E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:21 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

You'll then need to grab power from the rear fuse box.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
i think this is like my second post or maybe its third
anyways i have super super keen to learn about how to upgrade all the equipment in the standard stereo
I assume I have the australian standard stereo ( I also have business nav)

I have pulled the passenger seat out and have found the speaker/woofer under the floor.

I am not too phased by using the sws-8 or even the round pioneer subs and then making an adapter.. i will do all the necessary measuring.
I just want some confirmation here if possible.

I just want to make sure this is what I am supposed to do... sorry for the repetition.

1)Remove MASK and tap the rear outputs so I can get line level outputs for the amp input (by line level does this mean if I stick and RCA male end on the wiring that it will be RCA output) Or does line level still mean speaker level, which then means i need an amp with high level input? a little noobish...sorry for that one... still need it answered though. (this is the most confusing part for me)

1.a)Are these PINS 3, 4, 9 & 10 on the 12pin (X13813) bottom right bank of pins on the rear

2)Do I tap the amp remote from the rear of the MASK as well?

2.a)Is the amp remote PIN 13 on the 16pin (X13812) top left bank of pins on the rear?

3)Do I then need to remove the parallel nature of the door to woofer wiring? (could I possibly rewire it to a tweeter for the front door? )

4)Power amp from battery and earth properly?

5)Connect amp output to underseat replacment subs?

6) job done?

Thanks for your time Bruce.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Read http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24171

Questions answered using your numbering. However my pinouts are for the CCC I don't know if on the MASK they are the same or not.

1. At the back of the CCC you get line level output i.e. RCA. So you don't need an amp that takes the speaker level input.

1.a) Read the link attached. Its got a nice pdf and my WDS analysis too.

2)If you are getting to the back of the CCC you might as well take the remote from here too.

2.a) I would ask that you look at the WDS to confirm.

3) Yes but you need to remember that the tweaters and door speakers have a crossover on the Hi-fi option.

4) Yes thats is the best but otherwise you can use the OEM power supply that would power the rear amp in the Hi-Fi set-up. However be warned that its connected to a 30A fuse and may blow if you are a bass junkie.

5) Correct.

6) Enjoy.

Remember I'm trying to get rid of my Brand new Earthquake Focus speaker set. You'll find it in the Classified.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Members

hello, i have some questions too, please tell me if i need to replace the stock amp with a new one if i want to change the woofers under the seats, or i can simply add another amp just for those 2 woofers? i prefer more this option because i dont want problems with the computer of the car, i just want to replace the woofers and add the amp and have no errors on the iDrive.
and for those who changed the woofers under the seet,how it sounds with the stock speekers and new woofers? i should change and all the speekers?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

you and my530i should work for the future F10 development
Old 03-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Members

nobody? ... pls help me
Old 03-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by shtefu1' post='543117' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:45 PM
hello, i have some questions too, please tell me if i need to replace the stock amp with a new one if i want to change the woofers under the seats, or i can simply add another amp just for those 2 woofers? i prefer more this option because i dont want problems with the computer of the car, i just want to replace the woofers and add the amp and have no errors on the iDrive.
and for those who changed the woofers under the seet,how it sounds with the stock speekers and new woofers? i should change and all the speekers?
There is no interaction between the iDrive and the amp/speakers so even if you rip everything out you wont have a problem. Only thing is don't try and run new underseat woofers with the current amp, the sound will be worse. However if you simply change the amp to drive the current underseat woofers you will get a very good result. The problem with the stock amp is its too weak for the job. Just make sure you don't drive the woofers too hard because they can handle only a limited wattage and are bl**dy expensive to replace.

I simply changed my amp and the underseats to Earthquakes and it sounds fantastic... Actually had I known that I could get better sound just by replacing the amp I would have done that, but I bought the Earthquake before the amp. I don't really listen to music very loud but wanted louder bass which I now have.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Members

ok, thank you very much, if there is no errors i am very hapy.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Members

Thanks Bruce for the replies. .
I will sniff that other thread in great detail.
Appreciate it..

I may attempt the addition of an amp to the current woofers and if its horrible then I will just replace the wooders.
Honestly in the standard system I cannot hear the underseat things at all, they hardly move when music is playing, barely feel the vibration.

So anyways, many thanks once again.. i will look into this focal earthquake stuff
Old 03-12-2008, 05:11 AM
Contributors

Bruce, I'm a bit confused about hooking up the new amp. So right now your car doesn't use the original amp at all, which means it can be removed right? and you didn't run wires to the subs, you used the original wires right? Could you show me where you plug in your custom connector you made for the amp? A zoomed out picture of the whole area would really be helpful. I'm planning on doing this mod very very soon. On my previous E60, I just tapped the signals from OEM amp, then ran remote from fuse box, and power right from battery, but this was ADDING 2 more subs. Please help me out. I'm just a bit confused before I start doing all this. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play