E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Orient Blue 2005 530i E60-Winter Package

I just purchased a 2005 530i and I love it! I got out of a gas-guzzling Chrysler Aspen(Dodge Durango) and I couldn't be happier. However, I'd like a little more volume and bass from my speakers, anyone have any good advice?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't it shocking that with how much these cars cost that the stereo's are basically avg. at best. Take almost any car in that 15K to 25K range and there audio system will be way better then the BMW's. Think they would've fixed this through the years. Bass response is just so nonexistent in both the std. and logic 7. Though better in the logic 7 it isn't great. Bass to me is one thing that really makes a system sound great or sound like crap to the avg. listener.

I'm sure you've seen the Infintiy Basslink sub for the trunk. Though from doing my research the trunks are sealed and insulated to much and the bass barely comes into the cabin. So I'd throw that option out. Next would be a larger box system with a single 12" or dual subs in the trunk. Though your taking up room.

Easiest set up I've seen and what I plan on doing in the future here is with the Earthquake SWS-8 shallow subs. They drop into the existing subs holders under the front seats. Then most people upgrade the amp to run around 125 Watt to 150 Watt RMS to the subs and run a seperate aftermarket amp for the stock speakers (some even purchase the logic 7 speakers(except the subs) to drop in ). I guess it won't pound like mad, but gives the car excellent bass that can shake the car a little. I guess it does an excellent job that if your not a looking for db drags you'll be happy. Plus you lose no trunk space. This set up can be done from anywhere from about $500 to $1000 tops.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='599884' date='Jun 10 2008, 04:05 PM
Isn't it shocking that with how much these cars cost that the stereo's are basically avg. at best. Take almost any car in that 15K to 25K range and there audio system will be way better then the BMW's. Think they would've fixed this through the years. Bass response is just so nonexistent in both the std. and logic 7. Though better in the logic 7 it isn't great. Bass to me is one thing that really makes a system sound great or sound like crap to the avg. listener.

I'm sure you've seen the Infintiy Basslink sub for the trunk. Though from doing my research the trunks are sealed and insulated to much and the bass barely comes into the cabin. So I'd throw that option out. Next would be a larger box system with a single 12" or dual subs in the trunk. Though your taking up room.

Easiest set up I've seen and what I plan on doing in the future here is with the Earthquake SWS-8 shallow subs. They drop into the existing subs holders under the front seats. Then most people upgrade the amp to run around 125 Watt to 150 Watt RMS to the subs and run a seperate aftermarket amp for the stock speakers (some even purchase the logic 7 speakers(except the subs) to drop in ). I guess it won't pound like mad, but gives the car excellent bass that can shake the car a little. I guess it does an excellent job that if your not a looking for db drags you'll be happy. Plus you lose no trunk space. This set up can be done from anywhere from about $500 to $1000 tops.
Wow, thanks a lot. I was conviced the Infinity Basslink sub was the best way to go. You've given me plenty of insight on the whole situation. Greatly appreciated. I'll keep you posted with how it turns out.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

check this out.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealth...php?fit_id=1577

Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?-13756.jpg
Old 06-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by delje08' post='599909' date='Jun 10 2008, 03:31 PM
That JL set up looks nice also. Wonder how the sounds in the cabin???
Old 06-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Senior Members

L7 works for me. I love loud music and its good enough!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

PM FANTASTIC 5 for best prices for audio equipment.

L7 subs suck btw...distorted bass
Old 06-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by alpinewhite' post='600129' date='Jun 10 2008, 08:36 PM
PM FANTASTIC 5 for best prices for audio equipment.

L7 subs suck btw...distorted bass

I totally agree and don't understand it why BMW doesn't match audio quality to there cars performance quality. I'm willing to bet many BMW buyers are also into HiFi audio in the home. So sound does matter. My 1997 Lexus LS 400 stock sound system sounds better then any stock BMW sound system I've ever heard. Your selling 50K plus cars and you have a sound systems that don't even compare to an avg. GM product. Then on top of it they make it a SOB to upgrade. It's like you either go the basic route or you have to go balls to the wall to do anyting. Not much for options in between.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by delje08' post='599909' date='Jun 10 2008, 04:31 PM
Dude, that is sweet, I'm definitely bookmarking that site, thanks!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.
Originally Posted by dennisl2k079200' post='599669' date='Jun 10 2008, 08:28 AM
I just purchased a 2005 530i and I love it! I got out of a gas-guzzling Chrysler Aspen(Dodge Durango) and I couldn't be happier. However, I'd like a little more volume and bass from my speakers, anyone have any good advice?
I did this subwoofer box for someone and they were very happy with it. I assume the JL Audio box in the picture would sound similar to mine since it is mounted sideways and has the same subwoofer as the JL box. The easy upgrade for the E60 is to add a subwoofer. I recommend that you add a subwoofer only. It is also possible to dramatically improve the whole system but it takes much more work than the subwoofer alone would. I am planning a larger post later when I am done but since you asked the question I will give a brief preview of what I am working on. I have the L7 system with CD changer, gateway iPod dock, and Sirius tuner. So far I have not changed the speakers themselves... but I did change how they sound! I used a signal summing sound processor with self EQ time alignment, a line driver, and a high quality ( expensive ) 100x4 amplifier. It is wired to the front door components and the front seat subs. For this car I am going for the enthusiast theme which I carried out by using light weight materials, simple product, and not overdoing the fabrication. Anyway here you go....( PS two free air subs and upgraded front speakers will be added soon but so far the improvement in s/n ratio, image, and staging is night and day from stock to what I have so far.) This car has the best placement of the singer, instruments, and even the drummer all up on stage way above the dash than any other car I have ever done so far.
Attached Thumbnails Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?-1.jpg   Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?-2.jpg   Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?-3.jpg   Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?-4.jpg   Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?-7.jpg  

Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?-8.jpg   Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?-9.jpg   Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?-6.jpg  

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?