E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Attempted to do a M5 mirror install today but ran into a problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I needed to swap my Hi-Fi tweeters and wanted to perform the extended lights retrofit into the doors so I thought I'd do my M5 mirror retrofit as well but ran into a problem. The WDS does not seem to be much help so I'm wondering if anyone else can help.

I have a Jan 2006 car which I thought was meant to have the 3 wire in a single plug mirror interface but I actually have 4 wires in a single plug. Does anyone know what going on here? The M5 mirrors I have are the post Sept 05 mirrors with 3 wires at the end. So how is this supposed to be plug and play?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Any pics of the harness?

I have Pre 09/2005 but I can try to help. =) Its possible its an extra option on those mirrors.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='838010' date='Apr 6 2009, 07:08 PM
Any pics of the harness?
I can provide a picture but this is probably better.

The mirrors have 4 wires going into a 4 terminal plug.

The mirror wires are

Pin 1 - White
Pin 2 - Red
Pin 3 - Brown
Pin 4 - Green

This plug mates with a socket housing in the door, the wires to that are

Pin 1 - Blue/Yellow
Pin 2 - Yellow/Blue
Pin 3 - Brown/White
Pin 4 - White/Blue

Its the same on both sides.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Interesting maybe they gave you wrong mirrors
Old 04-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Contributors

Its the extra "White" wire on the original mirror that is confusing me. The others are all the same colours. The WDS is completely useless in this area.

Besides ripping open the original mirror to look inside anyone else run into this issue?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='838048' date='Apr 6 2009, 07:59 PM
Its the extra "White" wire on the original mirror that is confusing me. The others are all the same colours. The WDS is completely useless in this area.

Besides ripping open the original mirror to look inside anyone else run into this issue?
Where is the extra white wire going into on the mirror side? I had the 3 plug version, but it should be possible to see if the wires are going into the EC Glass, or the puddle lamp, or to the main mirror housing itself.
My advice would be to plug it in and see if it works.....(worked for me)......But I guess that's not really the answer you are looking for.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Contributors

I didn't want to rip the old mirror apart to see where the white wire was going. But maybe I have to now. Problem is that if the car has four wires then I'll be looking 'something' if I plug a mirror with 3 wires into it.

The funny thing is my original mirror is absolutely basic. It only has the heated glass and the mirror motor ofcourse - so why does it need 4 wires. The M5 mirror on the other hand is fully loaded and uses only 3 wires. I can understand the 3 wire configuration i.e. Ground, +12V and the LIN Bus.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Contributors

OK I think I found it (and I'm probably colour blind as well - or maybe it was just too late and the light was low).

The WDS is wrong but I think my car is a 3rd variant that people have never mentioned here.

Its a car that has the Body Gateway Module but doesn't use the LIN bus for the mirrors.

See picture.

Looks like I'm going to have some M5 mirrors for sale soon! Thank goodness I didn't paint them.

My previous post should have looked like

The mirror wires are

Pin 1 - Green
Pin 2 - Brown
Pin 3 - Red
Pin 4 - White

Pin 1 - White/Blue
Pin 2 - Brown/Yellow
Pin 3 - Yellow/Green
Pin 4 - Blue/Yellow
Attached Thumbnails Attempted to do a M5 mirror install today but ran into a problem-m5mirrornolin.jpg  
Old 04-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='838165' date='Apr 6 2009, 10:04 PM
OK I think I found it (and I'm probably colour blind as well - or maybe it was just too late and the light was low).

The WDS is wrong but I think my car is a 3rd variant that people have never mentioned here.

Its a car that has the Body Gateway Module but doesn't use the LIN bus for the mirrors.
See picture.

Looks like I'm going to have some M5 mirrors for sale soon! Thank goodness I didn't paint them.

My previous post should have looked like

The mirror wires are

Pin 1 - Green
Pin 2 - Brown
Pin 3 - Red
Pin 4 - White

Pin 1 - White/Blue
Pin 2 - Brown/Yellow
Pin 3 - Yellow/Green
Pin 4 - Blue/Yellow
That's interesting Bruce - but what does it mean in laymans terms for the uninitiated among us ? Why are these mirrors no good to you ?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

hey Bruce, is it still possible that you can still use the mirrors for your car? Maybe hacking the harness a bit to make it work?

Quick Reply: Attempted to do a M5 mirror install today but ran into a problem