E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Borla for the 545i

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Gray Metallic Sport Package Cold Weather Package Heads-Up Display Sirius Radio Logic7 Audio System Navigation Active Steering Split-Floding Rear Seats Rear Sunshade M5 Spoiler Illuminated Door Sills

Greetings!

Borla came highly recommended by a tuner colleague of mine but after seeing that there was not an application-specific offering from them, i did a little more research. It seems that the inlet size and the overall dimensions of the exhaust are what matters and any decent muffler shop should be able to take care of the custom fitting. I contacted the tech at Borla (name is Harley), and he recommended the Borla ProXS part number 40349. The cost is $159 + the amount for whatever tips you want to have. More information can be found here: http://www.borla.com/proxs/

I asked why they were less expensive and I was told that they produce these in higher quantities because this is the universal line. They also said that the ProXS series and TurboXL series are the same muffler but one is Badged with both the Borla and ProXS logos. Both have the million mile warranty and both are made of the same stainless steel.

Much preferring the Borla sound, I think I may take a shot on ordering one and having it custom fit. Everything is reversable so worst case, I'm out a few bucks and a bit of my time.

If anyone has experience with this implementation or any words of wisdom, I would love to know.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Members

i wonder what it would sound like be careful sound quality should matter =) put some sound clips when u are done with it
Old 08-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Gray Metallic Sport Package Cold Weather Package Heads-Up Display Sirius Radio Logic7 Audio System Navigation Active Steering Split-Floding Rear Seats Rear Sunshade M5 Spoiler Illuminated Door Sills

Originally Posted by qtrII6' date='Aug 24 2005, 01:07 PM
i wonder what it would sound like be careful sound quality should matter =) put some sound clips when u are done with it
[snapback]162918[/snapback]
MOST definitely. Looks like there is a dealer with plenty in stock. I just need to select some tips and get everything shipped to VA. Looking for a shop to do the install now.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

It seems to me that using a "universal" muffler isn't the way to go. While it may fit from a physical size perspective, each engine has unique characteristics with regard to back pressure, etc. so you could end up reducing power...or worse.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' date='Aug 24 2005, 01:58 PM
It seems to me that using a "universal" muffler isn't the way to go.? While it may fit from a physical size perspective, each engine has unique characteristics with regard to back pressure, etc. so you could end up reducing power...or worse.
[snapback]162934[/snapback]
I'm going to see if I can locate CFM data on the various choices out there.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Keep us posted please
Old 08-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Contributors

I've been working with my local shop & Borla and we have determined that the Turbo XL is a better match. I am still awaiting flow data from the various muffler manufacturers but went ahead and ordered the unit. Set for install on Wednesday. If anyone has baseline dyno data for a 2005 545i/6sp, that would be great. Probably won't get to dyno until the beginning of next week as we are getting the remnants of Katrina today and tomorrow and it will be very humid.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Contributors

What a day... Took the car in and it was determined that the only way to make the Borla fit would end up looking bad due to the number of welds and bends. Sorry to say that Borla fans will have to wait for an application-specific model.

In the interest of moving forward in my quest for the perfect after-market exhaust, I have decided to go with an AC Schnitzer, which was ordered today and should arrive by the middle of next week. I will post pics & soundclips after the installation.