E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

worst day of my life

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530i

this has to be the worst feeling ever....especially when its your fault....
guy in front of me slammed on his brakes cause the light turned yellow and i was lookin to change lanes but by the time i looked back straight i didnt have time to brake (and no i wasnt close to him)...and i rammed into him and he rammed into the car in front of him.....my car is...messed up....im so mind fuc*ed idk what to think...i just hope it gets repaired...it was like my baby..

:'(

Old 08-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Yea...things come up much faster than you expect sometimes...but glad your ok and hopefully you'll be back in the car soon. Be careful!
Old 08-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E-60 530I

i am so sorry for ur lose, but to me tht car seems a goner, the engine is definately touched, if not cracked from the looks of it.

the insurance would most likely issue a salvage title for ur car
Old 08-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Wow man. Hopefully everything works out. Your car in the form it is in right now makes me think of Johnny 5. I'm sick for you
Old 08-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Contributors

I swear this almost happened to me the other day but I braked just in time. I was driving down the service road and looking to switch lanes, when i looked back the car in front of me had braked sharply to turn into a parking lot, slammed my brakes and slowed down enough to avoid a collision but it was a close call. I was shaking.

I'm so sorry to hear that happened I can see you put a lot of work into your car and you really were passionate about it. I hope you can get it fixed and if not maybe you can use the insurance money for an LCI?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

As bad as that is, you are blessed to be uninjured. Last year on July 5 while riding my triathlon bike, I was hit by a car going 55 mph. I flew 25 feet down the road. They stopped traffic to work on me in the middle of the road. The impact knocked me unconscious, broke my back, tailbone, my left leg in two places with a bone sticking out, tore ligaments in groin, my leg, and my left foot plus a bunch of other bad stuff. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and had my foot reconstructed. The night before my second operation they discovered that I had developed life threatening deep vein thrombosis. I was off work for 7 months and I have been in twice a week physical therapy for over a year. I have painful permanent injuries. I am 3/4" shorter, with daily upper back pain, lower back pain. A chunk of calf is missing. I can no longer run or walk normally. My foot hurts, my knee hurts, and my hip hurts. The veins and lymph nodes in my leg are permanently damaged and I have to wear support hose and take blood thinner for the rest of my life. Trust me when I say that your accident is not that bad in the overall scheme of things. It could have been a lot worse.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be close to totalling it but not quite there. I had nearly the EXACT same situation only a bit less severe. Only I was the one hit from behind and then that pushed me into the car in front of me. My front end damage alone was 11000 and it wasnt nearly as bad as that. The cost is high for the xenonxs- 1100 each side alone, airbag is 1000 if that went off. So your at 3000 parts from those simple three things.

Then the front subframe is aluminum held with glued rivets-this cant be "shaped back" and has to be replaced and built from scratch and you need to be careful to go somewhere bmw uses as there are limited shops that have the technology to glue rivets to aluminum properly?

Basically your bumper and hood are goners and all the stuff underneat, the airducts,, radiators times 2, all the piping and hoses. And your engine almost surely got rammed--

Actually come to think of it I didnt even have any engine involvement but I did have some mild aluminum frame repair.

You are looking at a 20k repair bill so it will be close depending on the value of your car.. But atleast 20k-hope your insurance is good! I lucked out and my didnt go up since it wasnt my fault--you will get killed on rates as they pay ou tbig for you and the car you hit.. Hope the guy doesnt have medical bills that your insurance has to pay-youll be raped on insurance rates.

car took 3 months to repair cause only one guy in the city did the e60 repairs on the front end. Was miserablely in a hydia sonata (older one)--for 3 months--horrible!

I would push to have it considered totalled--even when they "fix" everything--years later you will continue to probably find problems. For example I had an idler pulley that was crooked a year later that I never noticed that looked like it got bumped a bit and that was without clear damage entering the engine bay-with yours who knows what interal engine parts moved or are out of alignment.

Sorry man that really sucks-cars come up on you so quick--hang in there but you may get a brand new 535 out of the deal!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're safe and no one was injured.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

good time to get the mtech at least
Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont take this the wrong way but if it is totalled and you get a sweet new ride can I have first dibs on your carbon fiber trim it looks great!

Quick Reply: worst day of my life