E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield seal cracking off

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
you mean like this lol

Attachment 128959

did mine last month and was a piece of cake.

sorry you're having trouble still. my guess as to why you're having trouble is what's immediately under the glass where you're having trouble tucking it in. something is holding this glass down, and so maybe it's this "something" that is preventing it from fully sealing. here's what i would do... take a small allen wrench (with a 90 degree bend) and with the short end tucked inside run it up and down the window. see if you're able to move it up and down with ease and not have anything underneath stop it. I hope I'm making sense. hope this helps and good luck
my front seal looked exactly like that. i did the rear seal with no trouble at all. it was literally a piece of cake. i was going to use some calipers to see if there is a variance in the depth/width of the channel/groove. something has got to be causing it to not go in. unless its a damn invisible gremlin.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before i purchased an 07 530I cpo, i requested that both front and rear and sunroof seals be replaced otherwise no deal- they looked horrible! I too told the dealer this was unacceptable for a 2 yr old car with 18k miles (bougth in 09) to have poor seals. They replaced without a question. I am in So.FL so i can see if a car sits outside most of the time, the sun will dry them out.. Since the purchase, the car is garaged at home/work. In addition, no issues on the headlamp lenses fading either- very common in So.FL too. So yeah, those seals should be covered no matter what.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by donpb
my front seal looked exactly like that. i did the rear seal with no trouble at all. it was literally a piece of cake. i was going to use some calipers to see if there is a variance in the depth/width of the channel/groove. something has got to be causing it to not go in. unless its a damn invisible gremlin.
Ok folks, I finally got it installed!

I noticed that there was a variance in the width of the channel that the seal goes in to on the driver's side. Then upon careful consideration, I ended up taking a flat blade screw driver and a hammer and lightly tapped the bottom of the seal into the channel starting two inches inward to outward until it decided to slip itself in.