E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlight Bulb Question: Inner Halogens

Old 04-09-2015, 09:32 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 528i - Everything but Comfort Access & MTech
Model Year: 2009
Default Headlight Bulb Question: Inner Halogens

Probably a stupid question, but here goes!

I have a 09 528i with xenons. I was playing around with coding the LMA module and believe I screwed something up. After spending a bit fixing it, I now have the following notes:

1. angel eyes act as DRLs
2. inner halogen bulbs won't "flash to pass" when I pull the stalk towards me
3. inner halogen bulbs don't come on at all, now
4. xenon lows work as expected when I turn them on
5. xenon highs work as expected when I push the stalk away from me

Now, I initially enabled the "flash to pass" to be with the xenons, and decided I didn't like that option, so I attempted to revert it back. Somehow, I managed to get both halogen inner bulbs stuck on, which I didn't think was right. I would up changing another setting, which resulted in the 5 conditions I just mentioned.

I can't for the life of me remember how it was stock, but, for the 09 LCI 528, aren't the angel eyes on all the time, with the inner halogens acting as DRLs when the xenons are off (parking lights only)? If so, flash to pass should work with the halogen bulbs regardless if the xenons are on or off, right...? I can post a copy of my LMA settings if need be.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:53 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have an 09 (LCI) with adaptive xenon headlights, the inner lights are cornering lights. They are on:
1. For a few seconds whenever you turn your turn signal on. Only the side that is signaling.
2. Moving forward whenever the steering wheel is beyond a certain angle of rotation. Only to the side you are turning.
3. In reverse, both cornering lights illuminate.

They do not function as high beams or flash to pass. You only have your xenon lights to act as low beams, high beams and flash to pass.

It sounds like you are trying to code settings for a pre-lci car.

On my car, the angel eyes were the DRL. I had the option in iDrive to have them on or off.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:38 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by biz77
If you have an 09 (LCI) with adaptive xenon headlights, the inner lights are cornering lights. They are on:
1. For a few seconds whenever you turn your turn signal on. Only the side that is signaling.
2. Moving forward whenever the steering wheel is beyond a certain angle of rotation. Only to the side you are turning.
3. In reverse, both cornering lights illuminate.

They do not function as high beams or flash to pass. You only have your xenon lights to act as low beams, high beams and flash to pass.

It sounds like you are trying to code settings for a pre-lci car.

On my car, the angel eyes were the DRL. I had the option in iDrive to have them on or off.
Thanks! I upgraded to my LCI E60 form a pre-LCI E90, so I'm thinking those options weren't enabled.

So I did go back and fix the xenons via coding. However, now I'm not sure my cornering lights are working at all. I didn't test this while moving, but while parked, neither corner light would turn on when using the turn signal and/or turning the steering wheel (car running), and neither came on when shifting into reverse or while rolling backwards. Do I need to be above a certain speed for them to work? I'll be testing this out as I drive around!

Edit: Driving through my neighborhood at night it seemed that the cornering lights didn't function at all when making slow turns and while in reverse.

Last edited by CertifiedOfficial; 04-10-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

I suggest that you reset the module back to the factory settings and start over.

Password: bmwcoding.com

NCS Expertmode coding DIY.pdf
Old 04-13-2015, 08:24 AM
New Members

^ Thanks! That's exactly what I did last night, and I still couldn't verify if the corner lights are working. I would up doing some searching and discovered the VA_CORNERINGLIGHT option in the CAPPL module. This option was turned off, so I enabled it, but still can't verify the corner lights are working. Maybe I should reset the CAPPL module to the default, too.

What exactly do I need to do to test them, just put the ignition in Start and use the turn signal? Or do I need to be moving and/or have the wheel turned beyond a certain point in one direction?

I'm also going to check the bulbs after I leave work tonight.

Edit: Suppose I needed to check while driving around! They work fine, and the appropriate side comes on if I turn the wheel or activate the turn signal. Shifting into reverse makes both come on, so they're working as they should. No clue why I couldn't see this last night, but whatever.

Last edited by CertifiedOfficial; 04-13-2015 at 07:07 PM.