E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Who would buy a 550i now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Gee, thats a tough one ,I'll need some time to mull this over..............................
Old 01-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='523822' date='Jan 28 2008, 11:52 AM
That's next on the agenda. As most of you know, I bought my 545i back in August 05 before I found this informative forum, and I searched to see if BMW was going to release the 4.8i engine. BMW made it a real secret (or the dealer salesperson was being deceptive) that they didn't know if BMW would put the 4.8i in the 06 release of the 5 series. If I knew, I would have waited a couple month to get into a 550i instead of a 545i. I couldn't get any dealers to confirm the 06 release.
Yes...thats a heart sinking feeling. I was lucky. When I test drove a 545 in Sept 8, 2005, I couldn't order a 545 anymore, just the site unseen 550. Then, there seemed to be a big difference in how the 530 (which I also test drove that day) and the 545 performed and going with 545/550 was an easy decision! I ordered the 550 on the spot. Coincedentally, my son was born the next morning @ 5:50AM!!!! So who would by a 550 now? Someone like me who saw the sign!!!! lol
Old 01-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='523833' date='Jan 28 2008, 08:13 AM
Yes...thats a heart sinking feeling. I was lucky. When I test drove a 545 in Sept 8, 2005, I couldn't order a 545 anymore, just the site unseen 550. Then, there seemed to be a big difference in how the 530 (which I also test drove that day) and the 545 performed and going with 545/550 was an easy decision! I ordered the 550 on the spot. Coincedentally, my son was born the next morning @ 5:50AM!!!! So who would by a 550 now? Someone like me who saw the sign!!!! lol
It can be, and I've certainly had it... but I learned a long time ago to avoid Buyer's Remorse, make an intelligent choice based on what is available and known to you at the time, then make it be a successful and highly pleasureable one. Really, how can anyone be disappointed they went for an '08 550i given everything we know about it, only because <maybe> a TT4.4L is available in a few months or more likely a couple years??!! If you want to dwell on the what-if's about the new motor down the road, well so be it. I for one have <never> been a fan of buying the FIRST EDITION of a new motor, and wouldn't wait a month to order this one. Maybe wrong but that's just my preference.

Cal
Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Well, to be honest. I ordered the 550 because a comparably equipped 535 wasnt that much less if you lease and why not get the top of the range if you can afford it? I happen to love the M-tech kit and the 172's and the exhuast and the tighter suspension. If I am not mistaken, those things are exclusive to the 550. If I wasnt in a position to do this and I needed to cut corners somewhere, I would have gone with the 535 and I'm sure I would have been pretty happy. Unless ofcourse I was driving behind a Carbon Black 550.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Did you test drive both? If you did, can you tell the difference?
How about different suspension only available with 550i?
If you need to justify financially you should like at the actual payment and bang-for-the-buck ratio.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Members

LOL, not again!!

There is no ending to this, what some people are missing here is that the decision making breaks buyers into three different segments. A segment that wants top of the line out the box and a sement that is looking to mod and last segment that look at from a pure financial and economy point of view. Depending in which camp you are in or lean towards then you will find the decision made confirms it.
I drove the 335 and 535 and 550 and there is no question that performance out of the box the 550i is ahead. I also evaluated the financial aspect and was willing to spend about 4K more and from economy the consumption is very close. As to moding, I am really not interested.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

Originally Posted by bimmerturn' post='523854' date='Jan 28 2008, 11:57 AM
LOL, not again!!

There is no ending to this, what some people are missing here is that the decision making breaks buyers into three different segments. A segment that wants top of the line out the box and a sement that is looking to mod and last segment that look at from a pure financial and economy point of view. Depending in which camp you are in or lean towards then you will find the decision made confirms it.
I drove the 335 and 535 and 550 and there is no question that performance out of the box the 550i is ahead. I also evaluated the financial aspect and was willing to spend about 4K more and from economy the consumption is very close. As to moding, I am really not interested.
Amen my brother.

This back and forth will never go away...From a guy that ordered a 535 and ended up w/ a 550, I agree with the out of the box, top of the line comment by B man...I'm glad where I ended up, but have a buddy whose gonna mod his TT, and cant wait to take delivery. Different strokes for diff folks...
Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

This debate has been going on for sometime now. Mine is better than yours, because of this, that and the other. If money is the deciding factor, because you get more for less, thats great. But, these are BMWs....the ultimate driving machine....these cars are far from practical. They cost a lot of money just to get it and to maintain as we all know is very expensive. So for those of us who want to spend the extra $$$$ for the V8, congratulations to us and for those of you who thought they were being practical with the TT I6, that's great as well. I am not a fan of turbos and superchargers, but this is what the manufacturers are doing nowadays, to increase performance numbers so we can sell more cars and stay competitive. The Z01 is back with a supercharger now or the GTR to get the best bang for the buck.

Everyone wants race car performance, lets all get the m6. Is that cost prohibitive for many of us? We all get trapped in the moment about our E60s, but the reality is they are 4 door sedans with great performance and agility, but since we need to be practical the 2 door sports coupe are not an option for some of us.

What I really want is a turbo 997 or a veyron with 4 turbos as a matter of fact for my performance ride. If we can afford both cars (E60 and rocket car), then we would do it.

I like NA over turbo/supercharged cars to begin with, that is why I stayed with the V8. M5 was a little of my range and the V8 was my compromise. I have owned many 6 six cylinders cars, but was always a fan of displacement. There is alot of talk about fuel efficiency, my recommendation is to get a prius or better yet a bicycle with a side car.

My 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Members

After driving both a 535 and 550i, I just took delivery of a 2008 550i on Friday. Thanks for a lot of your help over the past few weeks. Why (my opinion)?

1) Sport Package looks awesome
2) 172 wheels - love em
3) Carbon Black Metallic
4) Performance without the need to mod - like the growl of the motor

Interesting to note that the insurance was almost double for the 550i. I guess the insurance company bases it on just the displacement and not the power.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='523674' date='Jan 28 2008, 09:24 AM
Give that you could get essentially all the options in a 535i as you would in a 550i (except the engine itself), why would anyone get a 550i now and pay more? For a few $$ thousands, you can boost the I6 to equal or better engine power.

Somebody enlighten me.

seems this would be the e60.net never ending discussion!!

Quick Reply: Who would buy a 550i now?