E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Xi don't get enough love!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Not too many rims, fewer options when it comes to dropping, no vendors on this site (except for the rare exceptions) run specials for Xi's - and I can go on and on about it...

EDIT: I think the problem stems from BMW themselves - they intentionally do not offer sport suspension on Xi, more than half of their own dealers don't even know that a staggered setup is available for Xi - and those that do, only know of it in theory, most likely. They further make things worse for Xi by raising it's ride height and now giving it the shameful little "X-Drive" badges here and there. In the meantime the technology is good and trusted and proven, not to mention that it basically made the BMW brand available as daily drivers living in colder/wetter climates... and we still get no love WTF?!?!

anyway, here's mine a couple of months ago - had a few more minor things added since, but the idea is there:
Xi don't get enough love!-detailed_01.jpg
Xi don't get enough love!-bugged2.jpg

Post pics of yours (even if you've since sold it, bought an M5 and hooked it up, and even if you bought an M5, sold it and then got a 550 sport )

and don't forget to rant a little about how you wish something was made available to Xi owners (like M166 rims... )
Old 08-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

C? Where are you? Someone is calling!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='981809' date='Aug 19 2009, 10:13 AM
Not too many rims, fewer options when it comes to dropping, no vendors on this site (except for the rare exceptions) run specials for Xi's - and I can go on and on about it...

EDIT: I think the problem stems from BMW themselves - they intentionally do not offer sport suspension on Xi, more than half of their own dealers don't even know that a staggered setup is available for Xi - and those that do, only know of it in theory, most likely. They further make things worse for Xi by raising it's ride height and now giving it the shameful little "X-Drive" badges here and there. In the meantime the technology is good and trusted and proven, not to mention that it basically made the BMW brand available as daily drivers living in colder/wetter climates... and we still get no love WTF?!?!

Kinda obvious really, an AWD vehicle (especially BMW's) is only used when absolutely needed (like in cold/snowy climates).
Sport suspension is just a waste of money on a AWD, because it will be of no use and will only make things worse in the snow.
And ofcourse an Xi is raised! Duh, that's where the AWD comes in, so it will go anywhere!
X-Drive badges, well, yeah, you bought one!

Seems that you have regrets about purchasing an Xi and would rather have an normal RWD.
If you purchase an Xi, you KNOW you get these "drawbacks", so why purchase it at all?!
If you buy an Audi A6 All-road, you get the same drawbacks! (plus that it's ugly )
Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='981831' date='Aug 19 2009, 05:31 AM
Kinda obvious really, an AWD vehicle (especially BMW's) is only used when absolutely needed (like in cold/snowy climates).
Sport suspension is just a waste of money on a AWD, because it will be of no use and will only make things worse in the snow.
And ofcourse an Xi is raised! Duh, that's where the AWD comes in, so it will go anywhere!
X-Drive badges, well, yeah, you bought one!

Seems that you have regrets about purchasing an Xi and would rather have an normal RWD.
If you purchase an Xi, you KNOW you get these "drawbacks", so why purchase it at all?!
If you buy an Audi A6 All-road, you get the same drawbacks! (plus that it's ugly )
dude, my Xi will run CIRCLES around whatever little diesel RWD you've got - rain, snow AND shine And shut it about my Xi badges - my car's debadged.

Maaan, what did I just say?! Xi's just get NO LOVE!!!

EDIT: come to think of it, I used to have an A6 2.7T and it handled like shit - especially compared to the BMW! Used to break too every 5 minutes. And I didn't exactly special order my Xi - I bought it used and it had everything I wanted in a 5 series (at the time - I didn't realize I'd need the extra 100-150 horses - not until a few months into ownership) it just happened to be an Xi - it was a compromise for me and I still don't regret buying it.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='981836' date='Aug 19 2009, 11:45 AM
dude, my Xi will run CIRCLES around whatever little diesel RWD you've got - rain, snow AND shine And shut it about my Xi badges - my car's debadged.

Maaan, what did I just say?! Xi's just get NO LOVE!!!

Dude, chill, I wasn't dissing Xi's, i just said that when you buy an Xi, you know what you're getting.
You said in your first post that you miss some options (like sport suspension, rims, lowered ride, etc...) and i just said WHY that is...

And no, i don't think you'll run circles along my "little diesel"... My "little diesel" keeps up with 545i's up to 100mph, and it has enough torque that i can SLIDE circles around you!
(Oh, and mine isn't exactly original anymore, engine-wise...)

And yeah, i agree, Audi's suck
Old 08-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530i Premium and Cold Weather Package Orient Blue, Tan Interior

Man, I didn't know one of the options that come standard with the xi was a RWD option envy complex! Jk dude
Old 08-19-2009, 03:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Originally Posted by SCardamon' post='981845' date='Aug 19 2009, 05:45 AM
Man, I didn't know one of the options that come standard with the xi was a RWD option envy complex! Jk dude
Yeah, I'm there too unfortunately Has anybody actually determined if there is anything physically preventing the retrofit of the sport suspension components? I kind of like the crisp feel of the car, and don't have concerns about snow, so that would be the best of both worlds. Here she is (in need of some interior detailing...)

Xi don't get enough love!-exterior.jpg Xi don't get enough love!-interior.jpg
Old 08-19-2009, 04:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

The Xi is about winter weather/wet weather traction and not about ultimate dry weather performance. Hence the non-sport suspension and higher ride height.

Vlad, if you want more performance (and I know you do), it's time for a CPO 535 or 550.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:21 AM
Contributors

IMHO, an Xi is a comfortable, stable driver that properly equipped can handle adverse [not just snow] weather conditions quite well. Of course, RWD BMWs are OK when similarly equipped but AWD offers some traction-advantages.

For those who dis AWD ... I read that BMW will discontinue 4-wheel brakes in their high performance models!

Seriously, seems that as a marketing plus, additional models will become available with AWD in the near future.

Except for wheels and suspension pieces, most mods and add-ons are suitable for Xi's. And if lowered and debadged, it's virtually impossible to tell them apart from their siblings. Fuel economy is reduced 1-3 mpg by the extra drive-train drag - but who in the heck spends $50K+ for a car and then moans about spending an extra $5 to fill 'er up!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tonymac' post='981821' date='Aug 19 2009, 03:09 AM
C? Where are you? Someone is calling!!!
I love my xi. It drives great in the colorado mountains, winter & summer.
Attached Thumbnails Xi don't get enough love!-img_2585.jpg