E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Attempted to do a M5 mirror install today but ran into a problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='839453' date='Apr 7 2009, 04:09 PM
The switch panel is completely useless if you cannot get the car programmed. You cannot even access the switch contacts without completely hacking the board and the switch enclosure.

If you want a cheap way of going this just buy a toggle switch with centre OFF. As mentioned earlier, get the two wires for the motor out of the mirror and into the car. Then wire the two motors in reverse polarity on the switch and supply 12V and Ground to the middle contacts of the switch. Install the switch somewhere and then flick it to fold and flick it down to unfold - SIMPLE.
Ohh. so you dont need a circuit board? just tap wires and that's it? hmmm any diagram? i'm going to try this weekend. =)
Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2003 BMW 530i M sport

cant you make it fold in as you switch the car off and fold back out when you switch it on??
Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by 530iM' post='840781' date='Apr 8 2009, 09:46 PM
cant you make it fold in as you switch the car off and fold back out when you switch it on??
Yes you can.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='839459' date='Apr 7 2009, 09:12 PM
Ohh. so you dont need a circuit board? just tap wires and that's it? hmmm any diagram? i'm going to try this weekend. =)
You don't need a circuit if you are going to monitor this yourself i.e. switch on, wait for the mirrors to finish turning and then switch off. If you forget the last step you will burn your motors completely.

Dual ON-ON
Double Pole, Double Throw = DPDT
A pair of on-on switches which operate together

A DPDT switch can be wired up as a reversing switch for a motor as shown in the diagram.

ON-OFF-ON
DPDT Centre Off
A special version of the standard SPDT switch. It has a third switching position in the centre which is off. This can be very useful for motor control because you have forward, off and reverse positions. Momentary (ON)-OFF-(ON) versions are also available where the switch returns to the central off position when released.

Attempted to do a M5 mirror install today but ran into a problem-reverse.gif
Old 05-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Contributors

OK I'm getting back to this project again now. Its going to be quite a retrofit - not difficult just very involved I guess.

I've managed to get my hands on the connectors part numbers 805-187 that I need that will mate into the M5 mirror glasses. They are made by a company called Hirschmann http://www.hirschmann-automotive.com/

I've got a spare switch panel that I will hack to add the Ground signal. Instead of using the OEM auto-fold switch panel I am actually going to use the normal switch panel because I want to add my own switch and with the OEM one I would have to destroy the PCB if I needed to get that working. I just need to find a nice momentary switch now that looks OEM and that can install into the window switch panel.

I've got the Innopart IP-SAM 1.0 http://innoparts.de/shop/product_info.php?...IP-SAM-1-0.html that will be used for folding and unfolding logic.

I've got a ICB2 CAN BUS INTERFACE interface made by a company called SPAL http://www.sempal.co.uk/acatalog/SPAL_CAN_...INTERFACES.html that will give me the lock and unlock signals and the ignition supply voltage.

I'm going to transplant the motor from my old mirror in the M5 mirror but will add the puddle lights as shown in my DIY http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=65525 and ofcourse will attempt the auto-fold retrofit without programming.

I know now a lot of US guys are going to be watching the progress of this thread!
Old 05-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='873731' date='May 9 2009, 10:10 PM
OK I'm getting back to this project again now. Its going to be quite a retrofit - not difficult just very involved I guess.

I know now a lot of US guys are going to be watching the progress of this thread!
Bruce - After the worldwide success of your (extortionately priced) LCI tail retrofit cables.............Is this going to be another one of your get rich quick schemes !!

Only joking..........Looking forward to seeing you succeed on this retrofit, and I agree I think it's going to be a popular one.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Contributors

This project is all about trying to do what BMW didn't want you to do. Its only when doing this have I discovered a 3rd variant of the mirrors which so far no one ever spoke about. If I could have gotten the mirrors to fold just by getting a software patch and a switch panel, I would have done so. But I don't think that's possible on my car. My car is the new LIN bus variant but where the mirror functions are directly controlled by the body gateway module. The thought did cross my mind of trying to see what would happen if I wired the three wires of the M5 mirrors to the outputs on the body gateway module to see what happens (maybe I will give that a go too) because those pins are free on my car.
Many people who have never bought BMW spares before think I rip them off with my prices. Its only when you got out and start buying each tiny contact at almost ?1.50 each you start realising how it all starts adding up. But I never compromise on the quality of my stuff and if I can help it, never will.

If I ever had to put this idea into production the costs are already up to about ?200 in 3rd party components before I have even started to put anything together. I don't think there is a big market for this feature at that price.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

Goodluck, am interested to see how this turns out because i believe i have the same mirrors as you, mines a 2006 e60 520d m sport, without electric folding mirrors, and i also want the M5 mirrors.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kadafi39' post='873855' date='May 10 2009, 01:08 AM
Goodluck, am interested to see how this turns out because i believe i have the same mirrors as you, mines a 2006 e60 520d m sport, without electric folding mirrors, and i also want the M5 mirrors.
If you have no other feature on your mirror besides heating, then you have the same mirror as mine. In fact I think most of the E60s sold to the company car pools will have the same mirror as mine because those fleet cars are rarely speced with Memory or EC glass.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='874105' date='May 10 2009, 04:50 AM
If you have no other feature on your mirror besides heating, then you have the same mirror as mine. In fact I think most of the E60s sold to the company car pools will have the same mirror as mine because those fleet cars are rarely speced with Memory or EC glass.
Im not even sure if its heated, how would i find out? Yes my car was a company car for over a year before i bought it.

Quick Reply: Attempted to do a M5 mirror install today but ran into a problem