E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

worst day of my life

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by umnitza
EDIT:
Airbags not deploying is kind of disconcerting on an accident like that. I'd be more concerned to see if the airbag sensors were triggered and the airbags didn't deploy. If they didn't trigger, why not? it looks like an accident strong enough to trigger.
Actually, the airbags worked just like they were intended. No matter what it looks like to us the airbag sensors recognized that the impact was below the threshold necessary to deploy the bags. The airbags were not deployed and the driver was not injured. The crush zones and seat belt did their jobs. Thumbs up to BMW's design for protecting the driver in this crash.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

I'm thinking the airbags didn't deploy because there was little to no impact on the bumper (sensors sit just behind the bumper, below the headlights). Pretty much how it works on all cars with front airbags. From the pics, the impact was just above the bumper where all the expensive plastic, lights, and hood sheetmetal rests.

I'm guessing that if there were enough force to the accident, the front bumper would eventually hit something underneath the car in front, thus deploying the airbag.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

I have one more suggestion for you. Have the auto body shop (and Ins. Co.) pay for a standard check from your BMW dealer. The dealer can check pretty quickly, your wheel alignment, your front suspension, new cooling system, new headlight alignement and any frame repairs. They will provide a hopefully unbiased opinion of whether the repairs were done correctly.
I had one done for the peace of mind that what looked good after my accident also checked out OK. Body shop was direct billed by my dealer. (Also good to show saleperson in the future when you do a trade-in. Get lots of pics as well of work as it progresses.)