E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why do BMWs handle better than cars from Mercedes-Benz and Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by mag75' post='890872
i think when we talk overpowered monsters, we are looking at like the AMG C63. when you compare that power to a BMW, we are looking at like an M5. the M5 is closer to an engineering marvel, while the C63 is just a extremely fast car that is far more fun to drive down a straight line. The c63 was built to be FAST. the M5 was built to be a race car in sheeps clothing, granted, an angry sheep, but a sheep none the less
exactly my point

Originally Posted by mag75' post='890886' date='May 26 2009, 06:44 PM
Good point. But as soon as you get down to the C and E classes....nothing is too impressive in my opinion (in terms of speed). I would take a M3 anyday.
I would actually take a C63 AMG over an M3 if C63 came in manual tranny. Of course an M5 over the E63. I would absolutely take a C63 AMG Black Series over ANY M3.

And when people are talking about the car's handling, it's all personal preference and the ability to push the car. I may be able to push a Civic Type R farther than I am able to push an M3 due to the price.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='890875' date='May 26 2009, 04:35 PM
i think when we talk overpowered monsters, we are looking at like the AMG C63. when you compare that power to a BMW, we are looking at like an M5. the M5 is closer to an engineering marvel, while the C63 is just a extremely fast car that is far more fun to drive down a straight line. The c63 was built to be FAST. the M5 was built to be a race car in sheeps clothing, granted, an angry sheep, but a sheep none the less
Why do BMWs handle better than cars from Mercedes-Benz and Audi?-bahhb.jpg
M5
Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='891011' date='May 26 2009, 08:36 PM
which brings us back to:

Old 05-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

I would only like to contribute that the foundations of the BMW company was in aircraft, and that this demands a higher level of engineering, construction, and effort than MB and Audi seem to put into their autos. Tolerances are higher, weight savings/distribution considerations, material composition, and efficiency all go into the brain trust of the engineering "theme" of BMW. Hell, I would bet most of the MB engineers got their starts designing components for motor homes and boats.

Stu
Old 05-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by studavis' post='891224' date='May 27 2009, 12:22 AM
I would only like to contribute that the foundations of the BMW company was in aircraft, and that this demands a higher level of engineering, construction, and effort than MB and Audi seem to put into their autos. Tolerances are higher, weight savings/distribution considerations, material composition, and efficiency all go into the brain trust of the engineering "theme" of BMW. Hell, I would bet most of the MB engineers got their starts designing components for motor homes and boats.

Stu
Stu, M-B's three pointed star means that the company is "to reign in the air, on the water and on land".

As for Audi, you have to dig into the roots of Auto Union, Porsche and so on, but they all - BMW, M-B and Audi have roots in precision engineering. So, between us, bud, that was a bit of a jackass statement you made there ^ but its ok, I won't tell anyone

What is true, however, is the simple fact that BMW is a privately owned car company. M-B and Audi both have "bean counters", as opposed BMW, who simply makes "the ultimate driving machine" and makes a damn successful business out of it. Come to think of it, that's probably one of the primary 2 or 3 reasons I own a BMW. And in case you're wondering, the only other companies that come close in dedication to building great cars are Porsche, Honda (yes, Honda!) and Lotus. That's about it, really - all others are basically just contributing to the economic crisis in one way or another...
Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='890975' date='May 26 2009, 07:01 PM
But what's that list got to do with "handling" ?

A lotus exige handles better than an Audi R8 but the R8 is ahead of it on that list.

Handling != Power

This thread was on handling, which I feel, relies heavily on the strength of engineering. It's about finding a balance between power and handling. That seems to be what gets the higher time on the 'ring. The Elise doesn't have power, atleast not high end power i.e. a high top speed. Isn't there a 4 mile straightaway on the 'ring? I think an M5 would start to dust the Lotus after about two miles due to its high end speed. Then the handling maybe a bit better on a Lotus, but pulling out of the turn the M5 will take it again. That's why the Viper is beating the GT-R. The GT-R is fast, but the American engine in there is for tearing it up in straight-line performance. That's where the balance part comes in.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by E60714' post='891370' date='May 27 2009, 02:12 AM
...That's why the Viper is beating the GT-R. The GT-R is fast, but the American engine in there is for tearing it up in straight-line performance. That's where the balance part comes in.
dude, Viper's 8.4 liters of friggin' internal combustion - that's like borderline external combustion, already! Of course, it beats anything! Its actually too powerful for its own chassis stock, that's why, if you look closely, the actual fastest production car on the 'ring is not really "production" - its a modified version of the Viper. As for that Radikal car, its not really a road car, so I'll go ahead and discount that one from this discussion (unless you guys wanna talk about BMW F1 cars circling the ring...)

Why do BMWs handle better than cars from Mercedes-Benz and Audi?-viper_engine.jpg
Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='890977
this topic was originally a discussion of engineering.
No Look at the subject title. It's about handling, which is about how the car "handles" around corners. A Lotus handles better than an Audi R8, which handles better than any standard road BMW, which handles better than the Viper being referred to that blasted the Nurburgring. Despite this handling hierarchy, the Lotus would come last when up against an R8 and a powerful BMW. Even the Audi R8 which handles way better than a Viper would be blown away by the Viper's power on those long straights.

Originally Posted by E60714' post='891370' date='May 27 2009, 08:12 AM
This thread was on handling, which I feel, relies heavily on the strength of engineering. It's about finding a balance between power and handling. That seems to be what gets the higher time on the 'ring. The Elise doesn't have power, atleast not high end power i.e. a high top speed. Isn't there a 4 mile straightaway on the 'ring? I think an M5 would start to dust the Lotus after about two miles due to its high end speed. Then the handling maybe a bit better on a Lotus, but pulling out of the turn the M5 will take it again. That's why the Viper is beating the GT-R. The GT-R is fast, but the American engine in there is for tearing it up in straight-line performance. That's where the balance part comes in.
You're agreeing with me
Old 05-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='891383' date='May 27 2009, 02:32 AM
Totally agree.

No Look at the subject title. It's about handling, which is about how the car "handles" around corners. A Lotus handles better than an Audi R8, which handles better than any standard road BMW, which handles better than the Viper being referred to that blasted the Nurburgring. Despite this handling hierarchy, the Lotus would come last when up against an R8 and a powerful BMW. Even the Audi R8 which handles way better than a Viper would be blown away by the Viper's power on those long straights.
Totally agree. i guess somewhere along the way it got into engineering and my ADD kicked in
Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

Well, jack ass statements aside, BMW is the only one of the three mentioned in the OP that has any sort of link to aviation engineering/design. BMW built some of the best aircraft engines in the world, including the world's first production turbojet that powered the ME 262 in 1944-45. Of the three companies, I was trying to make the argument that because BMW designed and built aviation components and powerplants, that the focus on engineering was from a vastly different perspective than that of MB and Audi and this is one of the reasons the BMW's handle better. I may be somewhat guilty of dumping on the talents of MB and Audi engineers, and for this I apologize.

Quick Reply: Why do BMWs handle better than cars from Mercedes-Benz and Audi?