E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

+1 for member fantastic5
Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='601022' date='Jun 12 2008, 03:03 AM
+1 for member fantastic5

Does anybody know if I can add a flip up headunit to the little space below the factory cd player while keeping the stock headunit in place?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Members

My Ride: Orient Blue 2005 530i E60-Winter Package

Great work Dreamshop, I'm definitely leaning towards the Infinity Basslink subwoofer route. But I still think the speakers need to be louder. Amps alone won't cut it, right?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

WOW very nice set up
Old 06-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.
Exclamation

Originally Posted by dennisl2k079200' post='601254' date='Jun 12 2008, 09:38 AM
Great work Dreamshop, I'm definitely leaning towards the Infinity Basslink subwoofer route. But I still think the speakers need to be louder. Amps alone won't cut it, right?

The infinity bass link is really not that great. I have done several E60 sub upgrades and I really do recommend a 12" subwoofer and some power to push it. I understand where you are going with the infinity bass link idea but it just is not enough to handle the work of the subwoofer for this car. By the way no matter which way you go I suggest having the amplifier connected to the ignition switch ( green/ white wire at cigarette plug in trunk) rather than using the signal sense feature built into some amps and also in the basslink. As far as the speakers go, the regular hi-fi speakers are easy to amplify since the in dash radio sends a full range 4 channel signal out to them directly. It is not difficult to get the signal from the radio and connect it to an amp. The bummer is that they are only 20 watt speakers. I have not tried a new amp on those hi-fi speakers yet but would suggest upgrading them. On my L7 system it is much more difficult to get the signal since it all comes from the processed and crossed over outputs of the L7 amp. However the L7 speakers are 40 watt aluminum cone drivers and actually sound pretty good when amplified with a high quality amp as you see in my car. Keep in mind though I do intend to install subs in the rear deck and also will be installing 6.5 inch speakers in the front doors. With the sound processor, line driver, and amplifier I have right now connected to the stock speakers it is the equivalent of using race gas in a old beater car. It sounds good now but will be spectacular once the new speakers are in. Also here is a pic of my subwoofer grill for the rear deck subs if you were curious how I am going to put speakers in the shelf.
Attached Thumbnails Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?-10.jpg   Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?-11.jpg   Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?-12.jpg  
Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by thedreamshop' post='601670' date='Jun 12 2008, 11:05 PM
The infinity bass link is really not that great. I have done several E60 sub upgrades and I really do recommend a 12" subwoofer and some power to push it. I understand where you are going with the infinity bass link idea but it just is not enough to handle the work of the subwoofer for this car. By the way no matter which way you go I suggest having the amplifier connected to the ignition switch ( green/ white wire at cigarette plug in trunk) rather than using the signal sense feature built into some amps and also in the basslink. As far as the speakers go, the regular hi-fi speakers are easy to amplify since the in dash radio sends a full range 4 channel signal out to them directly. It is not difficult to get the signal from the radio and connect it to an amp. The bummer is that they are only 20 watt speakers. I have not tried a new amp on those hi-fi speakers yet but would suggest upgrading them. On my L7 system it is much more difficult to get the signal since it all comes from the processed and crossed over outputs of the L7 amp. However the L7 speakers are 40 watt aluminum cone drivers and actually sound pretty good when amplified with a high quality amp as you see in my car. Keep in mind though I do intend to install subs in the rear deck and also will be installing 6.5 inch speakers in the front doors. With the sound processor, line driver, and amplifier I have right now connected to the stock speakers it is the equivalent of using race gas in a old beater car. It sounds good now but will be spectacular once the new speakers are in. Also here is a pic of my subwoofer grill for the rear deck subs if you were curious how I am going to put speakers in the shelf.
Maybe you're right Dream, maybe I should think twice about the Basslink. There's no way it's going to be strong enough to puond through that trunk. I really like the 12" sub and amp idea, do you have any suggestions in that realm? What do you think of the Earthquake SWS-8 shallow subs? Oh and thanks a lot for the amp connection to the ignition switch. I greatly appreciate all your help.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='600139' date='Jun 10 2008, 09:54 PM
I totally agree and don't understand it why BMW doesn't match audio quality to there cars performance quality. I'm willing to bet many BMW buyers are also into HiFi audio in the home. So sound does matter. My 1997 Lexus LS 400 stock sound system sounds better then any stock BMW sound system I've ever heard. Your selling 50K plus cars and you have a sound systems that don't even compare to an avg. GM product. Then on top of it they make it a SOB to upgrade. It's like you either go the basic route or you have to go balls to the wall to do anyting. Not much for options in between.
Sky, I seriously considering ditching the Basslink idea and going with either a 12" sub/amp or the Earthquake SWS-8 shallow subs like you and Dreamshop suggested. Thanks alot for the advice. That JL custom-molded setup is beautiful but they're asking $1000, too rich for my blood. Thanks again!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by thedreamshop' post='601670' date='Jun 12 2008, 08:05 PM
wow this looks like an awesome set up

how much would i be looking at a custom work like this?? i have a pair of 12' kappa perfects but in a regular box, wich really does not look all that good
Old 06-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

Originally Posted by dennisl2k079200' post='599669' date='Jun 10 2008, 11:28 AM
I just purchased a 2005 530i and I love it! I got out of a gas-guzzling Chrysler Aspen(Dodge Durango) and I couldn't be happier. However, I'd like a little more volume and bass from my speakers, anyone have any good advice?
chk my signature
Old 06-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Members

Any pics, please, of the original sub location in the standard set-up?

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for upgrading Audio system?