E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Can she go any faster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been searching for all the possible ways to increase the power of my 04 530i because although I love its current power I'm still getting beat by a lot of cars out there LOL. I want to first try and do some of the easier non expensive mods/methods of getting the most out of my vehicle then depending on price I would move on to the more expensive options.

So I found a little website online talking about different solutions I wanted to get some feed back on them from those of you who may have tried any of these options, maybe you can tell me things like cost, and hp gain results weather dyno'd or just noticeable, and your overall feelings about the outcome happy or sad.

Also I'd like to welcome people to give suggestions aside from what I have provided, and please share the details as well.

1. Reflash the engine software. Modern BMW engines are controlled by complex computers that determine how much fuel, air and spark the engine gets and when (timing) the engine gets it. A reprogrammed ECU will change these settings and allow the engine to make more power. This is definitely an upgrade that should be made by a shop with the proper know-how and automotive diagnostic equipment to avoid damaging the motor.

2.Install a higher-flow throttle body. One of the restrictive areas on a 530i's engine is the throttle body, which is located on the intake side of the motor and is responsible for delivering air to the engine. A larger throttle body will deliver more air to the motor, producing more power and sharper throttle response.

3.Replace the stock exhaust. In stock form, the 530i's exhaust system is designed to be quiet and relatively restrictive. Replacing the exhaust system from the catalytic converter back (to retain emissions compliance) with a larger-diameter exhaust and free-flow muffler will allow the engine to run better, make more power and sound better. (I notice most people go with rpi and seem pretty happy with the results, I would do this how ever I'm not much of a fan of the loud exhaust noise, currently I'm searching other exhaust mods that still give great gains but no noise... thats just me)

4. Install a supercharger. One of the most effective ways to make a 530i considerably faster is to install a supercharger. While the changes listed above will give incremental increases in power, a supercharger will provide a massive power gain. The supercharger is a compressor located on the intake side of the engine that forces more air into the engine for a large power gain. This is also the most expensive power upgrade that can be performed on a 530i's engine and can run around $10,000 for the parts and installation.

5. Upgrade the suspension and brakes. A faster 530i is not one that simply goes faster in a straight line but one that corners and stops better as well. A stiffer suspension and better brakes are particularly useful on a heavy car like the 530i. Install performance shocks and springs to reduce body roll and then upgrade the brakes with ventilated discs for better heat dissipation and more aggressive pads for shorter stopping distances.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

Coils, brakes and any stiffening adds weight . Its good weight lol but still weight. Get a light weight 18,19 rim paired with a light xl tire. A lighter exhaust will help. take out spare tire, Add LSD or change gearing.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

1. You have the same car I do, so an ECU flash gives ~10-12 HP, plus the usual +torque, +fuel economy, +throttle response - BUT they do cost ~$600
2. Bigger throttle body won't do much at all, it has been said it increases flow by ~8% - not enough to be worth the $800 (Dinan) price tag.
3. RPI provides the biggest REAL boost to HP, again another 10-15, as I recall.
4. SC is not worth the expense IMHO, $10K will put you around 340HP, and an M5 (and a 550 with a decent driver) will still kill you.
5. I have KSports and R! Concepts rotors and Hawk HPS pads, love all of it, got it all from AcutePerformance (member here)
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
1. You have the same car I do, so an ECU flash gives ~10-12 HP, plus the usual +torque, +fuel economy, +throttle response - BUT they do cost ~$600
2. Bigger throttle body won't do much at all, it has been said it increases flow by ~8% - not enough to be worth the $800 (Dinan) price tag.
3. RPI provides the biggest REAL boost to HP, again another 10-15, as I recall.
4. SC is not worth the expense IMHO, $10K will put you around 340HP, and an M5 (and a 550 with a decent driver) will still kill you.
5. I have KSports and R! Concepts rotors and Hawk HPS pads, love all of it, got it all from AcutePerformance (member here)
wow really great advice here are there any others you could add have you tried any of these since we have the same car?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
Coils, brakes and any stiffening adds weight . Its good weight lol but still weight. Get a light weight 18,19 rim paired with a light xl tire. A lighter exhaust will help. take out spare tire, Add LSD or change gearing.
LSD???
Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 528i 6MT, Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation

Originally Posted by spediegunz
LSD???
limited slip differential
Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 535i
Model Year: 09

How bout bms power box?? 8-10 hp n tq
Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

Nice keep em coming ill be searching all suggestions 2nite
Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Oldest technique to improve power:

First, make the car breathe OUT better by upgrading the exhaust.
Then, make the car breathe IN better by upgrading the intake and/or getting that S/C
Last, make the engine COMBUST better with a tune and better internals.

I agree with the previous comment about an S/C. For 10k your car will be unique but will still get beat by just about any other modern V-8 powered car. That's way too much money for just a power adder IMO considering that for a little more than 10k I can swap an entire LS1 drivetrain w/bigger cam and tune into my Camaro which will give me about 500hp at the wheels.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mo858
limited slip differential
Uh no...the actual drug...makes you go faster

Quick Reply: Can she go any faster?