E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Who would buy a 550i now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're really looking to make friends here arent you? Your point of view is pretty biased, wouldnt you say?
I am sure it is, is my personal opinion.

Do you feel bad when an M5 passes you by?
I wish I had an M5 but I can not afford one, when one passes me by I feel that I want one but can't have it, so I guess that could be described as bad. yes.

The same reasons you didnt lease an M5 could be the same reasons someone didnt lease a 550 and went with a 535 whatever the reason.
Agreed 100%

Why would you choose to try and make someone feel bad about their decision?
I am not, on the contrary, I am saying don't feel bad.

I dont get it. It's the logic of a 16 yr. old. My bet is you either ARE 16 or you're just looking to ruffle feathers.
I wish I was 16, but I am a little older than that.
[/quote]
Old 02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Contributors

Alrighty then. Glad you cleared that up. Now I fully understand you.

All the best
Old 02-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by zen68' post='526121' date='Feb 1 2008, 10:45 PM
I did not see anything implying that the warranty is a "agreement/collaboration" between Dinan and BMW. In fact, Dinan even has a disclaimer:

"The installation of Dinan Performance Products and systems may affect the vehicle manufacturer?s new car limited warranty. The vehicle manufacturer?s new car limited warranty may not apply to modifications to a vehicle or the installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which substantially alter the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which result in damage to other original vehicle manufacturer?s components"

I also called and talked to Eric (Dinan's sale rep). He said Dinan's products are developed by Dinan's engineers, BMW has never involved in any product development.

I don't mean to start an argument. I'm interested in some Dinan mods myself (stage2 suspension, and probably cold air intake) but have been reluctant to do it because of warranty concern. May be I'll wait until BMW warranty expires.

Either way, have fun with your car. I'm sure it's a beast with 384HP
That's what happens when you read part of a contract, things get taken out of text. Dinan will warranty anything that goes wrong, including consequential damage. What you are reading is that they will not warranty if you do other modifications other than Dinan modifications. They test there products on stock cars and thats what they warranty.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Casper' post='526243' date='Feb 2 2008, 10:33 AM
After reading each one of many posts, and carefully analyzing each argument, the clear conclusion is that the 550i is better than the 535i.

There is no doubt.

Those who decided on the 535i, enjoy, it is a great car also, you should be happy with it.
Don't feel bad when you see a 550i sport in Carbon Black pass by, remember that when the time comes to replace your car you get to choose again, go with the 555i when available.

The fact that most of you feel the need to mod your 535's is probably the best argument , (vishnu, dinan, etc).

The 550 is ready to be enjoyed, does not need mods.

I have respect for everyone regardless of what car they drive, but sometimes things are so clear and we create unnecesary debates.

Enjoy your cars, 535's are great cars and I would be happy with one if I had not chosen the 550.

Now I am looking forward to the 555i or whatever model designation BMW uses, my lease is up in 24 months, so I plan to drive my 550i for 2 years and enjoy it to the max, isn't it great not having to worry about maintenance?
Your are a special and beautiful person too.
The reason we modify our 535's to performance levels exceeding other 535/545/550's is because we can. The car was designed for that flexibility. The 550 has to be enjoyed as it is because there is nothing reasonable that you could do to it. It is last years thinking and it will be abandoned by BMW shortly. Not meaning to be rude but I think that puts things into perspective...
The 550 wins hands down on exhaust note, its hard to get a turbo car to sound good with plumbing stuck in the exhaust track.
(if this annoys, read my next post)
Old 02-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Casper' post='526360' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:06 PM
Guys, I am entitled to my opinion, I am not doing any personal attacks. I tought this forum had rules against personal attacks and that instead of attacking back I should complain to the moderators, but I am not doing that. Honestly, What is so wrong with my post? I am the one that posted about being banned from bimmerfest but was reinstated immediately, guess that "branded" me with some guys here.

I said the 535 is a great car and I would be happy if I had one.

Any way, I am going to ignore your personal attacks but will maintain my opinions on the subject.
Guys, I don't agree with Casper but he can have his opinion. We are all just have fun and it rarely goes too far. Right now there is nothing new to talk about and it appears our cars are running well, when something goes wrong everyone mobilizes to help everyone else no matter what they drive
Old 02-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Casper' post='526361' date='Feb 2 2008, 05:12 PM
You're really looking to make friends here arent you? Your point of view is pretty biased, wouldnt you say?
I am sure it is, is my personal opinion.

Do you feel bad when an M5 passes you by?
I wish I had an M5 but I can not afford one, when one passes me by I feel that I want one but can't have it, so I guess that could be described as bad. yes.

The same reasons you didnt lease an M5 could be the same reasons someone didnt lease a 550 and went with a 535 whatever the reason.
Agreed 100%

Why would you choose to try and make someone feel bad about their decision?
I am not, on the contrary, I am saying don't feel bad.

I dont get it. It's the logic of a 16 yr. old. My bet is you either ARE 16 or you're just looking to ruffle feathers.
I wish I was 16, but I am a little older than that.
The price difference between the 535 and 550 is only $150 per month on a lease, thats the price of one dinner with a hottie. Anyone that got a 535 and really wanted a 550 could find a way to do it.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='526424' date='Feb 2 2008, 08:03 PM
when something goes wrong everyone mobilizes to help everyone else no matter what they drive
I think you have really cut to the heart of what matters!

(BTW, why do you list your car as a 535is - I don't think BMW has used that designation for a 5er since the E34)
Old 02-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='526445' date='Feb 2 2008, 09:09 PM
I think you have really cut to the heart of what matters!

(BTW, why do you list your car as a 535is - I don't think BMW has used that designation for a 5er since the E34)
I just ran out and looked at the door sticker and you are correct, its a 535iA. My 545 was listed as a 545is on the door sticker, and I thought it was because of the sport package but maybe it was because of the SMG? I thought mine was an "is", I will of course change my sig and avatar.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='526448' date='Feb 2 2008, 09:17 PM
I just ran out and looked at the door sticker and you are correct, its a 535iA. My 545 was listed as a 545is on the door sticker, and I thought it was because of the sport package but maybe it was because of the SMG? I thought mine was an "is", I will of course change my sig and avatar.
Interesting. I don't think I've ever looked at my door sticker.

My 2nd 3er was a 320iS - not sure what the door sticker said but it was one of the only models sold in the U.S. with badge delete.

(Ja, I'll probably run down to the garage soon and look)
Old 02-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='526421' date='Feb 2 2008, 07:57 PM
Your are a special and beautiful person too.
The reason we modify our 535's to performance levels exceeding other 535/545/550's is because we can. The car was designed for that flexibility. The 550 has to be enjoyed as it is because there is nothing reasonable that you could do to it. It is last years thinking and it will be abandoned by BMW shortly. Not meaning to be rude but I think that puts things into perspective...
The 550 wins hands down on exhaust note, its hard to get a turbo car to sound good with plumbing stuck in the exhaust track.
(if this annoys, read my next post)

I have to confess that when my 545i lease was close to expiration and I had to decide on it's replacement, I went trough the 535 or 550 decision. I drove both, twice. I could hardly tell the difference in power between them, I was rationalizing that the 535 was so close to the 550 for $7k less, I wanted it to be better or at least as good or close.

Then I did my numbers, remember I always do ED, and I have an arrangement with my dealer, invoice plus $1k, money factor base rate plus 0.00020. The delta was aprox $100.

Like someone here said, $ 100 a month is peanuts, in Miami a dinner for two in an nice medium restaurant (wine and dessert) is aprox $ $100.00 (without drinks, like a martini now is $12.00 average in most places)

So, the decision was simple, a 535i, cool car, it accelerated almost as a 550 (Remember I had been driving a 545 for 3 years) and the 550.

So, how did I decide:

1-Sport wheels on the 535 where the same I've had on the 545 for 3 years, I always liked them ( I hand washed them for 3 years) neutral
2-The 550 had a V8 with 30hp more than what I had on my 545. pro
3-The 550 had the cool body kit - pro
4-The 550i had 19" wheels, different from the ones I had had for 3 years - pro
5-The 550 claimed to have M tuned suspension and non RFT tires - pro
6-The 550 costed $ 8000 more , but on my lease doing ED only $100 a month - neutral
7-535 could be modifed easier than 550 , and for only $1500 more you could have the power of a 550 (witouth same wheels nor aerokit, and risking voiding warranty plus time invested in buying and installing upgrade) neutral
8-aerokit, special exclusive paint and wheels on 550 - pro
9-And yes, not the only factor but included in decision tree - exclusivity, label 550i higher then 535i, higher model, more expensive, less common, etc - pro

I just did the math.

I simply choose the 550i. I never did the same analysis against the M5 because I knew there is no ED discount, lease money factor always high, etc. So the delta in lease payment was very high, like a 550i was only $100 more than a 535, but an M5 would be $ 400 a month more tahn a 550i.

So, I choose a 550i sport, and that is why, in my opinion, the 550i is a better buy than a 535. A hard to argue with opinion, would not you say so?

As always, my respect to all 528i and 535i drivers, you have great taste and excellent car, a 550 is no better or worse, each one chooses according to it's own standards, mine were mostly economical.

Regards

Casper

Quick Reply: Who would buy a 550i now?