E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: What would you do?
Send them back
97.14%
Use spacers
2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

*** Wheel Dilemma. Got them back. Pics inside.***

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by poleposition
Definitely have them redone at no cost to you. And as far as I know, a 20x10 front wont work out so well. I dont know from experience but it ive never heard anyone run a 20x10 front on an E60 M5. While your at it, have them make the rear a 20x10.5 or 11 so you can run a 305 rear. If youre gonna do it, then do it. Just my opinion.

All the best
Spoke to him today. He said I'm measuring the front wrong. He said they are 20x9 instead of 10. He told me to bring it in to show me the right way to measure it. I thought you measure the width edge to edge.

He also said the original picture of the rear wheel (Chrome lip) are 4.5" not 5". If that's the case, I asked for the new barrel with a 3.5" lip on the front and 5" in the rear. I got the 3.5" lip in the front but the back still measures 4.5"

Anyways I'm going to have them fix this problem.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

gl guys let us know the outcome!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

wow
Old 04-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Damn they are stupid. I couldn't make it back to them today. I'm going there tomorrow.

I got off the phone with the guy. He said the new barrel is the same measurements as the old one. He said its because the car is an M5 and its different from my 545i. They have no idea what they are doing over there. They have my old barrel still. We're going to prove him wrong tomorrow. We're going to measure the lip of the new one. Remove the face and bolt it back on the old barrel and measure it again.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
Damn they are stupid. I couldn't make it back to them today. I'm going there tomorrow.

I got off the phone with the guy. He said the new barrel is the same measurements as the old one. He said its because the car is an M5 and its different from my 545i. They have no idea what they are doing over there. They have my old barrel still. We're going to prove him wrong tomorrow. We're going to measure the lip of the new one. Remove the face and bolt it back on the old barrel and measure it again.

this isnt our wheel guy is it?
Old 04-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I guess those are 20X9 fronts...

Wheel width measurement

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1287490724
Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by balbs
I guess those are 20X9 fronts...

Wheel width measurement

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1287490724
Yea I figured that out. Michael at Acute confirmed it.

It's the rear wheels. That's the major problem. They said its the same measurements as the old barrels on my 545i. Clearly they're not the same as you can see the wheel is sunken in. My biggest concern now is if we verify that its different. They will replace it. But they might be assholes and take they're sweet ass time making it. He's trying to convince me that the 545i and M5 rear are different and the wheel are the same measurements.

I should have them (in writing) sign a paper stating if they are not the same. Refund the full amount and I give them back their wheels. Move onto some DPE wheels instead. Don't think they'll go for that though.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
Yeah I meant rebarrelled. They say hoops, so I called them that. I hate waiting. But I guess that's what I'll do.

I'm running the same tips again.

That REALLY scares me if the Donz people are the ones who called them "hoops" first...

Not sure how much, but did you really pay $3k????? You could have easily bought yourself some more official wheels like Work or DPE for that price.

There is some truth in what they said about the M5 being able to fit bigger wheels, BUT the biggest question is what offsets did they make the wheels? Did you ask them to change the offsets too? 20x9 et25 vs 20x9 et15 makes a big difference, almost 1" difference in the fitment. If they know what they are doing, that's something they should have discussed with you too.

Damn.. I should be selling wheels..
Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
That REALLY scares me if the Donz people are the ones who called them "hoops" first...

Not sure how much, but did you really pay $3k????? You could have easily bought yourself some more official wheels like Work or DPE for that price.

There is some truth in what they said about the M5 being able to fit bigger wheels, BUT the biggest question is what offsets did they make the wheels? Did you ask them to change the offsets too? 20x9 et25 vs 20x9 et15 makes a big difference, almost 1" difference in the fitment. If they know what they are doing, that's something they should have discussed with you too.

Damn.. I should be selling wheels..
Exact cost is $2,550. At first it was $2,200. But the wider fronts means they would have to be 3 piece instead of 2. Plus $250 on TPMS. Which he told me $200 first. I asked for a better deal than that. He said he'll take $5 off each TPMS. When I got there to pick them up, he said $250 like that conversation never existed. He says shipping is included. I said fuck it. I just want my wheels. Not exactly $3,000. But I would be willing to dish out extra for something like DPE or something if I had known.

For the fronts. I basically asked for a 1/2" more on the outer lip. Retain the same total size but add the 1/2" on the outside. They said okay. I told them rear must be the same.

What pissed me off was they charged me $20 to mount 1 tire which took about an hour. They didn't even assemble the rest of the wheels. Said its available to be picked up Tuesday. Come Saturday. They didnt even seal the front wheels. (3 piece) Only one wheel was done. Which they charged me to mount the tire. That's like a slap in the face. Charging me when they didn't do anything they said they did. Wasting my time. Took them all day to pickup my wheels. They like put me on hold and worked on other customers or something. While I was waiting an hour for that 1 tire to be mounted. They told me they were sealing the fronts now. I go back there. They didn't even start. It's still in the box. Got there at 10am. Didn't get them til 6:30pm. I was hanging out at Motorcepts most of the day.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

I'd take this whole situation as a sign to get a refund and go with what other people are mentioning....maybe some used DPE, Work, etc.

Either, wish you the best of luck getting this all figured out!

Quick Reply: *** Wheel Dilemma. Got them back. Pics inside.***