E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why are European cars better than America?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006 | 12:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='369684' date='Dec 21 2006, 07:19 AM
Here is my take on this issue - and it's one I have spent time pondering as well.
I'm 34 years old, and grew up riding in a myriad of Chrysler, Mercury, Lincoln, Dodge, Chevrolet, etc... automobiles. Most of my young life was spent in large floaty New Yorkers, etc... You get the idea.

As a teenager, my friends were borrowing their dads' old muscle cars and some even had 80s detroit V8 offerings like Mustang GTs and IROC Zs.
The reason I give this background, is because I'm describing -American cars-. The muscle car and the big boat comprise the most identifiable of American driving experiences. They are ours, and if you grew up during a certain time you can appreciate them.

The modern day Corvette probably scared the OP's wife because well... it's wickedly fast. There isn't much in the way of contemporary german offerings that can touch it (aside from the very fastest Porsche automobiles). Those would likely scare her too.
I travel quite a bit for work, and so I get subjected to a lot of rental cars. Even with memberships in #1 Club Gold and Emerald Isle, you get stuck with some real garbage. One bright spot though in my experience has been the Chevy Impala. I find that it is a really competent American car that reminds me of some of the American cars from my youth. I actually like driving it. It made me wonder if other Americans enjoyed driving an -American- car too, rather than an American car trying to mimick a Japanese car or a German car. I think the answer is that our SUVs drive very similarly to the old American passenger car archetype, and is probably one of the reasons they're so darned popular here. They're V8s, and they share some of the same dynamics as the old boats I grew up riding in.

Say what you will about our automotive industry, but we actually do a few things really well. Trucks and SUVs, and performance cars. The GT40, Viper, and Corvette are very capable cars. The $70K Escalade and the lower end Yukon Denali are simply wonderful vehicles to ride in.
Well my memories of the Impala that I rented was that it's white, when I am driving through tracffic agressively people will think I am a Cop and start giving way.
Old 12-22-2006 | 08:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' post='370157' date='Dec 21 2006, 11:01 PM
Lovely, another Europe v US thread!

BTW, I love that quote about being the most sophisticated and getting spit on. Cause and effect I'd say..

...interesting where this thread went, i was only being facetious and responding to the earlier poster on us americans and our lack of sophistication....what i find extremely funny and confusing at the same time is, i dont know what someone means by 'americans'.... nearly everyone here in the US of A is from somewhere else, we are from western europe, eastern europe, asia, australia, north africa, mid east and beyond, so when someone says 'americans' dont know much about anything, that to me is a silly statement....the funny thing is that when people are here in america, we dont even call ourselves americans...my family has been here a few generations, but we'll say we're italian, though we are really americans of italian decent....same thing for anyone else i know...they're irish, or german, or english, or greek or chinese or indian, or so on, and many many people are only here for a short time, so when those outside in the world think about what it means to say 'americans are stupid' or whathave you, that you are really saying the world as a whole is stupid, since americans are everyone from everywhere...last year, someone may have been german, but they moved to the US and are now americans, are they all of a sudden less sophisticated??

just something to ponder in our global community....
Old 12-22-2006 | 10:14 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by m630' post='370304' date='Dec 22 2006, 05:47 PM
...interesting where this thread went, i was only being facetious and responding to the earlier poster on us americans and our lack of sophistication....what i find extremely funny and confusing at the same time is, i dont know what someone means by 'americans'.... nearly everyone here in the US of A is from somewhere else, we are from western europe, eastern europe, asia, australia, north africa, mid east and beyond, so when someone says 'americans' dont know much about anything, that to me is a silly statement....the funny thing is that when people are here in america, we dont even call ourselves americans...my family has been here a few generations, but we'll say we're italian, though we are really americans of italian decent....same thing for anyone else i know...they're irish, or german, or english, or greek or chinese or indian, or so on, and many many people are only here for a short time, so when those outside in the world think about what it means to say 'americans are stupid' or whathave you, that you are really saying the world as a whole is stupid, since americans are everyone from everywhere...last year, someone may have been german, but they moved to the US and are now americans, are they all of a sudden less sophisticated??

How odd. If people living in the USA look back through the generations to describe thier nationality, this suggests a lack of satisfaction with thier current culture.

If we did the same in Europe we would have great fun, we have been invading each other for thousands of years. here in the UK we have a few Celt desendants, plenty from the Romans, Vikings, Gauls, Normans, and that's before the recent historical addition of peoples from the Asian sub-continent. ( The majority of whom actually consider themselves to be British, and they often only have to look back 2 generations to thier arrival.).

I view it as a little sad that somebody who's family has lived in the USA for a hundred years, would not consider themselves 'American'.

To me, an American is somebody who has been brought up and schooled in the American culture and way of life.

Sophistication is a subjective matter, but it is surely judged on current culture not genetic roots.

If asked to describe a nation that is 'sopisticated' - "Complex, refined and Subtle" I would immediately think of Italy, possibly the French and increasingly some parts of Spain. Certainly not the English or the Americans.

But as I say, it is a subjective judgement.
Old 12-22-2006 | 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Santa left today from Lappland in Finland to all over the world!

So no matter where you are from or where you live and if you been good,
my raindeers will not use your chimney as a restroom.

Merry Christmas to all E60 owners and fans.
Old 12-22-2006 | 11:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by m630' post='370304' date='Dec 22 2006, 11:47 AM

Uh... My great grandfather was born in Italy but I do not consider myself Italian. Most Americans consider themselves American first. When we talk about heritage or other ways of giving background, then we might say are from .... whereever. 90% of people in America were born in America .... well maybe 85%. There is a significant difference between "Americans" and people from Europe in culture etc. I bear no resemblence culturally to someone in Italy (as compared to the UK) - maybe genetically but that is about it. You should remember that NY is one small part of the US and the majority of the rest of the country is not nearly so diverse or so mobile from other parts of the world. I grew up in NY (LI) and everyone I knew was "American" and the majority of people I know now are "American" - so to deny that there is an American culture is hogwash.
Old 12-22-2006 | 12:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KAF' post='370319' date='Dec 22 2006, 02:14 PM
I view it as a little sad that somebody who's family has lived in the USA for a hundred years, would not consider themselves 'American'.

To me, an American is somebody who has been brought up and schooled in the American culture and way of life.

Sophistication is a subjective matter, but it is surely judged on current culture not genetic roots.

If asked to describe a nation that is 'sopisticated' - "Complex, refined and Subtle" I would immediately think of Italy, possibly the French and increasingly some parts of Spain. Certainly not the English or the Americans.

But as I say, it is a subjective judgement.
...this is where i think much of the outside world overlooks the issue, most people and families in america have not been here 100 years, most have been here only half that time, and even more for half again, and are first or second generation into schools....as for culture, there is no such thing as american culture really, culture over here is merely that which was brought over from the rest of the world, there are assimilations between cultures, but for the most part families carry on their same traditions that they held to back in europe or asia or the mid east and so on....we are a very young culture in every sense, but our roots are the same as the rest of the world and believe it or not, they are still practiced from this side of the pond, hence why individuals still associate themselves as italian-americans, latin-americans and so on...we are certainly complex, and have a refinement that is not appreciated from a distance.....
Old 12-22-2006 | 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

When it comes to cars I really do not like American machines. Even the refined Caddy's are too contemporary and a three year old Caddy looks like a three year old Caddy. The point I would like to make is that when I spend time in Europe and look at the average person there, I see a lot of crap cars. I see Fiat, VW, Skoda, Peugot, Opel (Euro GM), and Euro Fords. All very small very fuel efficient cars. All cars that would cost less than $20K here in the US.

Although the average American car is still crap in my mind. If I had to choose between the Skoda or a Chrysler. I would choose the Chrysler.

Old 12-22-2006 | 03:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='370387' date='Dec 23 2006, 12:02 AM
Although the average American car is still crap in my mind. If I had to choose between the Skoda or a Chrysler. I would choose the
I wouldn't knock Skoda... have you ever driven one? They are actually quite good (VW owns them).
If I had to choose I would, without hesitation, take a Skoda over an American car in the same price range (like Chrysler).

You mightn't think it but many of those el-cheapo European cars you mentioned handle very well compared to the el-cheapo (and even the el-expensivo) American equivalents. They mightn't look anything special but try driving a few next time you are in Europe and you might be pleasantly surprised. They have to handle well at brisk speed as our driving style is so much more precise due to our infrastructure.
Old 12-23-2006 | 02:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='370387' date='Dec 23 2006, 12:02 AM
[snip]All cars that would cost less than $20K here in the US.

Although the average American car is still crap in my mind. If I had to choose between the Skoda or a Chrysler. I would choose the Chrysler.

1. Why does that make them "bad cars" automatically? And I bet the average price for a US car is not far off $20k

2. Have you ever driven both back to back on a twisty road? You may be surprised...
Old 12-23-2006 | 02:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='370350' date='Dec 22 2006, 08:54 PM
Most Americans consider themselves American first
Don't many of you do all that "swearing allegiance to the flag" stuff? That must "help".

ABC

Quick Reply: Why are European cars better than America?