E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Xi don't get enough love!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='983144' date='Aug 20 2009, 09:31 AM
Yep, the AFE CAI was installed prior to all the threads about heat soak and loss of power. The Magnaflow trend was kind of started by me and another guy on the west coast. At least I had the ECU Remap to counter all that loss and put it back to stock numbers.
well, at least you did all you could to get it back to stock performance numbers
Old 08-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why there is all this "crying" about xi's not holding their own. I have one, (chipped) and I love it every day. My car can catapult me from any speed I want. IMO xi is the best awd system I have tried. I have had quattro, volvo's awd, Chrysler (crap), Ford, Toyota, and Chevy. Xi is by far the greatest in the snow. The car takes all that crap of clutches, differentials, DTC, etc ... puts it in a very nice little package, and pushes the car forward. There are no whines, no cracks, no clunks ... it just moves. I have driven through 1 winter with Dunlop M3's and I love the xi. I have the sport package and I am happy with the handling for a 4,000lbs car. I wish I had a little more oversteer-on-demand, but I am completely happy with my xi.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mobilejo' post='983096' date='Aug 20 2009, 06:18 AM
We don't have the 535i over here - again BMW see no need for it.

We do have 335i and 335d and seriously, on boards over here people ARE raving about how much ass their tuned 335d kicks, less so the 335i owners. Thats the best comparison we have here as we can't do 535d v 535i.

Also, you miscalulated your torque figures:

tuned 535d = 700nm (516 lb/ft)

I dont know what a tuned 535i putsout, but standard its 332lb/ft and I can't see any software increasing it by nearly 200lb/ft without further mods.

So tuned vs tuned (software only) the i wins on bhp but the d on torque, and thats when things get interesting. Those sorts of situations usually result in the d having better in gear acceleration and quicker when rolling but the i having a quicker 0-60 and higher top speed. In those situations, it really comes down to how you like your power served. All I know is, after having an M3, I am happy for my turbo power and low down torque. Give me a few years and I may want to go the other way again.
I didn't do any calculations, I pulled the numbers directly from DMS themselves, but it still seems I made a boo boo. I didn't realize the numbers listed were stock numbers, not results of the software.

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/models.asp?upid=1

Still, even doing 0-60 in 5.7 seconds after the mod doesn't make the torque situation any better. I realize the 535i isn't available overseas which is why I feel the diesel being a bigger handicap. Maybe I'm living in the old times when diesels were known to be slower despite the increase in torque, but I can't find myself embracing diesel anytime soon. I realize BMW has done a hell of a lot in making diesel and performance coincide, but I just have a feeling that the i will always be better.

The mod I was referring to was the JB3:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3523

Nothing but the chip. I guess my lack of exposure to diesel tells me that it would take alot more than that to get a diesel to do that. This isn't even top speed, this is getting up and going and from what I know, diesels can't rev too high so that seems like a drawback in this situation as well.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

There is not one best or worst method of traction. It is all up to your intended use, and yes, performance cars use AWD, ie. Porsche 911. Let's not knock down one drive system over the other based solely on hearsay or assumptions. This article explains the various advantages and disadvantages of the different drive systems: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...articleId=43847

Personally, I have driven FWD, RWD, and AWD and my current AWD feels more sure footed and more responsive than any of the other drives, in bad or good weather.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.
Wink

I love my car which is the first AW BMW I have ever owned out of a nice list of them..... It gets knocked for being AWD but I laugh at my frends when they are stuck in the snow and I fly on by....hahah
Check it out I think its hot ,lol.... Taking some new pictures this weekend with the ACS diffuser!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi

Originally Posted by krusir' post='981997' date='Aug 19 2009, 09:44 AM
I love my XI. In the skip trip, when pass sierra to Tahoe, just show the checking officer "4 fingers" and I am ready to pass. No chain required, I do keep in mind it only get me going, not stoping power.

I came from 540i sports package. Yes, I still miss sports package riding but I get used to XI height and handling. Few thousands later, when I ready to swap shocks, I am planning to get Koni or Bilstien sports shock. Guess it will be little bit firmer and lower ... I guess I will feel get sports upgrade at that time.

BTW, I have 4 XI OEM RIMS for sale. PM me if you are interested.
What style are your XI OEM rims that you have for sale?
Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi, short shifter, no CDV

Please use PM. I don't want people feel this become sales board.

Some people does not like the height of the xi.... actually I like it. I used to get few "BUMP" or "Scratch" in my 540i when over bump in parking lot and hit curb under front bumper. Now 95% of these problems are gone.... I like XI's height.

I drove 100+ mph on American's loneliest highway. (HWY50 in NV) ... Feel the handling just right, the only worry will be LEOs.

Originally Posted by Joesph530' post='984783' date='Aug 21 2009, 01:09 PM
What style are your XI OEM rims that you have for sale?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport - Visibilty, Media, Logic7, Heated Comfort Seats, too many other extras to list

Originally Posted by E60714' post='984079' date='Aug 21 2009, 02:37 AM
I didn't do any calculations, I pulled the numbers directly from DMS themselves, but it still seems I made a boo boo. I didn't realize the numbers listed were stock numbers, not results of the software.

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/models.asp?upid=1

Still, even doing 0-60 in 5.7 seconds after the mod doesn't make the torque situation any better. I realize the 535i isn't available overseas which is why I feel the diesel being a bigger handicap. Maybe I'm living in the old times when diesels were known to be slower despite the increase in torque, but I can't find myself embracing diesel anytime soon. I realize BMW has done a hell of a lot in making diesel and performance coincide, but I just have a feeling that the i will always be better.

The mod I was referring to was the JB3:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3523

Nothing but the chip. I guess my lack of exposure to diesel tells me that it would take alot more than that to get a diesel to do that. This isn't even top speed, this is getting up and going and from what I know, diesels can't rev too high so that seems like a drawback in this situation as well.
I don't think 0-60 times tell the full story though. Remapped, the diesel is quicker from 30-100 than the petrol, speed from a standing start has never been a plus point ot diesel engines, so we wont see a sub 5 second 0-60 with just the software.

The difference in power delivery results in an interesting race between the 2; a UK BMW car mag had a remapped 335i vs remapped 335d and the petrol hit 100mph at 11.7 and the diesel 11.9 By 110mph the diesel was apparently in front but there were no times quoted for that speed. I don't think you could see that with a single turbo diesel but the bi-turbo set up allows the 535d to rev to 5k and pull hard all the way - no tail off whatsoever. Of course traditionally diesels tend to feel faster at lower revs but with the bi-turbo setup it doesn't drive like a typical diesel.

What I find interesting is that the i would win a traffic light to traffic light race, but the d would most likely have the advantage in a situation where both cars are cruising at say 30/40mph and both drivers floor it to 100 or whatever. The i would take over at top speeds but with these cars we are talking silly speeds anyhow. I know for a fact that my 535d has the drop on my e46 M3 when rolling, but from standstill the M3 shoots off quicker.

Of course regardless of which is quicker, we need diesels over here simply because running a 535i is highly uneconomical if you do any sort of high miles. Having performance that is comparable to the performance petrol variants in a car that can do 40mpg on the motorway is the real pleasure of these new diesels. My M3 was just costing me way too much to fuel.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='984544' date='Aug 21 2009, 10:45 AM
There is not one best or worst method of traction. It is all up to your intended use, and yes, performance cars use AWD, ie. Porsche 911. Let's not knock down one drive system over the other based solely on hearsay or assumptions. This article explains the various advantages and disadvantages of the different drive systems: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...articleId=43847

Personally, I have driven FWD, RWD, and AWD and my current AWD feels more sure footed and more responsive than any of the other drives, in bad or good weather.
This was interesting...particularly this statement "the majority of AWD vehicles use the front wheels primarily and only direct power to the rear wheels when a sensor detects front-wheel slip." I wonder if that's the case with the BMW AWD? You don't ever really get the sense of torque steer that you sometimes feel with a front wheel drive, but it does feel different in the steering.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP' post='984980' date='Aug 21 2009, 08:00 PM
This was interesting...particularly this statement "the majority of AWD vehicles use the front wheels primarily and only direct power to the rear wheels when a sensor detects front-wheel slip." I wonder if that's the case with the BMW AWD? You don't ever really get the sense of torque steer that you sometimes feel with a front wheel drive, but it does feel different in the steering.
I was always under the impression that with the BMW's X-drive that it was the opposite...that the rear wheels were the ones engaged most the time, etc....