E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:16 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='543476' date='Mar 12 2008, 01:11 PM
Bruce, I'm a bit confused about hooking up the new amp. So right now your car doesn't use the original amp at all, which means it can be removed right? and you didn't run wires to the subs, you used the original wires right? Could you show me where you plug in your custom connector you made for the amp? A zoomed out picture of the whole area would really be helpful. I'm planning on doing this mod very very soon. On my previous E60, I just tapped the signals from OEM amp, then ran remote from fuse box, and power right from battery, but this was ADDING 2 more subs. Please help me out. I'm just a bit confused before I start doing all this. Thanks.
I cannot provide any pictures this week because my car is at the bodyshop getting new wheels fitted and repairing some other damage caused. However what you need to do is unplug the big connector from the car's amp and then plug that into your Custom made plug. Yes you can remove the original amp but I just left it in there anyway. Also I did not touch any part of the car's wiring, I simply tapped into all the existing plugs via OEM BMW sockets.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Thats what I thought too, but I just had to make sure. I guess I'll be doing the mod very very soon. You're the man Bruce!!

Ok really last questions, then I'm getting the BMW parts tomorrow, and I'm doing the mod, hopefully this saturday.

On the color coding for the pinout whats "VI"?

Finally, I can't seem to find this part number "61131383502" on www.realoem.com, but I found everything else. The part number is the 20 pin connector. Thanks Bruce!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:47 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='543480' date='Mar 12 2008, 01:23 PM
Nice. Thats what I thought too, but I just had to make sure. I guess I'll be doing the mod very very soon. You're the man Bruce!!

Ok really last questions, then I'm getting the BMW parts tomorrow, and I'm doing the mod, hopefully this saturday.

On the color coding for the pinout whats "VI"?

Finally, I can't seem to find this part number "61131383502" on www.realoem.com, but I found everything else. The part number is the 20 pin connector. Thanks Bruce!
I've updated my first post to make the connections clearer in 'normal' english. I guess VI mean Violet.

BMW have a very weird way of listing parts in your parts catalog. I found the 20pin contector under the Logic 7 amp heading instead of the plugs and sockets.

See Part 5 in this link - Thats the part you want but you don't want the Round receptacle that go with it. Because remember you are actually using a socket to build a plug. http://bmwfans.info/original/E60/Lim/520d-...65/ill-65_1314/
Old 03-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Members

also for anyone with M-ASK
I am starting to think its the same output from the back of the unit.. so all those pins etc in the PDF's that are floating around should all be the same.. I am not attempting this for about a month or so.. so once i do I will confirm 100%. I have the eu standard stereo with the business nav (so no CCC)
Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sanctifyd' post='544506' date='Mar 14 2008, 01:49 AM
also for anyone with M-ASK
I am starting to think its the same output from the back of the unit.. so all those pins etc in the PDF's that are floating around should all be the same.. I am not attempting this for about a month or so.. so once i do I will confirm 100%. I have the eu standard stereo with the business nav (so no CCC)
I'm (hopefully) doing just this on 25th March. I'm worried that my installer will fall at the first hurdle though when the M-ASK comes out and he sees blank holes in the 12 pin plug where the line outs come from and hasn't got the pins to match. Anyone know the kind of pin these use? There's definitely some form of line level output from the unit but I've not yet had 100% confirmation it's a full range signal. Anyway, not wishing to hijack this thread, gonna post some more in a previously hijacked thread

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Members

Bad news I'm afraid. There is no signal coming from these pins on the standard EU radio. Must need programming to enable them. Looks like I'm gonna need a cleansweep or Alpine PXE type solution. Gutted.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 520D M Sport Manual, Media Package, Dakota Grey leather, USB, Folding mirrors, Carbon Black.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='543478' date='Mar 12 2008, 02:16 PM
I cannot provide any pictures this week because my car is at the bodyshop getting new wheels fitted and repairing some other damage caused. However what you need to do is unplug the big connector from the car's amp and then plug that into your Custom made plug. Yes you can remove the original amp but I just left it in there anyway. Also I did not touch any part of the car's wiring, I simply tapped into all the existing plugs via OEM BMW sockets.
Bruce, what did you do with the oem amp? I may have missed something along the way, but did you leave in its mounting? I take it you have ported all wiring from the oem amp to your new amp?
About wiring, is there a reason why you have not used the original wires to the speakers? The wiring bit terrifys me. Not so much the wiring but tempering with the trimmings
Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BigAardvaark' post='550433' date='Mar 25 2008, 02:38 PM
Bad news I'm afraid. There is no signal coming from these pins on the standard EU radio. Must need programming to enable them. Looks like I'm gonna need a cleansweep or Alpine PXE type solution. Gutted.
Went with the Alpine PXE-H650 Imprint unit, a pair of MB Quarts in the front stock locations (parallel with the underseats), 12 inch sub in a custom ported box in the boot, a 50w rms amp for the front speakers and (temporarily) a 100w rms amp for the sub. After a few hours experimenting with the H650 I've got it sounding swwwweeeeet!! I'll drop you a PM Bruce next time I'm down, let you have a listen.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Senior Members

good stuff
Old 05-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio
Thumbs up

Where are the 10 speaker located in the US stock system? Yes I did search.
thanks,
Martin

Quick Reply: Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play