E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why not use oil additives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530xi

Originally Posted by paran
I'm not aware of any people having engine failure caused by using off-the-shelf synthetic oil . Leaking seals/gaskets; yes! But those are not related to the engine oil.

I think you want to use additives
, so go ahead and purchase some ZDDP and dump it in there. You will have greater engine protection but you may also negatively affect the catalytic converter depending upon how much ZDDP is added.

I'm not sure how you have pos or neg results from oil additives without laboratory analysis. I guess you could claim the MPG's change (a little) but you're not going to notice any change in performance, and will certainly not be able to tell if you're engine is wearing at a lower rate.

Change your oil at 5K miles with an LL-01 spec'd product, Mann or Hengst oil filters, and possibly add a magnetic oil drain plug. Start using those "savings" for the future engine gasket replacements that are sure to arrive.
You seem to be doing a lot of assuming (you know what they say about assuming, don't you?), and not doing any backing up your claims with research, which in turn, does neither you, nor any of us, any favors.

What one should do, is do some empirical research. Start doing UOAs - then you can find out how long you should go between oil changes (not to mention how your engine is wearing) - I've found that the condition of modern oils, holds up quite well extending beyond 5k miles - at least from an additive package standpoint. it's to the point now where I change my filter more often than I change my oil. My e60 claims to have 6k of life left on the oil, and I plan on sending out a sample to blackstone to see how the oil looks at the recommended interval. If necessary, I will adjust from there.

This is worth a look:
Top 7 Urban Legends About Motor Oil
Old 04-29-2013, 03:27 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k
You seem to be doing a lot of assuming (you know what they say about assuming, don't you?), and not doing any backing up your claims with research, which in turn, does neither you, nor any of us, any favors.

What one should do, is do some empirical research. Start doing UOAs - then you can find out how long you should go between oil changes (not to mention how your engine is wearing) - I've found that the condition of modern oils, holds up quite well extending beyond 5k miles - at least from an additive package standpoint. it's to the point now where I change my filter more often than I change my oil. My e60 claims to have 6k of life left on the oil, and I plan on sending out a sample to blackstone to see how the oil looks at the recommended interval. If necessary, I will adjust from there.

This is worth a look:
Top 7 Urban Legends About Motor Oil

Go for it! You've answered your initial post.

Like I stated, you want to add oil additives; so go for it!

Just watch your ZDDP levels.

Change your oil at 5K, or stick with the 15K, and make sure you're using LL-01 oil.

I'm not sure what else what you want to hear.

Mann, Hengst, BMW oil filters.

That's about it.

If you want to add some snake oil (beyond ZDDP) ; go for it!