E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ever since i connected my amp, i get a faulty message saying "high drainage battery" or something...
wats wrong??
Old 10-31-2009, 02:23 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

That actually means that your amp (or anything else new that you added) is drawing power even when the car has been switched off. Your remote is not working correctly. This is why I recommend taking the lighter socket as remote because that way you are absolutely sure that the amp is switched off when the car is not running.

You should check that the amp's pilot light is OFF when the engine is not running.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Members

i got a 2005 BMW 530i E60 with stock stereo i want to add a 350W RMS Amp and a 350W RMS Sub

can someone tell me where is the harness in the rear left of the trunk is exactly and what wires with the correct colors to splice and crimp

i need the exact wires and where to put them
Old 11-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2004 Artic silver Alpine 2.150 + Earthquake SSW

Bruce,
Thanks a lot for this plug and play.

I've got the subwoofers from Earthquake and bought a Alpine 2.150 amplifier.
The sounds is excellent!!

I also installed the DENSION 500 but my local dealer doesn't want to do the programming; I'm still working on that

Cheers,
Old 03-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Members

Hi Bruce,

My compliments.
Excellent topic and great detailed writing.

I own a 2007-Jan 525d, manufactured June 2006.

Like a lot others i also am thinking of upgrading my stereo system.

While you guys have a small amp in the back, my system is noting more than 2x 10cm speakers in the doors, 2x 10cm spakers in the rear and 2 woofers under the seat.
The sound is not bad, but terrible !!! I assume there are not many cars with such a bad sound.

I am planning to get the Audio System X-Ion 200 BMW replacement set. This is a set of tweeters, mid-woofers and woofers. All standard replacement without much effort.

I also want to add a 4ch. amplifier for the tweeter / mid woofers in the doors and the woofers under the seat.

I have a Hifonics Eagle 4ch amplifier which i want to use.

Question:

Where can i get the 4ch low signal? Is there any way to get behind the radio system or is there any other place where to connect to?

The alternative would be to convert the speaker signals to low signals with a hi to lo converter.

Please advice.

TIA
Old 04-29-2010, 03:27 AM
Members

hi i have a 2007 5 series e-60 with a rubbish box standard system in it please can anyone advise me where to locate the standard amp as i dont have one in my boot what causes confusion is how are the speakers in the car being run then and i want to find the wires from behind the headunit to connect to a amp to amplify the fron speakers please help anyone thank you
Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Question pertaining to base (Euro) version 6-speaker system:

Does anyone know the color codes on the wires in the under-seat subs? I need to take the existing input and tap into it, to get a high level input for my aftermarket amp, so need to know which is + and - on either side.

I noted earlier in the thread that on a hi-fi equipped car, the relevant wires are:
Black / VI [Line level Left input -ve]
Black / Red [Line level Left input +ve]
Black / Brown [Line level Right input -ve]
Black / White [Line level Right input +ve]

So is it the same as the above, also in the non-hifi car and if yes, what does the VI color code stand for?

Finally, after unplugging that plug from existing sub/speakers, I plan to just leave it alone as I'll be running a fresh set of wires back from the amp to feed the subs. Have any of you experienced that the inline signal to the door speakers is subsequently lost due to the original "sub" plug being unplugged? If yes, what specifically did you do?
Old 12-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

This should help. Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play-eu-std.gif

VI is Violet.

The front speakers can only stop working if the subs are connected in series or if the subs are connected in parallel and disconnecting them makes the resistance rise which is detected by the HU as an error. What you can do is plug in the front tweeters and that should solve the problem.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Members

Old 05-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Members

Bumping this post up.
I`m trying to get line level output from my Hi-fi Proffesional sistem.
i have read the other thread you linked but it`s like i cant believe my eyes i have finally found this, everyone was saying you can only get HIGH level output out of the CCC.
Can anyone please confirm this?

Quick Reply: Adding an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofers - plug and play