E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield seal cracking off

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I had to replace the back of my windshield since it was cracking a while back. Now the front is cracking from all this 110 degree heat and the last time I washed it a chunk of it came off. How hard is it to replace this, do I need to have the windshield removed completely to get it fixed?, its mostly the top part, the sides are fine, I'll try to take a pic later.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Members

if your car is still under the factory warranty, they will take care of it. I have an appt today to have it done on my 08 535 for the front and back. And no they no not have to take out the window. Try doing a google search, found several threads on this and says it's an easy DYI job
Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

It should be easier then replacing the rear. I believe there is a adhesive on it, but it should tear off without too much issues. Mine got replaced when the windshield got changed and the seal seemed easy to get off.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by tex_phil
I had to replace the back of my windshield since it was cracking a while back. Now the front is cracking from all this 110 degree heat and the last time I washed it a chunk of it came off. How hard is it to replace this, do I need to have the windshield removed completely to get it fixed?, its mostly the top part, the sides are fine, I'll try to take a pic later.
I replaced mine last year. Its not too difficult. No need to remove the glass. I pulled off the old seal from the drivers side, cleaned the top of the windshield and made sure the channel was free off debris. Then I started feeding the new seal into the channel, as I was doing this I applied warm soapy water to the windshield as a lubricant to slide it across. If I had to do this again I might try using a little bit of silicon grease to see how well that works. Take your time. The only problem I had was trying to clip the end part on the windshield. I never did get it to look right, it looks a little funky.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Car is not under warranty, its a 04. How much is the trim to buy, I'm guessing get it from the dealer?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

I think there was a thread made in th DIY forum on this topic with all part numbers.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

mine is pretty much gone also. These cars I swear. I gotta a creak in the rear passenger floor also. Sheesh
Old 08-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

Recently had my windshield replaced with OEM product by Safelite. The top rubber molding was replaced but the bottom was not. According to the tech, the top part came with the windshield from the dealer but not the bottom. Thought it was strange.

As for weird noises, I'm getting a odd noise somewhere near the top. Finally figured it out, it only happens when sunroof in the lift up position. One of the flap raises up and hit against the glass of the roof. Will have to take a look at it this coming weekend assuming is loose.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Members

Just got back from the dealership to have mine done, looks so much better!!

The dealership called a glass company to do it, so I would call the local dealership to see who they use, or check around and might save some money and a headache going straight to an auto glass company.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Members

The molding on my car went as well. So glad I got it covered under warranty before I had to do it myself.

Quick Reply: Windshield seal cracking off