E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do parking lights stay on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 02:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i SGM Steptronic Dinan CAI Dinan TB GTech Pro RR

This may be an old one but I haven't been able to find it in the search function. Can someone tell me why the parking lights come on and then stay on if any of the non-driver's doors are opened when the car is parked (2004 model). I originally assumed that this was a convenience feature but unless you then open the driver's door, the parking lights are permanently on. I've killed my battery in my garage by grabbing something from the back seat at night and then the system is lit overnight. I now always open and shut the driver's door to turn the lights off after accessing the vehicle via another door but it's a silly process. Any thoughts?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's an old software bug -- they tried fixing it once because early software versions left the headlights on, not just the parking lights -- let me guess, this only happens if you leave the headlight switch set to "auto" with the key in the ignition while the car's been parked for a while...right?

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...ost&p=85283
Old 01-18-2007, 03:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i SGM Steptronic Dinan CAI Dinan TB GTech Pro RR

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='380005' date='Jan 18 2007, 06:59 AM
It's an old software bug -- they tried fixing it once because early software versions left the headlights on, not just the parking lights -- let me guess, this only happens if you leave the headlight switch set to "auto" with the key in the ignition while the car's been parked for a while...right?

Excellent! Once again, absolutely correct description and diagnosis..

Does this mean that an up-level version of the CIP will correct this?
Old 01-18-2007, 03:58 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='380005' date='Jan 18 2007, 12:59 PM

Hmm.. That doesn't sound right. The parking lights are on until you've opened the driver's door. Due to my dealer it's a safety feature if you've stoped along a dark road.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

Originally Posted by ipp' post='380014' date='Jan 18 2007, 07:58 AM
Hmm.. That doesn't sound right. The parking lights are on until you've opened the driver's door. Due to my dealer it's a safety feature if you've stoped along a dark road.
My parking lights stay on as well and they only turn off when I open the driver's side door. I was told the same thing about this being a safety feature.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ipp' post='380014
My parking lights stay on as well and they only turn off when I open the driver's side door. I was told the same thing about this being a safety feature.
There's no safety issue here...

Keep in mind that this bug happens when the headlight switch is in the "auto" postion, not when the parking lights are actually switched on. In other words, if you're stopped on a dark road, you can turn the parking lights on and they'll stay on until the battery dies, regardless of what door is opened, etc.

The software bug we're talking about happens when the the headlight switch is set to auto, the car has been sleeping with the key in the ignition, and a door other than the driver's door is opened. When these conditions are met, the parking lights (or headlights if you have a really old CIP version) come on. The lights will stay on until the driver's door is opened or the battery dies.

I really don't know if this issue has been fixed in newer software versions. It's clearly not yet fixed on my current 20.02 version...
Old 01-18-2007, 07:53 AM
JMB
Members

Originally Posted by GP545iSport' post='380022' date='Jan 18 2007, 02:24 PM
That's not what he is asking. Read carefully:
"Can someone tell me why the parking lights COME ON and then stay on if any of the non-driver's doors are opened when the car is parked" ie. the car is parked and closed, open any of the non-driver's doors, lights (not only inside) turn on, close the door, lights remain on.
This was clearly a bug...
Old 01-18-2007, 08:01 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I don't think it's a bug. Why would BMW not manage to fix this in two years time? And why would the lights switch off only depending on if the drivers door was opened?

In Sweden (and some other nordic countrys) where I am the xenonos are programed to allways go on when you start the car without the switch in 'auto'. That shows it has nothing to do with the 'auto'-mode.

IF it's a bug; it's a bug that became a feature, and I think and hope they'll keep it like it is.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

Originally Posted by JMB' post='380089' date='Jan 18 2007, 11:53 AM
That's not what he is asking. Read carefully:
"Can someone tell me why the parking lights COME ON and then stay on if any of the non-driver's doors are opened when the car is parked" ie. the car is parked and closed, open any of the non-driver's doors, lights (not only inside) turn on, close the door, lights remain on.
This was clearly a bug...
My mistake and apologies.....
Old 01-18-2007, 08:12 AM
ipp
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GP545iSport' post='380096' date='Jan 18 2007, 06:07 PM
My mistake and apologies.....
ditto!

Quick Reply: Why do parking lights stay on?