E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Can she go any faster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by Iteachgolf
... With how expensive repairs are on the M5 and how many miles I like to drive it makes more sense to build an extra motor and have it waiting just in case then buy an M5. I don't plan on reselling my car, as it is paid for, and will just buy an additional car when I want something different.

My main point was that it doesn't cost over $10k to add a centrifugal SC kit and could be done for less than $5k and would put down about 340bhp in a m54b30 at only 6psi with headers and exhaust.
Yessss...glad to hear someone talking sense about these costs!

Assuming you don't live in California, then what's it really going to cost you to switch to a 5 year old E60 M5 versus supercharging the non-M 5 series (E39, E60) you already have? You have to look at the total costs of both the transaction and the ownership of both cars not just the purchase price. Just the initial transaction costs are 3-6K. That can be most of what supercharging your current ride will cost. Maintenance and repairs on an M5 can be 3-5x higher, as can insurance. Fuel costs are double what you're paying. Age-related depreciation doesn't matter on an M5 after 3-4 years, but depreciation isn't over. The market price is then based on miles and the mileage penalty is huge, so if you actually want to drive it 15,000 miles per year better check what they're listing for with higher mileage. It's not much. To see why check the M5 forums for what they're paying for routine repairs and maintenance.

On the other hand, the resale price for a supercharger can be minimal, and an aftermarket-supercharged ride is probably going to sell for no more than a plain stock model in the same condition, so realistically you have to ignore any resale benefit to your project when you look at the costs.

The breakeven point is going to be around 3 months before owning the M5 becomes more expensive than doing a supercharger kit...and after that the M5 is going to cost $10K to $15K more per year depending on mileage.

Likewise, an '08 535i or 550i is going to cost $5K to $7K more per year. So, after the $3-6K transaction costs to trade rides, the breakeven point on a supercharger kit versus these options is still only a year or less.

I'm not trying to start a firefight here...just don't think it's right to dismiss aftermarket superchargers based on economics. Their relative cost actually looks pretty good compared to typical alternatives. They have their place.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by VF Engineering
Hello guys!!1st post!

Just want to lay down some concrete facts because it definitely won't cost $10k to S/C your car. More like $4500 for +105hp

VF supercharger for M54 3.0 liter
  • 330hp, 275tq
  • 5.5- 6.0 psi
  • Custom ECU tune
  • Vortech V-3 sq supercharger

http://vf-engineering.com/other-bmw/bmw-e39e60/
Do you guys have anything for the N52 2006 530i ??
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
Honestly, go supercharger! We can get you one for a good price!

It is $6200 for the E60 with TS1. TS2 is $6850. Install, we will charghe you $500!!!

Product Description
The ESS M54B30 TS1 series system is equipped with a Lysholm Twin Screw supercharger which has several advantages over the centrifugal compressors used in earlier ESS M52TU/M54 systems. It creates a higher boost-pressure at lower engine rpm, thus significantly increasing bottom and mid range torque. Lag time during shifts and on-off throttling are reduced to a minimum and the throttle response is incredible. The twin screw principle is also highly energy efficient, which contributes to the extreme power and torque output of the ESS TS Series systems. The system also utilizes a throttle body type butterfly air bypass valve to reduce SC parasitic drag and increase fuel economy during cruising conditions. The entire ESS TS system consumes less than 2hp during cruising and it is very energy and heat efficient.

The overall system efficiency, torque delivery, power production and room for higher power stages is considerably higher than that of any competitor. The Twin Screw supercharger is the only product on the market today to combine both a positive displacement design for maximum low-end torque and highly efficient top-end horsepower output. Also emission levels at high speed and boost are lower than with other turbo and supercharging systems.

The redesigned ESS MS43/45 engine control software is perfectly calibrated for the TS supercharged engine providing optimum ignition timing under all conditions, recalibrated EGas for quicker throttle response, recalibrated VANOS control and perfectly optimized fuel delivery supplied by the 6 larger Bosch fuel injectors included with the kit. The software also features a 6800RPM rev limit and removed top speed governor.

Power development is 100% smooth and the car behaves just like stock until you demand raw power. Then, the car completely transforms, providing brutal acceleration normally reserved for big displacement performance cars.

The system maintains all OBD-II functions and it is backed by a comprehensive 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty program. The system installs in 6-8 hours using normal hand tools and no irreversible modifications to the car is necessary.

System components:

-Custom ESS Spec Lysholm 1.6L Twin Screw supercharger unit.
-High strength, dual-layer cast aluminum alloy ESS intake manifold.
-Uni-belt SC drive system with additional OEM quality idler pulleys.
-6 larger Bosch fuel injectors.
-Throttle body style butterfly bypass system for superior fuel economy during cruising and optimal throttle response under all conditions.
-Perfectly optimized, dyno tweaked MS43/45 ECU software.
-CNC hard anodized brackets and hardware.
-Cast aluminium SC intake system with crankcase fume reduction system designed for boost.
-High temperature, custom made silicone hoses with clamps throughout the system.
-Detailed, step-by-step installation manual
-Heavy-Duty drive belt.
-All required installation hardware included
-2yr./unlimited mileage warranty.

ESS TS Series superchargers gives you the best of both worlds with instant boost, true industry-leading torque AND throttle response, while the ultra high efficiency of the twin-screw gives you maximum top end power. The TS1 is fully upgradeable to TS2 and TS3 and comes with the chambers for the Laminova based liquid intercoolers machined in, so if you ever decide to upgrade to TS2 or TS3 it can be easily retrofitted as part of the upgrade package.

ESS TS Series superchargers with it's Lysholm supercharger technology and CAD designed intake runners creates boost the instant the throttle is touched usually reaching full boost by ~2200 rpm ? long before a centrifugal supercharger commonly even creates 1psi of boost, resulting in breathtaking low-mid range acceleration and it also removes the need to rev the engine high to get good acceleration.

Correction factor for drivetrain loss is 15% above RWHP as seen in dynograph (RWHP/0.85)

Part number: 115-11
Boost pressure: 7 PSI
Horsepower: 320 SAE/325 DIN (ZHP vehicles +10HP)
Torque: 302 lf-ft/410 Nm
Installation time : 5-7 hours

Product Description
The ESS M54B30 TS2 series system is equipped with a Lysholm Twin Screw supercharger which has several advantages over the centrifugal compressors used in earlier ESS M52TU/M54 systems. It creates a higher boost-pressure at lower engine rpm, thus significantly increasing bottom and mid range torque. Lag time during shifts and on-off throttling are reduced to a minimum and the throttle response is incredible. The twin screw principle is also highly energy efficient, which contributes to the extreme power and torque output of the ESS TS Series systems. The patented liquid intercooling system consists of 3X500mm Laminova cores integrated into a high strength cast aluminium ESS intake manifold system covering all 6 cylinders resulting in flow-matched air distribution and optimal cylinder balance along with ultra-efficient cooling capacity for up to 550HP. The liquid intercooler coolant is pumped via a high capacity marine-grade circulation pump through a high capacity front mount heat exchanger. The system also utilizes a throttle body type butterfly air bypass valve to reduce SC parasitic drag and increase fuel economy during cruising conditions. The entire ESS TS system consumes less than 2hp during cruising and it is very energy efficient.

The overall system efficiency, torque delivery, power production, cooling capacity, and room for higher power stages is considerably higher than that of any competitor. The Twin Screw supercharger is the only product on the market today to combine both a positive displacement design for maximum low-end torque and highly efficient top-end horsepower output. Also emission levels at high speed and boost are lower than with other turbo and supercharging systems.

The redesigned ESS MS43/45 engine control software is perfectly calibrated for the TS supercharged engine providing optimum ignition timing under all conditions, recalibrated EGas for quicker throttle response, recalibrated VANOS control and perfectly optimized fuel delivery supplied by 6 larger Bosch fuel injectors also included with the kit. The software also features a 6800RPM rev limit and removed top speed governor.

Power development is 100% smooth and the car behaves just like stock until you demand raw power. Then, the car completely transforms, providing brutal acceleration normally reserved for big displacement performance cars.

The system maintains all OBD-II functions and it is backed by a comprehensive 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty program. The system installs in 8-10 hours using normal hand tools and no irreversible modifications to the car is necessary.

System components:

-Custom ESS Spec Lysholm 1.6L Twin Screw supercharger unit.
-High strength, dual-layer cast aluminum alloy ESS intake manifold with integrated high capacity Laminova based liquid intercooling system.
-Uni-belt SC drive system with additional OEM quality idler pulleys.
-6 larger Bosch fuel injectors.
-Throttle body style butterfly bypass system for superior fuel economy during cruising and optimal throttle response under all conditions.
-Perfectly optimized, dyno tweaked MS43/MS45 ECU software.
-CNC hard anodized brackets and hardware.
-Cast aluminium SC intake system with crankcase fume reduction system designed for boost.
-High temperature, custom made silicone hoses with clamps
-Detailed, step-by-step installation manual
-Heavy-Duty drive belt.
-All required installation hardware included
-2yr./unlimited mileage warranty.

ESS TS Series superchargers gives you the best of both worlds with instant boost, true industry-leading torque AND throttle response, while the ultra high efficiency of the twin-screw gives you maximum top end power. The TS2 is fully upgradeable to TS3.

ESS TS Series superchargers with it's Lysholm supercharger technology and CAD designed intake runners creates boost the instant the throttle is touched usually reaching full boost by ~2200 rpm ? long before a centrifugal supercharger commonly even creates 1psi of boost, resulting in breathtaking low-mid range acceleration and it also removes the need to rev the engine high to get good acceleration.

On automatic cars the boost is reduced to 7PSI due to transmission restrictions.

Correction factor for drivetrain loss is 15% above RWHP as seen in dynograph (RWHP/0.85)

Part number: 115-12
Boost pressure: 8 PSI
Horsepower: 345 SAE/350 DIN Manual, 335 SAE/340 DIN Auto, (ZHP vehicles +10HP)
Torque: 317 lb-ft/430 Nm Manual, 302 lb-ft/410 Nm Auto
Installation time : 8-10 hours

John,
Does this work on an N52 engine also 2006 - 530i ?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Members

My Ride: OEM Specs - Titanium Silver, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Dakota Black Leather, Dark Poplar Wood trim, Xenon Adaptive Head Lights, Navigation, Satellite Radio Mods: Umnitza M5Tech Body Kit(Front, Rear and Side Skirts), Alufelgen 19/8.5 ET35 (Front) 19/9.5 ET35 (Rear), Continental DWS 245/35ZR19 (Front) 275/30ZR19 Rear, MGP Red Caliper Covers, RPI Air Scoops, BMS Power Box, FormulaOne Pinnacle Tint (VA Limits), Angel I Bright 3.0A (Bright White), R1 Premium D/S, Hawk HPS Pads, M5 Trunk Finisher, LCI LED Tail Lamps, Bruce Miranda v6.1 cable, 3M Shadowline Blackout tape, 6K Interior LED kit, Self Design Quad Exhaust (Center Resonator delete, Magnaflow 10791 Tru - X Stainless Steel 2.5" Exhaust Pipe, Vibrant 1793 Stainless Steel Bottle Style Resonator, Yonaka Stainless Steel Dual Exhaust Tips), H&R Sports Springs 29146-1 Vendors Used for Installation- Body Kit- BMW of Fairfax, Fairfax, VA Quad Exhaust- Monroe Brakes And Exhaust, Fairfax, VA Wheels and Tires- Hogan & Sons (Good Year), Ashburn, VA Tints- LA Tint, Manassas, VA Self Design Quad Exhaust- HPS Customs, Glen Burnie, MD H&R Sports Springs- Authority PitStop, VA Self Installs- MGP Caliper Covers, RPI Air Scoops, BMS Power Box, Angel I Bright 3.0A, R1 Premium D/S Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, M5 Trunk Finisher, LCI LED Tail Lamps with Bruce Miranda v6.1 cable, HID 6K Fogs with Canbus Ballasts, 6K License Plate Lights, Stealth Matte Black Grille, 3M Shadowline Blackout tape, 6K Interior LED kit. Retired: Umnitza Quad Exhaust

During my SC research for N52, i found this
http://www.armaspeed.com/eng/goods.php?catId=19

Not sure if anybody's got it in the forum. We can check with them and find out how much it costs and tr for Group Buys.

ARMA International Co., Ltd
E-mail?info@armaspeed.com?service@armaspeed.com
TEL?886-6-5930028
FAX?886-6-5938386
ADD?97-10,Liu Chia Tsun,An Ting Shiang,Tainan Hsien,745 Taiwan
ARMA Shanghai Office
E-mail?promotion@armaspeed.com
TEL?+86-13802768568
FAX?+86-21-61155825
ADD?613 Suite, No.868 Mao-Tai Road, Chang-Ning District, Shanghai City
ARMA Japan Office
E-mail?info@arma-japan.com
TEL?+81-52-753-5432
FAX?+81-52-753-5431
ADD?AK Bldg 302,1-307 Yashirogaoka,Meito-ku,Nagoya-city Aichi 465-0051 Japan
Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ricapar
You guys wouldn't happen to make anything for the N52B30 engine, would you?

Originally Posted by TheRacerBoss
Do you guys have anything for the N52 2006 530i ??

Sorry guys, we currently don't have a kit for N52's.

We are on the verge of releasing the kit for the 550i. Once we finish that project we are looking into the n52's.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Wow, seems I haven't been on the e60 forum in quite some time. I too am in the same boat as the rest of you with a m54 engine that I can't do anything more with. I have however gone one step further which you guys haven't listed and thats replaced my headers with catless headers. The headers is definitely the cheapest (relative) $ to HP ratio mod out for our cars, it definitely made the biggest difference out of all the mods.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by spediegunz
Well in your case yeah the m5 would probably make much more sense what year is your car and how many miles do you have, also have you been quoted a trade in value... My car won't be worth much now for trade in and I'd probably have to put 5 down and make 3 years worth of payments so for me it doesn't make sence since my car is paid off buy if I were in your position the things that would concern me are no cpo , increase in gas and also fear of repair cost.
I have the exact same car as you, getting $12k for it is not out of the question if you know how to negotiate, KBB value is $14k trade in on a "Good" condition car. As for gas? I work less than 7 miles from my house now, so gas is not as much of a worry as it was when I commuted 20 miles each way to work. Repairs? Almost anything on ANY car can be done DIY if you are mechanically inclined or know friends that can help you who are. I based my costs for that particular M5 on trade of my car +$5k down which wouldn't be unreasonable and it would equal what the SC kit would cost. The difference would be that I could get a car with less miles, 3 years newer (LCI as opposed to my Pre-LCI) for a payment that is roughly 60% of the payment I had on my current car when I bought it. Mine is paid for as well
Old 05-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Former Vendor

I've answered a few PM's from you guys, and it seems like there's a lot of interest for our VF kit.

If you guys are down for a group buy, here's what I can offer.

5 kits - $4100
10 kits - $3850
if there's more we'll talk

Remember these are for the new, satin-black finished kits.
If you guys are serious, let me know, I'll start a new thread. We'd like to help you guys continue to enjoy your m54's even more without breaking the bank or your car.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cleung
Wow, seems I haven't been on the e60 forum in quite some time. I too am in the same boat as the rest of you with a m54 engine that I can't do anything more with. I have however gone one step further which you guys haven't listed and thats replaced my headers with catless headers. The headers is definitely the cheapest (relative) $ to HP ratio mod out for our cars, it definitely made the biggest difference out of all the mods.
i remember reading somewhere that changing headers does nothing or lower performance in our cars what results have you made interms of hp gains after doing this mod??
Old 05-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

hmm gb prices sound nice but how much would i have to pay for someone to install it and dyno tune all that

Quick Reply: Can she go any faster?