E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 04:21 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

hi guys i have the basic setup with no amp in the boot anybody know which colour wires i need to get a phono and can they be found in the boot?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

No phono and no boot.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

If anyone is interested, the Rockford Fosgate Prime R300-4 fits in the space quite nicely as well.

Just changing the Xetec amp I had in there.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the writeup bruce. I'm new to the forum and E60 (arrives today) and I plan on starting this mod asap. Should be fun!!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
New Members

Sorry to bump an ancient thread - but just got a 2005 535d Touring with Hifi. Would love to hear your opinion/review Bruce on how the stock hifi set up sounds with just the oem tweeters and mids, and the upgraded subs. I'm actually planning to upgrade just the rear amp but keep OEM subs - do you think this is a big improvement in general? The amplifier I have spare is the Kenwood KAC 7404 (http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_p...partno=KAC7404) which is 60W x 4, or I guess I could bridge the connections to get 180W x 2. Do you know the power rating for the stock OEM subs?Would this blow them if listened to within moderation/not crazy? In your opinion would replacing the mids and tweeters improve the sounds much more?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by svesam
Hi,

Gutted is just the beginning of it....
Here it goes....
I?m just in the process of upgrading the standard EU item. It turns out to a real headache....
I?ve opted for the JBL GTO 1004 amp, a pair of GTO 427?s in the roof in the back and a
Audio System X-ion 200 kit in front (2x8" shallowmount underseatsubs and 2x4" mids for the doors an 2xhighs for the doorpost).
Tapped into the speakerlevel cables up front and through a line-level converter to feed the amp.
Just as stated the standard headunit does not send any line level....

So far so good one might think. But hell no....
I get really bad whining noise from the front system. (Pretty much like you got when you installed the first aftermarket amp in your first car and got that sweet whining noise from the generator beacause you tangeled up the powercables with the line cables.... Seperate the cables, problem sorted...)
In this case it turns out that the headunit is impedance-sensitive and since the new kit is 4ohms and the standard setup
is 2ohms the damn thing sends out interference in the system. The unit expect to see 2ohms but instead it gets a line converter = it sends out an interference to let you know that something is wrong.
We tried just about everything to get around this but so far we?ve not been succesful.

The next step this weekend is to install a JL audio Cleansweep. We?ll also work with some resitors to try and fool the thing to believe it sees the 2 ohms required
This is the final step. If that doesn?t do the trick it?s bye bye to this mod, back to stock and forever regret that I didn?t order
the car with logic 7.....

To anyone out there thinking about doing this mod. Think again!!! :thumbsdown:

To be continued...

Bruce,

In relation to the quoted message above, I want to add 2xSWS-8 + amp to my EU standard audio, but should I expect noise if using a hi/low LOC (planning on taking the inputs from the factory sub cables with the 61136901731 pin housing, run that to the amp in the boot, and then run new cables from amp to the new subs)?
If that is due to different resistance detected by the HU once I disconnect the factory subs and power the new subs independently?
I've read the whole thread and I believe you mentioned that by adding tweeters the resistance is restored?
If that's the case I should be good since I went and already replaced all stock mid-ranges with L7 ones and also added L7 tweeters all around (hence the factory subs are now inaudible)

Also, if the stock subs are 6.5" will the 8" quakes fit in the enclosure or a HIFI/Logic 7 sub enclosure is needed?
Old 05-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And another question in relation to the power sockets plug below:

My car doesn't have that plug, do you know what the part number is for the 7 pin plug? Or to which pin should the remote turn-on cable should be connected?
Attached Thumbnails Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play-img_09117.jpg  
Old 07-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Members

hi bruce, quick question,i just got my 06 530i, im also looking to install a whole new system in mine. now like in my 330 i, i completely replaced the whole harmon kardon with pioneer and one 12 in the trunk. could i just completly bypass the factory amp and just wire the system fresh frmo the factory radio like any other system? your install seems pretty good dont get me wrong but it seems pretty complecated. from my experience with upgrading stock systems it always seems better run a completly independant system intead of blending it with the stock system. especially when it comes to the wiring. can you show more pics
Old 07-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Members

Thanks Bruce!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 AM
Contributors

The amplifier shown in this retrofit is now on ebay. I remember this was the longest wait for the project, finding an amplifier with the power that would fit in the boot.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171282863269

Quick Reply: Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play