E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why do parking lights stay on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

Maybe the "safety" issue is to tell you your key is in the ignition? .... From a paranoid New Yorker who would never leave my car like that even for a second. I guess other people have locked garages ......
Old 01-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i SGM Steptronic Dinan CAI Dinan TB GTech Pro RR

Rudy has hit this one exactly.....it's definitely a glitch in system. My light switch is in 'auto' and my keys are in the ignition at night (yes, in my locked, attached garage). Unfortunately my garage is NOT heated so I'm frequently running out in my PJ's at 10 deg. and opening/closing multiple doors to make sure my battery isn't dead in the morning.

Thanks for everyone's response....I'll talk to the dealer about this but it sounds like it's one I'll have to live with.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ipp' post='380093
Maybe the "safety" issue is to tell you your key is in the ignition? .... From a paranoid New Yorker who would never leave my car like that even for a second. I guess other people have locked garages ......
Yes, we have locked garages (and maybe live in safer areas) but if the design of this bug was to remind you that you left your keys in the car, then they have another bug to work out -- the lights only come on after the car's been to sleep. It wouldn't be a very effective reminder if you had to make sure your lights are set to auto, get out of the car, stand there for 16 minutes or so until the car goes to sleep, then open a door that wasn't the driver's just to see the little key "reminder" safety feature... I think it's safe to say that the little gong you hear when you leave your keys in the ignition and open the door is the reminder feature you speak of.

Originally Posted by brandsb' post='380195' date='Jan 18 2007, 03:47 PM
Rudy has hit this one exactly.....it's definitely a glitch in system. My light switch is in 'auto' and my keys are in the ignition at night (yes, in my locked, attached garage).
You got it!

If anyone with newer software (and more spare time than me) feels like trying to duplicate this problem, it would be interesting to see if it's been fixed. I'm not sure if the bug only exists in CCC based (pro navigation) cars or if it's on all of them. Here's the exact steps you need to perform:

1) drive into a parking space that is safe to leave your car unlocked with the keys in the ignition
2) make sure the headlight switch is set to the "A" (automatic) position
3) turn the car off -- do not remove the key from the ignition
4) get out of the car and close the door -- don't touch anything at all on the car
5) let the car go to sleep (look at the amber "P" light on the gear indicator if you have a steptronic or just wait 20 minutes or so)
6) once the car is asleep, open a passenger door (like you're getting something out of the glove box) (I think even opening the trunk will work but I can't remember for sure)
7) the parking lights will turn on if you have the bug -- the lights will go out if you open the driver's door (if you open the driver's door first, I seem to remember that the lights will actually come on then go right off)

It's been a while since I've played with this but I think that's the correct sequence.

Have fun!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:37 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='380286' date='Jan 19 2007, 12:15 AM
It may be fixed in more recent software but it's clearly a bug, not a feature. There is absolutely no connection to this bug and the nordic country's software programming you mentioned. In this case, the parking light bug only shows it's ugly face if the headlight switch is in auto.
OK. I misunderstood the subject. I thought you were talking about the parking lights staying on after the ignition were turned off and key removed. That's the safety feature I was talking about. My mistake...