E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why are European cars better than America?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006 | 03:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by m630' post='370352' date='Dec 22 2006, 04:03 PM
...this is where i think much of the outside world overlooks the issue, most people and families in america have not been here 100 years, most have been here only half that time, and even more for half again, and are first or second generation into schools....as for culture, there is no such thing as american culture really, culture over here is merely that which was brought over from the rest of the world, there are assimilations between cultures, but for the most part families carry on their same traditions that they held to back in europe or asia or the mid east and so on....we are a very young culture in every sense, but our roots are the same as the rest of the world and believe it or not, they are still practiced from this side of the pond, hence why individuals still associate themselves as italian-americans, latin-americans and so on...we are certainly complex, and have a refinement that is not appreciated from a distance.....
Get off your SOAP BOX. The post is about American and European CARS.
cheers
vern
Old 12-23-2006 | 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='370494' date='Dec 23 2006, 06:32 AM
1. Why does that make them "bad cars" automatically? And I bet the average price for a US car is not far off $20k

2. Have you ever driven both back to back on a twisty road? You may be surprised...

I did not mean to imply that they were bad cars. Both are of equal reliability and quality. American cars are a little bigger for bigger wider roads. Although Americans don't know how to use the passing lane on the highway for s**t.

Part two I have driven in France, UK, Germany (the Autobahn), Austria, Spain, Denmark and a few others. All rentals. European roads a smaller but more fun to drive in my opinion. More like driving in small town New England.
Old 12-23-2006 | 06:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vern' post='370500' date='Dec 23 2006, 12:42 PM
Get off your SOAP BOX. The post is about American and European CARS.
And what MAKES them American or European if not history, culture and societal outlook?

Perhaps a wider view IS needed. Even if it's painful.

ABC
Old 12-23-2006 | 06:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='370514' date='Dec 23 2006, 03:27 PM
Americans don't know how to use the passing lane on the highway for s**t.
That's because a fair proportion of them are descended from the Brits.

Howerver, drivers on mainland Europe have passing down to a fine art. Except truck drivers that is.

ABC
Old 12-23-2006 | 07:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='369544' date='Dec 20 2006, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't go that far. Remember Lucas is from the UK (part of Europe)
while geographically its close, the UK definitely has its own flair for doing things...kinda like saying the US and Canada are the same because they are both in North America...close but the subtle differences scream the individual identity...Unfortunately for the UK, in the car world, nobody will forget Lucas

The UK even demonstrates its individuality by being part of the EU but never intending to walk away from the British Pound. Most of my travels in Europe denote the UK as "the island"...
Old 12-23-2006 | 08:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='370397' date='Dec 22 2006, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't knock Skoda... have you ever driven one? They are actually quite good (VW owns them).
If I had to choose I would, without hesitation, take a Skoda over an American car in the same price range (like Chrysler).

You mightn't think it but many of those el-cheapo European cars you mentioned handle very well compared to the el-cheapo (and even the el-expensivo) American equivalents. They mightn't look anything special but try driving a few next time you are in Europe and you might be pleasantly surprised. They have to handle well at brisk speed as our driving style is so much more precise due to our infrastructure.
OK - I agree, but (and this is a BIG but) do these "better handling cars" in the class you note have to be SO DAMN UGLY....I mean the Skoda is seriously FUGLY!!! The KA; the Smart Car; the LADA...they all make me throw up in my mouth. Public transit comes to mind as the best alternative between spending money on one of those cars to get around and buying a bus pass - again though, the EU has superior transit infastructure over the US because of its density...
Old 12-23-2006 | 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='370517' date='Dec 23 2006, 03:42 PM
That's because a fair proportion of them are descended from the Brits.

ABC
You mean they are still confused over whether to overtake on the left or on the right?
Old 12-23-2006 | 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='370552' date='Dec 23 2006, 12:58 PM
You mean they are still confused over whether to overtake on the left or on the right?

I pass on left or right out of sheer necessity. I drive much faster than everyone else around me most of the time, so I have to find my way through the traffic maze every day.

I'm not going to wait for some douche bag to get out of the left lane. Either move it, or I'm going around.
Old 12-23-2006 | 10:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='370552' date='Dec 23 2006, 05:58 PM
The Brits are just confused. They don't understand the idea of defensive or pre-emptive driving - taking into consideration the other cars on the road.

They're in a lane and are gonna stick in it OR overtake at a closing speed of 5mph.

If you can't execute an overtaking manoeuvre safely in 5 seconds DON'T DO IT. And get the BEEP back over as soon as the move is complete.

ABC
Old 12-23-2006 | 03:38 PM
Senior Members

All of you should buy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeremy-Clarkson-Go...y/dp/B000I5X1CG http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeremy-Clarkson-Go...y/dp/B000I5X1CG

Quick Reply: Why are European cars better than America?