E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why are European cars better than America?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006 | 05:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='370677' date='Dec 24 2006, 01:09 AM
The Commander has Quadra-Drive which has a center, rear and front differential lock which means any ONE of the four wheels with traction keeps the vehicle moving forward. And you are correct the $100,000 G500 and equally expensive Hummer H1 (a US Car company) are the only other vehicles other than Jeep that have it. Its not about style and its all about function if you actually take it off road.
Just a slight correction. The Hummer is better than that. It has four independant transaxles. Each axle can be blasted away and as long as one still works it will move.
Old 12-24-2006 | 06:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='370704' date='Dec 24 2006, 06:34 AM
Just to address the off roading question...

The best off road car in the world is not American. Its quite clearly British. The Land Rover Defender and Range Rover are light years ahead of anything that America cares to produce. Theyve been driven through the rainforest and up mountains. Nothing can touch them in terms of off road capability.
I do suggest you watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdqu8GsA6i0...ted&search=

It addresses the diffence in European Vs American cars in terms of engine noise.

Or this:

A review of the most expensive sports car the US has ever made ... Cadillac XLR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgZNj7JcTlM...ted&search=
Seriously buy the DVD (Im not Jeremy Clarkson promoting this just fyi)
I challenge you to say that in any Southern US bar here. See how many limbs you try to walk away with.

When it comes to marketing the original Land Rover has been better sold than the Jeep J-Series Jeeps. Yet today pretty much the origian Jeep design marches on. The first car i evern owned was a Jeep and still have one today. The short wheelbase is key in the Jeep. When driving through Rainforest and tight turning areas the Jeep will out run any Land Rover old or new. There also is the realibility factor. Land Rovers have never run for long without issue then or now. This fact alone has kept me from buying one to this day. You have to also remember that at the end of the day Land Rover is owned by Ford along with Aston Martin and Jaguar. This has done nothing to help any brand. But the Jags are now based on the same frames as other Fords.
Old 12-24-2006 | 06:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='370677' date='Dec 24 2006, 01:09 AM
The Commander has Quadra-Drive which has a center, rear and front differential lock which means any ONE of the four wheels with traction keeps the vehicle moving forward. And you are correct the $100,000 G500 and equally expensive Hummer H1 (a US Car company) are the only other vehicles other than Jeep that have it. Its not about style and its all about function if you actually take it off road.
The G has (and has had for a long time) three locking differentials, live and full floating axles with swivel ball steering knuckles and not the cheap CV boots used in many off road vehicles today. The Commander has horrible IFS that doesn't belong in an off road vehicle. Edit: The Commander also uses a limited slip differential not the better fully locking differential :/Edit The H1 also uses independent suspension but has wonderful portal axles and overcomes many of the independent suspension weaknesses with locking hubs (locking differentials) to lock each wheel. The H1 is still not a great off road vehicle due to it's size. I would rather have a Unimog than an H1 due to it's similar foot print but portal live axles. The Commander is a street car in "trail rated" clothing. The G has superior axles, suspension and underpinnings. The Defender is another capable vehicle but unfortunately no longer sold in the US. The Rangie is no longer an off road vehicle and started not being one in 1989 with the introduction of the limited slip center differential. It's stopped being a true off road vehicle with the P38A. The P38A will still do better than most vehicles on the trail but it's designed more for street or beach use only.
Old 12-24-2006 | 06:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='370735' date='Dec 24 2006, 03:22 PM
The G has (and has had for a long time) three locking differentials, live and full floating axles with swivel ball steering knuckles and not the cheap CV boots used in many off road vehicles today. The Commander has horrible IFS that doesn't belong in an off road vehicle. The H1 also uses independent suspension but has wonderful portal axles and overcomes many of the independent suspension weaknesses with locking hubs (locking differentials) to lock each wheel. The H1 is still not a great off road vehicle due to it's size. I would rather have a Unimog than an H1 due to it's similar foot print but portal live axles. The Commander is a street car in "trail rated" clothing. The G has superior axles, suspension and underpinnings. The Defender is another capable vehicle but unfortunately no longer sold in the US. The Rangie is no longer an off road vehicle and started not being one in 1989 with the introduction of the limited slip center differential. It's stopped being a true off road vehicle with the P38A. The P38A will still do better than most vehicles on the trail but it's designed more for street or beach use only.
Which is the European car? Edit: Ah yes I see it now...

ABC
Old 12-24-2006 | 06:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='370729' date='Dec 24 2006, 10:08 AM
Yet today pretty much the origian Jeep design marches on. The first car i evern owned was a Jeep and still have one today. The short wheelbase is key in the Jeep. When driving through Rainforest and tight turning areas the Jeep will out run any Land Rover old or new. There also is the realibility factor.
Not to get into a pissing contest but the Jeep is only original design in the TJ (now JK). The rest of the line is not original Jeep in any way. The same goes for Land Rover with the Defender. The Defender has the same wheel base as the TJ (JK has longer wheel base). The Jeep TJ and JK (Wrangler) has many admirable qualities that make it a good off road vehicle. And as I've said earlier it's the only off road vehicle the US makes (I don't put the H1, H2 or H3 in that class for a number of reasons). The Jeeps biggest downfall is also a good quality and that's the cheap off the shelf parts used. It makes the vehicle lighter and cheaper to repair. But the Wrangler is no more reliable than a Defender and the Defender has better stock axles than the Wrangler. The stock Defender axles are as strong or stronger than the Dana 44's used in the Rubicon Wrangler. In addition the Defender uses full floating axles. Even if you break an axle shaft on a Defender you can be back on the trail in 15 minutes where the Jeep axle would leave you high and dry unless you had spare parts and time and tools to pull out the C-Clip in the diff to remove the shaft.
Old 12-24-2006 | 06:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='370737' date='Dec 24 2006, 10:29 AM
Which is the European car?

ABC
The G (G500) and Rangie (Range Rover), Defender.
Old 12-24-2006 | 06:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='370738' date='Dec 24 2006, 03:30 PM
Not to get into a pissing contest but...
...it's fun!

ABC
Old 12-24-2006 | 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Do you guys think your E60 is a dependable care. Let's put it a different way? Life on the line - 10,000 mile trek - You had to make a choice? E60 vs Toyota Camry (made in the US) Which one would you choice?
Old 12-24-2006 | 07:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='370747' date='Dec 24 2006, 11:05 AM
Do you guys think your E60 is a dependable care. Let's put it a different way? Life on the line - 10,000 mile trek - You had to make a choice? E60 vs Toyota Camry (made in the US) Which one would you choice?

Depending on how many miles were already on the car. The higher the milage the more I would go with the Camery. Sorry, Acura, Honda, Toyota all make very high milage cars.
Old 12-24-2006 | 07:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='370747' date='Dec 24 2006, 11:05 AM
Being that I also own a Toyota I would pick the E60 if both cars were in similar condition and taken care of equally well.

Quick Reply: Why are European cars better than America?