E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

worst day of my life

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unibody is the frame-

Also they are not telling you the whole story or you better make sure they realize what they are talking about.

the 5 and 6 series (e60) have steel unibody frame with aluminum front end and aluminum front and rear subframes.

The aluminum front end is not welded, it is glued together by special aluminum bolts and rivets.

It cannot be "bent" back into shape as steel can, it literaly has to be completely removed and replaced by new parts as the strength is gone once the aluminum bends unlike steel which holds much of the strength even went bent back.

You better make sure they understand this process-seems silly but if it were me...

You definetly have the damge, you can see the areas--look under your hood and you notice all the black metal componenents surrounding teh engine--the frame-is all aluminum pieces held together in this manner.

If done right it is fine-you want to make sure to get an alignment done after you get it repaired forsure--
Old 08-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530i

they said they are replacing these:
Old 08-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Contributors

The original image makes the accident look much worse than that latest picture. Still pretty bad. Good luck again, I hope they can make it as good as new.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool those are them-the aluminum front frame pieces-so you should be good as new. Atleast youll get a new radiator and coolant flush out of the deal The longest part of my car bein fixed was in the end the programming of the car to reset the airbag sensors and reprogram the auto xenon headlights--for some reason they could not program it for days and days-kept erroring on them

While you are in there it may be a good idea to replace some of those lower rubber hoses if you plan to keep the car-is much more expensive to do so if car is all together and those kind of things go over time
Old 08-25-2010, 05:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

at least you weren't texting and drove off a cliff and died. that plastic surgeon guy that made that hills chick look like barbie did just that.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by misal1091
radiator is damaged...cooler is too....fenders were bent.

and to answer the question of what car i will get...IF its totaled...i was thinking of an m3 sedan or 335 with the M sport package..i dont want to move away from bmw

but even if its not totaled...i would be scared driving it after seeing it like this
dont be
Originally Posted by misal1091
it's not totaled!!

if it was i was going to get a new 4 door m3 but im happy as hell its not totaled...just love it too much

now to buy again an RPi scoop, Orion V2, led eyebrow upgrade, k&n air filter, matte black grills, carbon fiber emblem on hood, euro stickers, new G plate
i didnt think it would be.. the fenders are so lightweight its ridiculous. Somehow there designed to absorb the impact in that way, they flex like an accordian. Those two pieces in the pic above do get glued on with some special epoxy that takes like 48 hours to cure ( i believe).. If your body shop does it all right it will look brand new and no one, not even the dealer will be able to tell what happened..the headlights alone are costly. Airbags not going off is a good thing, that would have been a huge mess. Im glad your okay, its traumatic I know to see your car like that. Trust me I know..lol
Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

sorry to hear, i just had some bumper repair and i was pretty sad before it got fixed
Old 08-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Sorry to hear about the accident.

I had a very similar experience with very similar results. Your pics nearly match mine both before and after disassembly.

My total bill was right at $12.5. For my car they ended up taking a full front clip off another car. I made it much easier for them to insure they had all the pieces to replace properly. It's amazing how many different plastic pieces can get demolished on the front end. (needed a new radiator and fans, but didn't touch the block).

My air bag did not go off either. From the looks of your pics (and my car), the bumper didn't take the impact, it was the hood and sheet metal which crumples like paper. If the airbag had gone off, you would probably add another $2-3 k to the cost of the repairs.

Don't be surprised if after they get the car together, you still have to replace the sensors for the airbag (located behind the bumper). When they disconnect the bumper and sensors it can automatically trigger the airbag light. After this happens they need to be replaced (or at least that's what I am told).

The good news is, my car was put back together and looks perfect. Body panels, paint, engine platic all fit perfectly. And the front nose (with the respray got rid of all the rock chips and headlight oxidation). I'm 30k miles later, and absolutely no issues with the vehicle since repairs.

One suggestion....since they have the front of the car already pulled off, have them replace your utility and a/c belt. It's a 5 minute job with the car torn down like that. They will likely do it at no cost if you give them the parts. Having to do it later at a dealership will certainly cost you and extra $300-400...consider it future cost avoidance.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530i

Originally Posted by Ceenit
Sorry to hear about the accident.

I had a very similar experience with very similar results. Your pics nearly match mine both before and after disassembly.

My total bill was right at $12.5. For my car they ended up taking a full front clip off another car. I made it much easier for them to insure they had all the pieces to replace properly. It's amazing how many different plastic pieces can get demolished on the front end. (needed a new radiator and fans, but didn't touch the block).

My air bag did not go off either. From the looks of your pics (and my car), the bumper didn't take the impact, it was the hood and sheet metal which crumples like paper. If the airbag had gone off, you would probably add another $2-3 k to the cost of the repairs.

Don't be surprised if after they get the car together, you still have to replace the sensors for the airbag (located behind the bumper). When they disconnect the bumper and sensors it can automatically trigger the airbag light. After this happens they need to be replaced (or at least that's what I am told).

The good news is, my car was put back together and looks perfect. Body panels, paint, engine platic all fit perfectly. And the front nose (with the respray got rid of all the rock chips and headlight oxidation). I'm 30k miles later, and absolutely no issues with the vehicle since repairs.

One suggestion....since they have the front of the car already pulled off, have them replace your utility and a/c belt. It's a 5 minute job with the car torn down like that. They will likely do it at no cost if you give them the parts. Having to do it later at a dealership will certainly cost you and extra $300-400...consider it future cost avoidance.

crazy man. i'll get them to replace it. thanks for the advice! i feel better about it being repaired now
Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

I don?t know about the unibody issue being replaced. My dad owned a sheet metal company for years and often talked about how dangerous cars are once the frame is ?sprung.? I would always be suspicious about the frame after taking such an impact like that. However, cars are probably different today then from 25+ years ago. There may be stress on the metal unseen...but anyway, glad you are ok!

Quick Reply: worst day of my life