E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Attempted to do a M5 mirror install today but ran into a problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

All mirrors are heated.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bruce is the man!! i will be hawking this thread till we get the solution!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='873731' date='May 9 2009, 05:10 PM
I've managed to get my hands on the connectors part numbers 805-187 that I need that will mate into the M5 mirror glasses. They are made by a company called Hirschmann http://www.hirschmann-automotive.com/

I've got a spare switch panel that I will hack to add the Ground signal. Instead of using the OEM auto-fold switch panel I am actually going to use the normal switch panel because I want to add my own switch and with the OEM one I would have to destroy the PCB if I needed to get that working. I just need to find a nice momentary switch now that looks OEM and that can install into the window switch panel.
I've got a ICB2 CAN BUS INTERFACE interface made by a company called SPAL http://www.sempal.co.uk/acatalog/SPAL_CAN_...INTERFACES.html that will give me the lock and unlock signals and the ignition supply voltage.
Bruce,

Are these two extra parts needed? I'm waiting in the mail for my Innoparts module. Any specific reason why you need the other two? is it because you want it to be an OEM plug in solution and use the OEM button? or are you taking apart the OEM button and puttin ur own button there?

Also, With this method, I have the Pre-09/2005 wiring, which is different from yours. Is that easier to tap into the wires or is yours easier? (The post 09/2005 three wire plug)?

Let me know so I can order right away. LOL.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Don't order anything more than the Innoparts SAM module for the moment. Its extremely simple to get the auto-fold to work with just that and a small switch. You may need to open the mirror and get one of the motor wires out because at the moment your mirror has a come ground. But your mirror is easier than the one I have.

Bad news is that your OEM switch panel is completely useless - unless you are very creative and find a way to utilise the OEM fold button to provide you with a momentary Ground signal.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='874393' date='May 10 2009, 05:39 PM
Don't order anything more than the Innoparts SAM module for the moment. Its extremely simple to get the auto-fold to work with just that and a small switch. You may need to open the mirror and get one of the motor wires out because at the moment your mirror has a come ground. But your mirror is easier than the one I have.

Bad news is that your OEM switch panel is completely useless - unless you are very creative and find a way to utilise the OEM fold button to provide you with a momentary Ground signal.
Hmmm kind of like tapping into that Button and cutting it from the original power / source and wiring it up to something else huh? like the innoparts? (There would be a switch in between of course so it can control the folding in and folding out.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Just documenting a theory I have here incase someone else comes across this thread as well.

Basically if you have a mirror on a car without a door module and has 4 wires on the original mirror and want to retrofit M5 mirrors you will not be able to swap them over directly.

Attempted to do a M5 mirror install today but ran into a problem-3_wire.jpg

So you have two options. Transplant everything from your old mirror into your new mirror and loose things like folding, puddle lights, auto dimming etc.

Or

You rewire the mirrors like in the cars with the 3 wires and then reprogram the Body Control Module. So all you need to do is ignore the 4 wires coming from the Body Control Module to the mirror and take the LIN Bus wires from the Driver's side switch panel. And on the passenger's side you disconnect 3 of the wires and reconnect one of the wires to Pin 14 on the Body Control Module.

Hope the pictures make things clearer.

Attempted to do a M5 mirror install today but ran into a problem-4_wire.jpg
Old 01-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Contributors

I spent 16 hours this weekend converting post sep 2005 M5 mirrors to pre Sep 2005 M5 mirrors. Yes it it possible to do this.

In doing this convertion I've come across yet another variant of the mirrors. This is a pre-Sep 2005 mirror with only 1 plug. Basically its a cut down version of the pre-Sep 2005 but without reverse tilt memory and EC glass. However its not just the question of the plugs being missing, the actual mirror motor is different too.

From all the work I've done I can see that 1 plug is for mirror motor, puddle lights and auto fold. 1 plug is for reverse tilt memory and the last plug is for EC glass.

It helps if you have a pre-Sep 2005 mirror with all the functions on it if you intend doing a transplant into a post-Sep 2005 mirror with all functions. I had two sets of mirrors both of which had different features but combined they had everything. So it took a while to figure out the connections etc.

M5 Mirrors are now being prepared to go to its new home and make its new owner proud. I could have just waited for a buyer who had a post Sep 2005 car. But then I would not have learnt so much about our mirrors!