E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was looking for my amp for the sub under the seat.
i think i have the standard EURO sound package which is:
6 speakers. 2 in front doors, 2 subs under the seats and 2 speakers in the rear

but i thought i had an amp separately running my subs under the seats..

1) But where is it ???- idea was to steal the highlever signal from the OEM amp which is running my subs under the seat.
2) how do i access my rear speakers from the boot? - i wanted to steal the highlever signal from the rear speakers to my non OEM amplifier. (im going to run a 12" SUB in the boot)

i've been reading alot from this forum and i can tell u this is a great forum.

// Residence (sweden)

Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The standard EU system has NO amp. So you will need to get these from the speakers in the rear parcel shelf.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Sapphire

good write up
Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E63, loaded, 6M, Sport, CIC/combox, DIRAC retrofitted.

This is all superb! As a reminder - my car is a 2007 USA 550i with the 10-speaker "hi-fi" system (not Logic7). I now have the Earthquake 8" 2-ohm (BMW) subs on hand... I also found a guy on eBay who is sending me the correct Blaupunkt (016...?) wiring harness with long extension cable so I can send the head unit signal to the trunk. These cables were sold by Blaupunkt as accessories to go with their THA PnP 555 amp - now out of production so I hear... I can either find that amp otherwise or just use any other amps I care to - such as some Alpine V12's I already own.

From digesting all 9 pages of this thread I am inclined to use some sort of an outboard processor to wipe the signal and not have to deal with further programming of the car's MOST bus at the dealer. Good candidates are JL's clean sweep or Alpine's PXE-H650. The Alpine piece seems the best - but I want to do a center channel. With a correct DSP, this would let me have nearly what Logic 7 does... IMHO, lack of speakers in my rear doors is not a deal breaker as they don't likely add much in the way of detail or effect if I can get DSP to send out to 4 good channels plus center.

So, if I get the BSW Stage One kit and have them send me their center channel speaker as an add-on, it should not be too hard to install it and run a wire back to trunk along with the Balupunkt wires...

The question is - does anyone know if the Alpine PXE-H650 can be set to deliver a proper center channel as part of its DSP processing? What I can read of its manual and their website online mentions DSP for sure but not specifically a center channel mode. I want LF, RF, LR, RR and Center (5-channels) plus a sub channel - six in all. I would drive both of my 2-OHM 8" underseat sub drivers in series (equalling 4 OHMS that way) with a single amp channel - the way they are driven now from factory I think....

If the Alpine piece is not able to give me a real DSP center channel - what processor is? Great thread and thanks!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E63, loaded, 6M, Sport, CIC/combox, DIRAC retrofitted.

The JBL MS-8 may be the answer - does aftermarket Logic7...

Originally Posted by djcwardog' post='1038200' date='Oct 22 2009, 12:02 PM
The question is - does anyone know if the Alpine PXE-H650 can be set to deliver a proper center channel as part of its DSP processing? What I can read of its manual and their website online mentions DSP for sure but not specifically a center channel mode. I want LF, RF, LR, RR and Center (5-channels) plus a sub channel - six in all. I would drive both of my 2-OHM 8" underseat sub drivers in series (equalling 4 OHMS that way) with a single amp channel - the way they are driven now from factory I think....

If the Alpine piece is not able to give me a real DSP center channel - what processor is? Great thread and thanks!
I kept searching the web with more generic terms and found the JBL MS-8 as discussed in 2006 in the link here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mo...-processor.html

This post (on Corvette Forum) seems to say that it is STILL (as of Aug 2009) "coming soon..." http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audio-elec...e-and-well.html

And here, asking if still vaporware - apparently so... http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?t=310100

This looks to be of interest so I will pay attention for a release... I just posted up on it here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mo...html#post862089
Old 10-25-2009, 04:56 AM
Members

i've installed my amp and sub but only one thing left. where do i connect the remote for the amp??
i've been thinking. what do u think about the rear lights?

I have the Euro-version without the factory amp!..

some people are mentioning "boot socket".. but where is it.
PS! my english aint that advanced like yours

im desperate
Old 10-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by Residence' post='1039959' date='Oct 25 2009, 12:56 PM
i've installed my amp and sub but only one thing left. where do i connect the remote for the amp??
i've been thinking. what do u think about the rear lights?

I have the Euro-version without the factory amp!..

some people are mentioning "boot socket".. but where is it.
PS! my english aint that advanced like yours

im desperate
In the EU you get the boot socket only if you have the fold down seats. Do you have your rear lights running all the time? - If so then yes you can take it from there. Otherwise look at my thread that shows how I connect a rear power socket or even my rear camera thread.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1040020' date='Oct 25 2009, 10:49 AM
In the EU you get the boot socket only if you have the fold down seats. Do you have your rear lights running all the time? - If so then yes you can take it from there. Otherwise look at my thread that shows how I connect a rear power socket or even my rear camera thread.

i cant find your thread. =(
Old 10-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Members

what do u think about this the bruce ?

I do have fold down seats

basically i just put my remote from my aftermarket amp into where the red or green cable is ?
do i need software to activate the 12V boot/rear sockets ?
i am used to volvo normally where u need software for "everything"

Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Contributors

If you have fold down seat then you should have a lighter socket in the boot. Otherwise, yes just use either of those two socket and your amp will come on when the engine is running because those lighter sockets are T15. If you want the amp to come on even without the engine then you need to use a T30G output, see my reverse camera thread for that.

Quick Reply: Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play