E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not use oil additives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not use oil additives?

Hey Guys, how's it going? I'm wondering, with all of the engine issues that we have with our E60's, why not use a oil additive such as LUCAS or STP? Would they help or harm the engine(particularly the V8's). I'm asking because I was seriously considering using the LUCAS which I have used in other cars, with excellent results, and figured, "why Not?". Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:44 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

I do NOT believe BMW recommends any oil additives.
If proper/adequate oil is used, there is no need to add any other additives.

What's proper/adequate? Refer to your car manufacturer's website/manual.

For example, I am using Mobil1 0W-40 and I change oil every 6K miles. IMHO, no need [for me] to add any potions. The oil I am using provides everything I expect from engine oil.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by MACKMARC545
Hey Guys, how's it going? I'm wondering, with all of the engine issues that we have with our E60's, why not use a oil additive such as LUCAS or STP? Would they help or harm the engine(particularly the V8's). I'm asking because I was seriously considering using the LUCAS which I have used in other cars, with excellent results, and figured, "why Not?". Thanks!

I agree. I'm gonna try something for the leaky valve seals, as soon as I get it back from the Indy. It certainly won't hurt anything.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Contributors

Exclamation Oil additives Y or N

Originally Posted by pcb5
I agree. I'm gonna try something for the leaky valve seals, as soon as I get it back from the Indy. It certainly won't hurt anything.
If you had posed this question and received the answer 20 years ago ... or even just 10 years ago I'd reply, "Why not give it a try?!?"

Today, however, I'd say that the additive package in BMW's (Castrol??) oils and the oils manufactured by other reputable companies (Mobil1 etc) are very complete. HOWEVER, IMHO no oil additive can correct a mechanical defect or flaw! At best, they will temporarily mask the symptoms of the flaw (swell seals, etc) that could in fact cause more problems later when things that were failing actually fail.

Please understand I am NOT a trained engineer with degrees in Metallurgy, Chemistry, etc. But I do read information produced by trained engineers - not the marketing folks working for the additive sellers.

My remarks are NOT intended to be about all additives - some may work better for fuel delivery issues, etc in event Top Tier gasoline is not readily available or used regularly.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

^ Well said Sir !!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 AM
New Members

Yeah, I would only use something if there were a problem. I don't have to add anything to my Dodge Cummins, or my Camry, or the wife's mini van. And, like stated above its a patch until you can afford to fix the problem correctly...for me it valve seals.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I will not help and will not hurt. I've used in the past on 3 different BMW engines but it's not needed because it doesn't help much. I've used in my bike on the track because it's like a superthick oil and is needed for 13K RPM shfting. Helped with the wet clutch as well. Since I've just switched from the recommended 10W40 to 20W50. I do not use synthetics in the bike. I change every 2.5K-3K mi. most of those are high revs.
I see you're in atlanta, it does get hot in the summers so if you do a lot of driving in the hot weather, try a quart and see how you like it.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

Oil additives would be band-aid for any problems you're seeing, and since BMW explicitly advises against them, I don't see what you hope to achieve by using them. I certainly don't just throw snake oil into my engine, thinking"why not?!"

I've seen some tests (online, yes, don't have a link handy) where Lucas product in particular created aeration in the oil, which is bad.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Oil additives would be band-aid for any problems you're seeing, and since BMW explicitly advises against them, I don't see what you hope to achieve by using them. I certainly don't just throw snake oil into my engine, thinking"why not?!"

I've seen some tests (online, yes, don't have a link handy) where Lucas product in particular created aeration in the oil, which is bad.
I'm wondering why everybody puts so much faith in what BMW advises? If your still under warranty, well of course you want to do what BMW recommends. But this is the only car that I have continuous maintenance on. None of my other vehicles require as much attention as the BMW...mechanical or electrical. Love the car, but I'm not about to claim its a superior product anything else. It's the only engine I've ever had that's gonna have the heads pulled with 118k miles on them...and I've had several vehicles.

Which 5series would anybody consider bulletproof?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM
New Members

Thanks for the reply/insight guys. The reason Brought it up is because, now stay with me guys, Virtually every one on here that has an E60 says the same thing: eventually we all will have issues with valve seals, etc. Now, several people here said that they use proper/adequate oil and more frequent change intervals than what was recommended, but eventually, repairs will be needed. Maybe something is "missing". I havent read anyone on here that mistreats their E60. We all are on top of our maintainance but still experience repairs as though we are negligent! I dont understand, LOL! Thats why I brought this up. Replies please...

Quick Reply: Why not use oil additives?