other-bmw/bmw-e39e60/
Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Originally Posted by VF Engineering
Hello guys!!1st post!

Just want to lay down some concrete facts because it definitely won't cost $10k to S/C your car. More like $4500 for +105hp

VF supercharger for M54 3.0 liter
  • 330hp, 275tq
  • 5.5- 6.0 psi
  • Custom ECU tune
  • Vortech V-3 sq supercharger

http://vf-engineerin...bmw/bmw-e39e60/
You guys wouldn't happen to make anything for the N52B30 engine, would you?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

My car is paid for too and I have no intentions of selling it either I value what mods I already put into it and buyers don't care to pay for expensive mods you added all they know is what kbb tells them LOL. Ideally id love to get an m5 too but I think that car might be too much to maintain, between gas and constant repairs I'd surely be spending more on upkeep. That being said man I would love to drive my car at 330 HP that kinda power even though not the fastest, still puts me at a nice under estimating advantage at the red light take off when some punk in a acura Tl tries to skip the line. Although I don't really have 5 k hanging around however i do get lucky at Atlantic city city sometimes maybe one day ill win and give vf engineering a call. Can anyone list pros and cons to supercharging also does it make my car sound louder or will it still be nice and quiet.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Honestly, go supercharger! We can get you one for a good price!

It is $6200 for the E60 with TS1. TS2 is $6850. Install, we will charghe you $500!!!

Product Description
The ESS M54B30 TS1 series system is equipped with a Lysholm Twin Screw supercharger which has several advantages over the centrifugal compressors used in earlier ESS M52TU/M54 systems. It creates a higher boost-pressure at lower engine rpm, thus significantly increasing bottom and mid range torque. Lag time during shifts and on-off throttling are reduced to a minimum and the throttle response is incredible. The twin screw principle is also highly energy efficient, which contributes to the extreme power and torque output of the ESS TS Series systems. The system also utilizes a throttle body type butterfly air bypass valve to reduce SC parasitic drag and increase fuel economy during cruising conditions. The entire ESS TS system consumes less than 2hp during cruising and it is very energy and heat efficient.

The overall system efficiency, torque delivery, power production and room for higher power stages is considerably higher than that of any competitor. The Twin Screw supercharger is the only product on the market today to combine both a positive displacement design for maximum low-end torque and highly efficient top-end horsepower output. Also emission levels at high speed and boost are lower than with other turbo and supercharging systems.

The redesigned ESS MS43/45 engine control software is perfectly calibrated for the TS supercharged engine providing optimum ignition timing under all conditions, recalibrated EGas for quicker throttle response, recalibrated VANOS control and perfectly optimized fuel delivery supplied by the 6 larger Bosch fuel injectors included with the kit. The software also features a 6800RPM rev limit and removed top speed governor.

Power development is 100% smooth and the car behaves just like stock until you demand raw power. Then, the car completely transforms, providing brutal acceleration normally reserved for big displacement performance cars.

The system maintains all OBD-II functions and it is backed by a comprehensive 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty program. The system installs in 6-8 hours using normal hand tools and no irreversible modifications to the car is necessary.

System components:

-Custom ESS Spec Lysholm 1.6L Twin Screw supercharger unit.
-High strength, dual-layer cast aluminum alloy ESS intake manifold.
-Uni-belt SC drive system with additional OEM quality idler pulleys.
-6 larger Bosch fuel injectors.
-Throttle body style butterfly bypass system for superior fuel economy during cruising and optimal throttle response under all conditions.
-Perfectly optimized, dyno tweaked MS43/45 ECU software.
-CNC hard anodized brackets and hardware.
-Cast aluminium SC intake system with crankcase fume reduction system designed for boost.
-High temperature, custom made silicone hoses with clamps throughout the system.
-Detailed, step-by-step installation manual
-Heavy-Duty drive belt.
-All required installation hardware included
-2yr./unlimited mileage warranty.

ESS TS Series superchargers gives you the best of both worlds with instant boost, true industry-leading torque AND throttle response, while the ultra high efficiency of the twin-screw gives you maximum top end power. The TS1 is fully upgradeable to TS2 and TS3 and comes with the chambers for the Laminova based liquid intercoolers machined in, so if you ever decide to upgrade to TS2 or TS3 it can be easily retrofitted as part of the upgrade package.

ESS TS Series superchargers with it's Lysholm supercharger technology and CAD designed intake runners creates boost the instant the throttle is touched usually reaching full boost by ~2200 rpm ? long before a centrifugal supercharger commonly even creates 1psi of boost, resulting in breathtaking low-mid range acceleration and it also removes the need to rev the engine high to get good acceleration.

Correction factor for drivetrain loss is 15% above RWHP as seen in dynograph (RWHP/0.85)

Part number: 115-11
Boost pressure: 7 PSI
Horsepower: 320 SAE/325 DIN (ZHP vehicles +10HP)
Torque: 302 lf-ft/410 Nm
Installation time : 5-7 hours

Product Description
The ESS M54B30 TS2 series system is equipped with a Lysholm Twin Screw supercharger which has several advantages over the centrifugal compressors used in earlier ESS M52TU/M54 systems. It creates a higher boost-pressure at lower engine rpm, thus significantly increasing bottom and mid range torque. Lag time during shifts and on-off throttling are reduced to a minimum and the throttle response is incredible. The twin screw principle is also highly energy efficient, which contributes to the extreme power and torque output of the ESS TS Series systems. The patented liquid intercooling system consists of 3X500mm Laminova cores integrated into a high strength cast aluminium ESS intake manifold system covering all 6 cylinders resulting in flow-matched air distribution and optimal cylinder balance along with ultra-efficient cooling capacity for up to 550HP. The liquid intercooler coolant is pumped via a high capacity marine-grade circulation pump through a high capacity front mount heat exchanger. The system also utilizes a throttle body type butterfly air bypass valve to reduce SC parasitic drag and increase fuel economy during cruising conditions. The entire ESS TS system consumes less than 2hp during cruising and it is very energy efficient.

The overall system efficiency, torque delivery, power production, cooling capacity, and room for higher power stages is considerably higher than that of any competitor. The Twin Screw supercharger is the only product on the market today to combine both a positive displacement design for maximum low-end torque and highly efficient top-end horsepower output. Also emission levels at high speed and boost are lower than with other turbo and supercharging systems.

The redesigned ESS MS43/45 engine control software is perfectly calibrated for the TS supercharged engine providing optimum ignition timing under all conditions, recalibrated EGas for quicker throttle response, recalibrated VANOS control and perfectly optimized fuel delivery supplied by 6 larger Bosch fuel injectors also included with the kit. The software also features a 6800RPM rev limit and removed top speed governor.

Power development is 100% smooth and the car behaves just like stock until you demand raw power. Then, the car completely transforms, providing brutal acceleration normally reserved for big displacement performance cars.

The system maintains all OBD-II functions and it is backed by a comprehensive 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty program. The system installs in 8-10 hours using normal hand tools and no irreversible modifications to the car is necessary.

System components:

-Custom ESS Spec Lysholm 1.6L Twin Screw supercharger unit.
-High strength, dual-layer cast aluminum alloy ESS intake manifold with integrated high capacity Laminova based liquid intercooling system.
-Uni-belt SC drive system with additional OEM quality idler pulleys.
-6 larger Bosch fuel injectors.
-Throttle body style butterfly bypass system for superior fuel economy during cruising and optimal throttle response under all conditions.
-Perfectly optimized, dyno tweaked MS43/MS45 ECU software.
-CNC hard anodized brackets and hardware.
-Cast aluminium SC intake system with crankcase fume reduction system designed for boost.
-High temperature, custom made silicone hoses with clamps
-Detailed, step-by-step installation manual
-Heavy-Duty drive belt.
-All required installation hardware included
-2yr./unlimited mileage warranty.

ESS TS Series superchargers gives you the best of both worlds with instant boost, true industry-leading torque AND throttle response, while the ultra high efficiency of the twin-screw gives you maximum top end power. The TS2 is fully upgradeable to TS3.

ESS TS Series superchargers with it's Lysholm supercharger technology and CAD designed intake runners creates boost the instant the throttle is touched usually reaching full boost by ~2200 rpm ? long before a centrifugal supercharger commonly even creates 1psi of boost, resulting in breathtaking low-mid range acceleration and it also removes the need to rev the engine high to get good acceleration.

On automatic cars the boost is reduced to 7PSI due to transmission restrictions.

Correction factor for drivetrain loss is 15% above RWHP as seen in dynograph (RWHP/0.85)

Part number: 115-12
Boost pressure: 8 PSI
Horsepower: 345 SAE/350 DIN Manual, 335 SAE/340 DIN Auto, (ZHP vehicles +10HP)
Torque: 317 lb-ft/430 Nm Manual, 302 lb-ft/410 Nm Auto
Installation time : 8-10 hours

Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

Wow thanks for the info John I didn't even know did these
Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by spediegunz
Wow thanks for the info John I didn't even know did these

No problem. We are a dealer for ESS so I definitely know we have them
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

All due respect to an excellent vendor and a Buddy, John. It still wouldn't make sense for me, because I can get this: 2008 M5

Put $5k down, trade in my car and end up with a payment of $389/mo for 48 months. At that price the M5 makes way more sense
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Well in your case yeah the m5 would probably make much more sense what year is your car and how many miles do you have, also have you been quoted a trade in value... My car won't be worth much now for trade in and I'd probably have to put 5 down and make 3 years worth of payments so for me it doesn't make sence since my car is paid off buy if I were in your position the things that would concern me are no cpo , increase in gas and also fear of repair cost.

Quick Reply: Can she go any faster?