E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why not use oil additives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:03 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by dolfan13
ZDDP is zinc which is bad for human consumption and everything else.Almost nothing can replace it on flat tappit older American Muscle.I tried everything on worn valve seals.......until replacement.If not to bad maybe try Red Line oil which is ester based and in itself is used as a seal sweller in full synthetics.
Zinc is an essential trace element for humans, animals and plants. It is vital for many biological functions and plays a crucial role in more than 300 enzymes in the human body. The adult body contains about 2-3 grams of zinc. Zinc is found in all parts of the body: it is in organs, tissues, bones, fluids and cells. Muscles and bones contain most of the body’s zinc (90%). Particularly high concentrations of zinc are in the prostate gland and semen.

In motor oil, zinc is a self sacrificing element that reduces engine wear. It works incredibly well, but it is "self sacrificing", meaning that some of it ends up coming out of the exhaust pipe.

That's where the Green's go crazy! There is ZERO evidence that ZDDP does any harm to the environment but you'll never convince a fanatic about that.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 AM
Members

^^I don't disagree with you on the zinc I should have said the EPA says.LOL!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by paran
Zinc is an essential trace element for humans, animals and plants. It is vital for many biological functions and plays a crucial role in more than 300 enzymes in the human body. The adult body contains about 2-3 grams of zinc. Zinc is found in all parts of the body: it is in organs, tissues, bones, fluids and cells. Muscles and bones contain most of the body’s zinc (90%). Particularly high concentrations of zinc are in the prostate gland and semen.
I agree with you on this one but, If you're going to plagiarize at least list your source.
I've noticed for a while now...copy/paste, copy/paste. Anything that supports your view you provide but you never give evidence of an opposing side.

Zinc | Zinc Benefits, Uses, Facts, Events & Programs | IZA | International Zinc Association
Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I agree with you on this one but, If you're going to plagiarize at least list your source.
I've noticed for a while now...copy/paste, copy/paste. Anything that supports your view you provide but you never give evidence of an opposing side.

Zinc | Zinc Benefits, Uses, Facts, Events & Programs | IZA | International Zinc Association
You remind me of my daughters when they were young teenagers.

Whining, complaining, self-centered, and prissy.

Now go to the mirror, and slap yourself about the head, so you can "snap out of it".

Grow some balls, and conduct yourself like a man. Provided that is your gender of choice.

Your constant complaining about other posters while you contribute next to nothing is highly annoying and nonproductive.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 AM
New Members

SInce a a cam over bucket type of overhead Cam engine is very similar (in cam profile and interaction with the lifter/bucket) to an old school flat tappet OHV engine, I always use high ZDDP oils in my DOHC engines.

BMW and all other manufacturers are under extreme scrutiny to make sure emissions are very low on their lineups. Car maunfacturers are never going to recommend high ZDDP oils because of possibly elevated emissions levels. Remember that when you see manufacturers recommendations.

Personally, I love Rotella T-Syn (also called T6) for any engine that calls for a 5W30, 10W30, 0W40. The Rotella is a 5W40; I used it in a 500 HP twin turbo g35 for years, and I used to send my oil out for analysis at each oil change. My wear levels were outstanding....actually better than stock G35/350z engines (VQ35DE.)
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by QuadCam
SInce a a cam over bucket type of overhead Cam engine is very similar (in cam profile and interaction with the lifter/bucket) to an old school flat tappet OHV engine, I always use high ZDDP oils in my DOHC engines.

BMW and all other manufacturers are under extreme scrutiny to make sure emissions are very low on their lineups. Car maunfacturers are never going to recommend high ZDDP oils because of possibly elevated emissions levels. Remember that when you see manufacturers recommendations.

Personally, I love Rotella T-Syn (also called T6) for any engine that calls for a 5W30, 10W30, 0W40. The Rotella is a 5W40; I used it in a 500 HP twin turbo g35 for years, and I used to send my oil out for analysis at each oil change. My wear levels were outstanding....actually better than stock G35/350z engines (VQ35DE.)
I think you've nailed it!

"Government" plays a huge role in automotive design/engineering; be it the USA or Europe.

Shell offers great motor oils under its Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Shell brand names.

But like any other marketer/manufacturer, they offer a full line of products, of which some are really good, and others are pretty poor (depending upon your environmental position).

HTHS and ZDDP, are a couple of "objective" measures that one can use in cutting through the marketing hype.

If you're Pro: "Engine Wear Protection"; then high levels of ZDDP/HTHS are for you.

If you're Pro: "Save the Planet", then low levels of ZDDP/HTHS are for you.

Like any good mfg'r/marketer, Shell, Exxon/Mobil, BP/Castrol, etc has a product for you.

Last edited by paran; 04-11-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:44 PM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

Originally Posted by AchtungE60

How is it that every one of your posts reminds me of this;

Last edited by Gatriel; 04-12-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Members

I have purchased ZDDP aditive product at NHRA street rod nats in the past.I used it in an old Pontiac motor but it wont help wear factor of valve seals.By the way on another subject I have modified my stock thermostat to run 95c instead of the stock 105c.Long,long thread on bimmerfest about engine temps.discussing this issue.After researching I found the e39 tstat mod and decided to go in this direction to extend seal life.I have had the engine out and replaced every darn seal in it.I dont know if this will help or harm anything and after 5000 miles running this temp I am now waiting on my UOA from blackstone.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:11 PM
New Members

I hear what each and everyone of you are saying, and up until a couple of weeks ago would never have possesed the thought of using oil additives. However, since as I mentioned earlier, basicalliy EVERYONE one here are having engine problems, it led me to ask the question of engine treatment/oil additives. Has anyone on here used them and had good or bad results?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:26 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by MACKMARC545
I hear what each and everyone of you are saying, and up until a couple of weeks ago would never have possesed the thought of using oil additives. However, since as I mentioned earlier, basicalliy EVERYONE one here are having engine problems, it led me to ask the question of engine treatment/oil additives. Has anyone on here used them and had good or bad results?
I'm not aware of any people having engine failure caused by using off-the-shelf synthetic oil . Leaking seals/gaskets; yes! But those are not related to the engine oil.

I think you want to use additives, so go ahead and purchase some ZDDP and dump it in there. You will have greater engine protection but you may also negatively affect the catalytic converter depending upon how much ZDDP is added.

I'm not sure how you have pos or neg results from oil additives without laboratory analysis. I guess you could claim the MPG's change (a little) but you're not going to notice any change in performance, and will certainly not be able to tell if you're engine is wearing at a lower rate.

Change your oil at 5K miles with an LL-01 spec'd product, Mann or Hengst oil filters, and possibly add a magnetic oil drain plug. Start using those "savings" for the future engine gasket replacements that are sure to arrive.

Quick Reply: Why not use oil additives?